How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-04-2011
unspecified

Can anybody help me create the rss feed? If the explanation is fool-proof, it would be waaaaay better, because I am one in these matters... S. O. S. please!

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style

25-04-2011
windowshopping

^^ Petit Lucille, your RSS feed is http://pilchero.wordpress.com/rss

25-04-2011
rising star

SEO considerations
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiss View Post
On successful SEO strategy...

Keywords
Use in a smart way keywords.

Rich Text
In fashion we have lot of images and videos, by using the right information in Text.... People will be able to found what they re looking for.

Thread Title
Thread titles are very important, and should contain right Keywords.

Simple site architecture
Layout of the website should be very easy to navigate, that would make easier for google robots for example to index your content.

Links developement
Share you're URL the most you can ! Like to write smart comment on a forum or other blogs.

I just share what I understood. If someone can explain better, he or she is more than welcome !

Hey, kikiss! Thanks for sharing this!

I'd like to add some other considerations about SEO strategy.

Keywords
Or better yet keyphrase analysis (keyword phrase). Google gives more relevance when there is a phrase match between the keywords users types and a phrase on a page. Use Google Adword's Keyword Tool as a free tool analysing what actual Google users type in the search box. But better yet open a Google Adword free account (you don't need to have a site or buy anything) as it will give you more results to analyse. Use this tool as a starting point before going further with Yahoo and Bing.

Rich Text
Yes, fashion sites tend to be very visual and forget creating search engine friendly text (copy). This is specially important for new/unknown brands.

Search engine submission
Before becoming a SEO pro submit your site to the search engines! (Google, Yahoo and Bing). Pretty obvious, right? But some people forget! Anyway, this is something you can do on your own and doesn't cost anything (just the time it takes learning where to submit and submiting the link itself). If you have a blog based on a popular platform (i.e. Blogger, Wordpress) you don't have to care about submitting.

Indexing
That is ensuring all your relevant pages from your site can be read by the search engines. Even this is basic SEO routine some companies (even big companies!) fail to index relevant pages! If someone is interested to know if his/her site has been index by the search engines just ask here and I'll answer right in this thread.

Links developement
Or External linking. The aim of this SEO activity is to get linked by quality sites (as for Google, high PageRank sites): the more links a page has from good quality sites, the better their ranking. I'd suggest to formulate a link development strategy as this is one of the most important search engine marketing activities you need to take into account.

NOTE: Leaving comments on blogs it's a good promotional activity to do (as it can get you some traffic from original blog) BUT DOESN'T IMPACT your PageRank...unless blog creator quotes your comment and/or includes your link into his/her original post!

On-page optimisation
The aim of this activity is to match between search terms entered and the occurrence of the words on the page that influence search engine rankings. kikiss already gave us some nice tips. But there are more things to consider thou.

Internal link structures
Include your keyphrases within the anchor text of a hyperlink to point to relevant content. Consider how to increase the number of internal links to pages which you want to rank well. Yes, you need to know some basic HTML to get the best of this.

Finally, let's not forget that SEO is one of the two parts that makes the Search Engine Marketing . The other one being Paid search marketing.

:p

Anyone here cares to share his/her experience using paid search marketing (i.e. pay-per-click, Google Adwords, etc.)? Cheers in advance!

13-06-2011
scenester

It's funny how the passion for Fashion Blog went that quiet...

I'm like F0F0 looking forward to read somebody with his/her experience using paid search marketing !

I got a small thing to say...
I can see more and more, men's fashion blogs with Cars ad, Liquors ad, and bad taste things. I'm wondering how the admins cannot feel guilty to put stuff like that on their websites.

Ok they won money, ok ad companies and brands will RT on Twitter, and sometimes free clothes but come on !

That's it.... sorry about that litte angry moment...

rising star

Quote:
It's funny how the passion for Fashion Blog went that quiet...

I'm like F0F0 looking forward to read somebody with his/her experience using paid search marketing !

