How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2006
bonjour antlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox in the Snow
^oh and i left out the most important part - that a creative, be she a copywriter or an art director must have a great portfolio to even get a first interview or an internship...a really great book will always win out over education, no matter what.
Could you explain what should be in a portfolio? Are there ads that you've designed from scratch or can you take an ad you think is okay and redo it (laying it out side by side)? What's acceptable and what isn't?

Thanks in advance!

01-04-2006
backstage pass

Most creative directors (that i've met, anyway) want to see at least 6 mocked-up campaigns, in series of 3 ads on the same strategy. no beer ads, no make-up or fashion, as those are things that are really easy and or too 'student-y'. If you can come up with a brilliant idea for, say, table salt or something else really uninteresting than you'll get attention. Of course, this is harder!

As far as your idea of improving on current work that's out there, it's very risky because redoing the ad is assuming you know and understand the original brief as well as the people who produced the real thing. it could work, however, if your idea is bullet-proof, but unless this is the case, you're putting your credibility unncessarily on the line straight away. If it's just something you cannot bear to leave out, you can test it on a couple of CDs and see what they say, most most of all, you want to be positive with anything in your book that it attributes to an overall picture of your skill and talent as an individual - not biting other people's work. I wouldn't put 'real' work alongside your work, no.

Also, NO FILLER! if it's not your best and you know it, don't put it in and do keep working on it until you have at least 4 solid campaigns with the goal of six in total or even a bit more if you have something decent to add, before you start shopping it around. Creative Directors are incredibly busy people and they don't want to waste their time on a portfolio with 2 or 3 campaigns in it. That's not enough to prove anything. They also don't want to have to leaf through 30 crap campaigns digging for something of merit, either.

Also if something has a current and very successful campaign with high recognition, it's best to stay away from it, e.g. Dove.

In terms of the overall lay out, you want to start strong and finish even stronger, so your 2nd best campaign in the front, and the absolute best is the last thing the CD should see - that will be your final impression.

Good luck! It's a lot of hard work but when it's all put together it feels quite good! It's even better when you can start expanding it with 'real' work!

Last edited by Fox in the Snow; 01-04-2006 at 02:08 AM.
02-04-2006
V.I.P.

^Thank you so so much! That was incredibly helpful.

My aunt worked for an ad agency (she quit a couple months ago to go freelance), but she was so revered her boss cried when she quit! Anyway, she is going to try to get me an internship with an agency and I'm wondering what should I expect to do interning? I get sooo nervous during interviews.

Also a question about the portfolio, what materials should I use to create one? Does it have to be fancy and photoshopped? And can these ads be prints AND commercials?

thanks!

Last edited by Fabulyss; 02-04-2006 at 09:29 AM.
03-04-2006
backstage pass

^what you do while you're interning depends totally on what kind of agency it is. When I interned, I was writing radio on my first day. I knew some people who got through 3 months without doing much more than making coffee and writing emails. It all depends. Most of the time, you'll some work that the established creative teams don't want to do - likely things like banner ads or POP if it's a multimedia agency. You may also get little 'assignments' from the CD to test you out, that may or may not be actually used.

The portfolio can be many different types - i've seen all kinds used. A standard small - sized or art-director sized can be used, it should all be photoshopped, and most of it should be print, unless you are confident enough in your screenwriting abilities to put a script in there, but you should concentrate on print first and foremost - everyone wants to do television, so it's pretty presumptuous to put it in there without any experience.

windowshopping

Thanks Pillarist~

I had another question though,

are these companies in the UK? or in the US?

08-04-2006
fashion elite

Ohh this is one of the areas I'm thinking of going into. but i don't really know (only 16 lol)..buut Harrison & Shriftman does a lot with fashion/luxury brands. They're more of a marketing agency though, one of the Bush twins interned there once I believe. There are a ton of boutique/luxury type marketing/advertising/PR agencies in NY that deal with fashion designers. You could look on search engines or business type websites for their specific names!! Many of the agencies have offices in major US cities, and some worldwide as well.

08-04-2006
rising star

I'm having a problem with knowing what I want to do AFTER I get my BA. I a communications major and am totally overwhelmed with the possibilities. I also have a really hard time making up my mind. Anyone have any good ideas somewhat related to fashion and advertising or PR?

see me at myspace http://www.myspace.com/23845095

08-04-2006
rising star

hi fashion40, alot of the agencies are based worldwide, though many of the smaller agencies are based mostly in europe (france, italy, london, etc). though my favorite, WCRS, is based in London. I'm a big fan of what they've done for BMW and BUPA.

trendsetter

I'm going for school in Advertising, and i'm soooo nervous about the competition and everything. I really didn't want to deticate my life in the fashion industry but I did want to be in somewhat ways part of it, and I love advertising and I thought it was a great connection.

This thread helps a lot.

Thanks guys,

10-04-2006
windowshopping

Does anyone have suggestions for amazing Advertising schools Internationaly?

15-08-2006
backstage pass

hello

this is a great thread!

i am thinking about going into advertising course or graphics. ive done many research however, still can't seperate these two precisely. I'm hoping someone can clarify.

i would like to come up with themes, and poses, writing , all for fashion editorials....is this an opportunity if i study advertising?
i am confused, is it the photographer, stylist, who comes up with the concept?

if i get an advertising degree, what opportunities is there that is fashion related?

i read someone posted about copywriters coming up with the concept. i thought copywriters just write?

thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread! =)

backstage pass

Advertising Degree >> ad agencies / freelancing / working for companies
i am wondering, is these three the choices that you have when you do a degree in advertising?

and which is the most preferable choice?

thankyou for your advice

V.I.P.

^I think I've said in a thread before that studying for advertising doesn't necessarily make you more of a favourable candidate to work in an ad agency. I guess it depends where you live but in the UK, most people who go into advertising won't have studied it before. Vocational courses in the UK don't really prepare you all that well for the advertising world and agencies tend to look for a special quality rather than vocational qualifications.

What area of advertising are you looking to get into? The creative art direction/copy writing aspect? Or the account management/planning side?

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
15-08-2006
backstage pass

thanks susie bubble, what kind of qualities ?

i am not too sure what seperates creative art direction to copy writing, and planning? i'll love it if you would try to explain it too me. i've researched it a number of times, but i just can't put my finger on it

windowshopping

A brief breakdown-

Art/Creative Director usually work with the creative teams to produce the ad material- anyone from graphic design teams to photographers, etc.

Copy writing designs the message: a phrase- something that either inspires the campaign and creates the concepts or something that strengthens the strategy of the campaign.

Account management/planning: Coordinates and manages the project timeline and communicates between the clients and the creative teams. They help to strategically develop the concept: communicate what the clients want to the art director/creative teams- the creatives then make it a reality....

Feel free to ask me some more questions! I hope that clarifies a bit-

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advertising, agencies, copywriting