How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-11-2005
scenester

One more question.What is a color slide???

01-11-2005
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyWing
Thank you. You just brought some good points for preparing art work. That should work! Btw, which school are you attending now? curious : DkatyWing
im currently in my first year at Northumbria university studying fashion marketing

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
13-11-2005
windowshopping

A color slide is a film positive. Also can be referred to as a transparency, although usually i've heard "transparency" used to denote larger format (6x6, 6x7, 4x5, 8x10, etc), while generally i've always heard "slide" to indicate 35mm. And to translate to non-photo geek-language, a film positive is the opposite of a film negative. Whereas most film (still, home-use) is shot on film that produces negatives (colors and values reversed on the strip of film) and then you have prints made from it, slides are shot on a positive film--after the film is processed, you can hold it up to the light and see exactly the same thing as what you shot. (Color slides used to be used a lot more for home-use than they are now. The stereotype is of vacation pictures--the long boring slide show. What's being presented are color slides, although generally your portfolio will feature your work rather than the "World's Largest Ball of Twine." Unless of course, that is your work.)
I'm not sure what context you came across it. I've got a fine arts background and usually your portfolio in that context consists of 35mm mounted color slides. To be viewed well, you have to project them or view them on a light table. That's why for a general purpose professional portfolio (one that you're not submitting to galleries or mailing to school admissions) you do NOT want your portfolio to consist of slides. There's really no way to guarantee ahead of time that the company you're interviewing with will have a slide projector (at all, let alone set up and ready to go), or a light table in a convenient place for interviewing, and you don't want to make your interviewer sit there holding teensy bits of plastic up at the light fixtures and squinting at them.
Basically for portfolios, if you're going there in person, you want a book of prints. If you're mailing a school application (or sometimes scholarship applications), or submitting work in a fine art context, you want your portfolio to consist of COPIES of your slides. (This is important as very rarely are slides ever returned. Take the original slides that you want in your portfolio to the place you had them processed at and have them make you a batch of copies to send out.)

19-11-2005
front row

I applied to uni for fashion promotion and publicity, what should I put in my portfolio?

19-11-2005
front row

wow great portfolio luna!

20-11-2005
rising star

yiiiiiikes, i have nothing to put in a portfolio yet
how long have i got?

02-12-2005
scenester

Do folios have to be neat/tidy???
THANKS

02-12-2005
crossed wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessmaiden
THANKS
Well yes it's best that they are...because if you're taking along a messy portfolio to an interview...it's a reflection of yourself, so bascially you'd be putting out this messy portfolio infront of them and saying 'so this is me, this is how i work'...it needs to be easy to look at visually, and be easy to follow.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessmaiden
THANKS
YES. I would say sketches can be sketchy, i.e. not finished drawings with all the stray lines removed (in fact a lot of art schools prefer this, at least when heading into their fine arts programs), but you MUST go through with a soft brush and sweep off all the eraser leavings and whatnot. And if the drawings have been ripped from a spiral notebook, you need to cut off those little edge-hanging-bits. And unless it's a deliberate design element, no torn edges. All completed work should be mounted square on the page (collage elements, I'd say, can be deliberately not-on-square/crooked, probably). I'd say float-mounting work is fine, window-mounting is overly obsessive. But preparing your portfolio is the time to break out the T-squares and rulers and all that.
Generally, the theory is, if you can't take the time to present your work in the best way, are you really going to take the time with the work once you're there?
Basically, you don't want to have anything distracting your interviewer from your work and its brilliance.

05-12-2005
scenester

fab fifties fillies and sinople,thank you very much for your answers.I was going to start doing my folio so I decided to ask the experts.THANKS!!!!

08-12-2005
scenester

digital retouching
I digitally enhance, retouch, and even apply cosmetics digitally. If anyone would like to boost they're portfolio, (and mine too ) PM me to see what can be worked out!

29-12-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i have a site www.eguana.8m.com and i ve always though that if i needed to do a presentation id simply carry the site on my flash disc and guide te people am presenting to. Makes it much easier since all the pages are well organised.

windowshopping

I was looking through this thread to get ideas for my portfolio for interviews for work placements.

For my interview for university I used an A1 portfolio but also had a seperate suitcase (it fits with my work and my personality ) for sketchbooks but now i'm in my 2nd year at uni they're telling us A3 portfolios is the MAXIMUM size you should take with you for interviews in the industry, suggesting A4 is best and even recommending as small as A5. Does anyone know what companies actually expect when applying for jobs?

Also a lot of my work is more art based and textural (sp?) so photoshopping work makes it look flat and unispiring. what do people think about ultra-polished computer finished work over hand produced work?

thanks x

10-01-2006
windowshopping

HELP!! I need to have a portfolio ready for college applications before the end of february.

I've got no formal experience but I've made a number of clothes over the years and I've set up a shoot and stuff...........but I dont know what else to put in there...

any ideas anyone..........i'm a first timer so i need ALL the help i can get....thanxxx

11-01-2006
windowshopping

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...chool+tomorrow

would really love all of your input!
thanks mark

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school