I got a small thing to say...
I can see more and more, men's fashion blogs with Cars ad, Liquors ad, and bad taste things. I'm wondering how the admins cannot feel guilty to put stuff like that on their websites.

Ok they won money, ok ad companies and brands will RT on Twitter, and sometimes free clothes but come on !

That's it.... sorry about that litte angry moment...
Salut kikiss and relax!

I don't see any problem with seeing ads in a men's journal, magazine, fanzine, newspapers, etc. As a matter of fact I certainly expect to see those as a male consumer. Whilst I don't like ads I also tacitly understand that pay the bills for the provider of the product/service am consuming/using.

As for the thing about being bad taste, well, that depends on the eye of the beholder! John Waters, the film master of bad taste , loves Commes de GarÁons (is she that awful ?). But if the target audience doesn't like the ads, the credibility of the fashion blogger will eventually go away and soon will follow his/her audience and sponsors.

The production of fashion blogs should continue in order to support emerging (and established) designers. Now more than ever before!!! Why? Because of the insatiable, enormous consumer appetite for fresh clothes coming from western countries and emerging economies (translated in those ever-faster production cycles rates from the likes of Zara, H&M, Primark et al, which in turn requires loads of new design and designers, which in turn demands tons of promotional activity, which in turns necessitates hundreds of fashion curators like kikiss and other fashion bloggers, which in turns...etc.). If I had a private jet, plenty of time, and strong and massive lungs I'd travel around the world shouting: "Fashion blogger, don't quit!"

13-06-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0F0 View Post
Salut kikiss and relax!
Salut !
Hahahahh I felt more relax after I post my last post

Well it's not Advertising that I complained about it, it's more on "Advertised Post"...
To give you an example, I try to follow men's fashion bloggers from France to see what they do.
Finally I start to understand that most of them are under to the same "Advertising agency", and they all report on the same liquor, and two weeks later on the same car. (Copy paste sometimes of press release...)

Bad taste, I was talking about cars, and liquors....not clothes...
I know that I can't argue on taste....(but come on Kia Motors, you're quoting Oscar Wilde, they're calling themself "Dandies" and they are writing about KIA motors ! HAhhahh !)

Quote:
But if the target audience doesn't like the ads, the credibility of the fashion blogger will eventually go away and soon will follow his/her audience and sponsors.
I think by doing that fashion blogs are loosing credibility to the purist eyes (very few), but they will earn new followers (a lot), with the help of the Ad companies.

Quote:
"Fashion blogger, don't quit!"
Hahahah nice one !

I agree on the your last part, but don't you think that right now most of influential bloggers are under brands or famous magazines ? Be a blogger is leading to journalist ? Or being a blogger is the futur journalism ?
The debat between Bloggin vs Journalism is also very interesting.

ps : Btw I'm not Oscar Wilde fan, and I'm not a dandy...

Last edited by kikiss; 13-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.
13-06-2011
Fashion Designer

Whatever your style is I guess freebies are hard to turn down.

15-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Hahahahh I felt more relax after I post my last post

Well it's not Advertising that I complained about it, it's more on "Advertised Post"...
To give you an example, I try to follow men's fashion bloggers from France to see what they do.
Finally I start to understand that most of them are under to the same "Advertising agency", and they all report on the same liquor, and two weeks later on the same car. (Copy paste sometimes of press release...)
It sounds like all these fashion blogs you are mentioning deal with the same Affiliate Network (i.e. Glam Media) and/or the target fashion blogs of few PR companies. Although they offer some advantages, I'd say, off-the-record, Affiliate Network deals suck in so many levels. Firstly, as you said, because damages your brand reputation (specially in fashion where, brand image and perception is EVERYTHING) for little money . Secondly, Affiliate Networks could be exploiting your fashion blog brand name (bidding for your keywords to get better positions than you in the search engine listings). Thirdly, well, see below.

Quote:
I think by doing that fashion blogs are loosing credibility to the purist eyes (very few), but they will earn new followers (a lot), with the help of the Ad companies.
Why do you think they will earn a lot of new followers? Since when AD is the CONTENT? (Well, actually some nonpurist, myself included , check Vogue just for the photo shoots ).

