How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-09-2005
windowshopping

i just finished my last year of high school on friday...and now i have to make a portfolio for the things i want to do at uni...i havent even started yet and it has to be done in less than a month..lol yikes - i always leave things way too late..do you guys think i can make it look half decent in less than a month?

Last edited by rocca; 24-09-2005 at 07:29 AM.

24-09-2005
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessmaiden
Hello.
I am really bothered by the term,MIXED MEDIA.What does it mean?
Thank you very much .
just means using different medias (i.e. watercolours, pencils, markers,charcoal) to create a image/illustration.

hope that makes sense

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
24-09-2005
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessmaiden
Does the size of the folio matter?Do you have to be really good in drawing?I am not really good at it.(I really suck)So,I am really worried about me not being accepted at uni.
the size of the folio doesnt really matter its best to use the size that you feel comfortable working with! or which you find displays your work best!

and i cant really answer the drawing thing because it really depends upon the course you are applying for. some you can get away with being able to draw very little but other courses you will actually be expected to draw

hope thats of some help

24-09-2005
rising star

This thread is so helpful...great sketching tips! thanks everyone!

24-09-2005
backstage pass

There's a book called Portfolio Presentation for Fashion Designers which gives all the info you really need. Really industry-focused with lots of examples. I highly recommend it. I believe it's put together ar Parsons or FIT... one of those New York schools. Check it out at amazon below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...08634?v=glance

scenester

That makes sense now.Thanks a lot.I thought it was something more complicated.Thanks once again.

21-10-2005
windowshopping

Everything about your fashion portfolio...
Dear fashion people here,

I was talking to a senior fashion expert here and she suggested me to have collective opinions for fashion portfolio while applying to fashion school. I love to share your aesthetics and elaboration to understand the type of the applicant's portfolio they request:

1. Personal work of free artistic inspirations e.g. pix, photographs video films, etc. (I love taking pictures while traveling and I have a website for different albums too, and does that count? Or should I print the pix out like photo albums for them?)

2. fashion design ( in what format will you suggest?)

3. Research and collages about contemporary fashion design(Paris, London, Milan, New York, Tokyo, Antwerp...) show which collections/designers inspire you, and you find innovative and contemporary and why. (Should I just research and collage designers' collection that I like and make them like a fashion studying report? Or do you have any example for reference?)

4. Collages that show the sources of inspiration, illustrate the personal range of interest and convey the applicant's aesthetic sense(including the work of artists in the field: film, architecture, plastic arts,music, and design...etc)---(and what do u suggest to combine movies, music and design do this work. )

Your cool suggetion, experience or even a reference book to write this kind of report will be appreciated.

Cheers,
katyWing

22-10-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm curious too !

22-10-2005
windowshopping

To work like a fashion designer without a break?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
Thanks for starting this thread, I'm curious too !
You are welcome indie. Glad to know I'm not the only one who is confused about the portfolio for applying fashion schools. We have to keep on figuring it out.

windowshopping

I'm drawing my Chinese traditional dress design right now and I'm taking patternmaking course 3 days after work. Although I'm not sure how to start the other 3 requests from the portfolio, I'm walking to my dream school. Anyone guide me or advise me will be a gift.

tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyWing
Dear fashion people here,

I was talking to a senior fashion expert here and she suggested me to have collective opinions for fashion portfolio while applying to fashion school. I love to share your aesthetics and elaboration to understand the type of the applicant's portfolio they request:

1. Personal work of free artistic inspirations e.g. pix, photographs video films, etc. (I love taking pictures while traveling and I have a website for different albums too, and does that count? Or should I print the pix out like photo albums for them?)

2. fashion design ( in what format will you suggest?)

3. Research and collages about contemporary fashion design(Paris, London, Milan, New York, Tokyo, Antwerp...) show which collections/designers inspire you, and you find innovative and contemporary and why. (Should I just research and collage designers' collection that I like and make them like a fashion studying report? Or do you have any example for reference?)

4. Collages that show the sources of inspiration, illustrate the personal range of interest and convey the applicant's aesthetic sense(including the work of artists in the field: film, architecture, plastic arts,music, and design...etc)---(and what do u suggest to combine movies, music and design do this work. )

Your cool suggetion, experience or even a reference book to write this kind of report will be appreciated.

Cheers,
katyWing
1. you could create a laptop presentation i did this for my interview although it was pictures of the garments i had made since i wasnt allowed to bring them to the interview. it was a simple powerpoint presentation and they said they were impressed because it showed that i could handle computers and create a presentation in addition to the skills that the photos themselves showed.

2. the fashion design aspects im my folder consisted of my own clothes i had designed and made and fashion illustrations

3. for this i had to fill out a questionnaire of designers and design influences i liked disliked etc. and they also asked me questions of this sort. i think its more equipting yourself with the knowledge to answer questions asked, rather than actually putting it into your portfolio.

4. totally dont know how to answer this one

i also included some of my art work, photography and other work in my portfolio to show a wider range of work so it wasnt completely design based

hope that sort of helps and good luck

30-10-2005
crossed wires.

They are VERY BIG on sketchbooks....they prefer to see the process than the final outcome at times...showing how you work and get to a certain conclusion etc.

windowshopping

Good lesson!
Thank you. You just brought some good points for preparing art work. That should work! Btw, which school are you attending now? curious : DkatyWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance.Is.Refusal.
1. you could create a laptop presentation i did this for my interview although it was pictures of the garments i had made since i wasnt allowed to bring them to the interview. it was a simple powerpoint presentation and they said they were impressed because it showed that i could handle computers and create a presentation in addition to the skills that the photos themselves showed.

2. the fashion design aspects im my folder consisted of my own clothes i had designed and made and fashion illustrations

3. for this i had to fill out a questionnaire of designers and design influences i liked disliked etc. and they also asked me questions of this sort. i think its more equipting yourself with the knowledge to answer questions asked, rather than actually putting it into your portfolio.

4. totally dont know how to answer this one

i also included some of my art work, photography and other work in my portfolio to show a wider range of work so it wasnt completely design based

hope that sort of helps and good luck

windowshopping

thanx for your lesson!
thanks. that works too!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab_fifties_fille
They are VERY BIG on sketchbooks....they prefer to see the process than the final outcome at times...showing how you work and get to a certain conclusion etc.

scenester

Do folios have to be really neat/clean?what things could be sticked in folios?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school