In most cases advertisers are the ones to make a profit in the long term, not the brands as this is not efficient from them (some affiliate networks offer traditional, shotgut approach, above-the-line way of doing advertising). Hopefully these internet intermediaries could dissapear (or grow considerably stronger) with upcoming marketing technologies and/or new laws in favour of consumer privacy and data protection.

But then again, if the fashion blog world is cluttered with non-relevant ads, would audiences keep follow them if they had no other choice? This is why I love so much my adblocker

Quote:
Bad taste, I was talking about cars, and liquors....not clothes...
I know that I can't argue on taste....(but come on Kia Motors, you're quoting Oscar Wilde, they're calling themself "Dandies" and they are writing about KIA motors ! HAhhahh !)
Allez, relaxe, kikiss! I bet if Wilde was still alive Hyundai would sponsor him a car to go on a national lecture-tour throughout the whole USA...and I don't visualise him complaining about it (perhaps just with a witty irony quote?)!

Quote:
I agree on the your last part, but don't you think that right now most of influential bloggers are under brands or famous magazines ? Be a blogger is leading to journalist ? Or being a blogger is the futur journalism ?
The debat between Bloggin vs Journalism is also very interesting.
This is very interesting and relevant for fashion bloggers indeed. Just like 4 days ago The Huffington Post (blog) went ahead of the New York Times (journal) as the to top news website!! So yes, perhaps one day we will see The Sartorialist beating Vogue in readership! So again I shout: Fashion blogger, don't quit!

15-06-2011
scenester

In my opinion, when I said "Fashion Blogs like that gonna earn new followers..."

Well they put an article on KIA motors for example copy/paste of a basic press release made by an ad agency.

This fashion blog will link this article on Twitter, then facebook....
AD agency will RT, and put also on their facebook
KIA motors will also do the same, Re-Tweet and Facebook

Those blogs controlled by Ad company, will do around 4, 5 times by month this operation at least....
And the monthly visits, and page-views will increase easily without giving an original content. No ?

Fashion blogs, controlled completely by AD companies are creating a little bit a fake voice of independent...
Hummmm ! Not sure about if you gonna understand what I try to say.

Anyway !

Cool interviews of Bloggers from Net a Porter TV
"How are Bloggers Changing Fashion ?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WMBvxhF_a8

scenester

Love that Net-a-Porter link, and love reading everyone's takes on advertising! I should probably invest more time into it, I think.

fashion icon

I have a tumblr and ran a blog for over two years but then I stopped. I am interested in getting back into it this time with a fashion oriented blog (which would include personal shots of me too). What blog hosting site do people prefer? I've used blogger before and I like it but I want to know about some other ones too. Also any other suggestions would be welcomed.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I have a tumblr and ran a blog for over two years but then I stopped. I am interested in getting back into it this time with a fashion oriented blog (which would include personal shots of me too). What blog hosting site do people prefer? I've used blogger before and I like it but I want to know about some other ones too. Also any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Since there are several options, and I know I'm going to sound like a total cliche :p, I'd suggest you to choose a blog platform based on your future needs and the type of fashion blogger you want to become. What would YOU like to achieve in the long term? Do you want to monetize through advertising? Get freebies from brands? Promote brands you love just for fun? Develop your writing skills? Network? Create body of work to launch a professional career or land a freelance job? Interact with people around the world? Or is it just a personal endeavor?

17-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lela London View Post
Love that Net-a-Porter link, and love reading everyone's takes on advertising! I should probably invest more time into it, I think.
Yes. Fashion bloggers should invest into knowing advertising if they want advertisers investing in them.

17-06-2011
V.I.P.

This question has been discussed numerous times in this thread ... so you might want to scan the previous posts for that information.

19-06-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
If it's a hobby? Tumblr. If it's with business/professional goals in mind? Wordpress on your own domain.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread