How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

^ Many bloggers, myself included, use Wordpress and blog as a hobby. It's more a question of the design that you want to give to your blog and what platform you are most comfortable with.

20-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lela London View Post
If it's a hobby? Tumblr. If it's with business/professional goals in mind? Wordpress on your own domain.
^^^ This. ^^^

scenester

Hey guys!

I've just created a blog one week ago and I'm getting many page views but no feedback so far... Can you check it out? I know nothing about keywords and search engines.. Should I post written content? http://tmdot.blogspot.com

20-06-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPrince View Post
Hey guys!

I've just created a blog one week ago and I'm getting many page views but no feedback so far... Can you check it out? I know nothing about keywords and search engines.. Should I post written content? http://tmdot.blogspot.com
Do you mean you expect comments from readers? If so, yes, you could post written comments to complement the pictures and videos. Give your personal opinion and ask readers for theirs for example.

scenester

I'll do that! I'll post about milan menswear today with a review.. let's see if I get comments then! thanks FrenchCactus!!
And what about keywords and search engine results? So far the only result if I type "Tm dot" on google is for the blog's facebook page... Should I have a "About TM" page with strategically placed words in order to get more results from search engines?

21-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPrince View Post
I'll do that! I'll post about milan menswear today with a review.. let's see if I get comments then! thanks FrenchCactus!!
And what about keywords and search engine results? So far the only result if I type "Tm dot" on google is for the blog's facebook page... Should I have a "About TM" page with strategically placed words in order to get more results from search engines?
Oi, HPrince!

First of all, congrats! You are starting a fashion blog in an exciting and hot sector (menswear is still underestimated by the fashion industry! Oh, lordy! As a matter of fact it's growing strong and has better business forecasts than womenswear in mature markets! Specially luxury fashion! ), but still has some huge challenges to overcome but with good opportunities for the participants on each one! Although I'm still not sure what you want to achieve with your blog Are you a stylist consultant?

Anyway, I did a quick SEO analysis of your site. I noticed you haven't index your site in Yahoo.

Textual content is key for attracting visitors to your site through search engines.

Get your site some web analytics (use Google Web Analytics, because it's free and it's good) . You can't control what you can't measure! And I don't recommend not only to focus on the quantity of visitors you are receiving but also on their quality :p Verify this checking your bounce rate: If they're arriving to your site by mistake, they will go right away (and you'll notice this with a high bounce rate).

Keyword phrase TM dot doesn't show up in the first page results in other regional Googles other than the one from Portugal, and even using quotes (i.e. "TM dot"). Do you want to target overseas audiences? If so, then add (index) your site in those geographical areas you want to be reached over (i.e. google.com, google.br, google.co.uk, etc.).

You have a long way to go for improving your site visibility and reach! But be all the way strategic! First, define your own personal OBJECTIVES and the ones of your site/brand (what do you want to achieve with your fashion blog? Sell your services?, fame?, contacts?, network?, support brands? freelance job?, develop writing skills?, advertising money? all of before? ) Then, focus on defining your TARGET AUDIENCE (note: men come in different colours and shapes! Choose a particular segment and stick with it! DO NOT attempt to reach every men in every country, better yet try to reach a very particular type of men, with similar lifestyle, you are sure you can find everywhere in the western world and that's interested in checking out your creation) creating MORE CONTENT (9 pages are not enough for those content hungry audiences of today! :p) whilst polishing your COMPELLING PROPOSITION (both brand and content) for not only attract visitors but also to engage them (loads of folks --even BRANDS!-- just concentrate on attracting visitors to their sites but not in retaining them! ) so you can CONVERT them into your followers/customers/etc! Finally, keep improving, MEASURING and OPTIMISING your site. So yeah, there's no end!

This thread has lot of advices on how to promote your fashion blog and improve your position on search engines! Devour them all, be a hungry !

Xau e boa sorte!

Last edited by F0F0; 21-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.
23-06-2011
V.I.P.

thanks for those tips. will try to implement it on my blog.

scenester

I've been writing a blog for some time now but I never really know what my goal is and I feel that my posts are quite random so I thought of a project I could do.

I'm going to wear all of my clothes in 50 days. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a lot of clothes that he or she doesn't wear)

So off course I will be writing about that (and posting pictures of the looks)

Do you think it will be good for my blog to finally have some direction?

www.annagoense.nl

rising star

That probably depends on your wardrobe.

rising star

It's been done before though. I mean, unless you are adding something to the "this is what I'm wearing today" blog formula, why do that? You'll never top the people who have been doing it for 4+ years already. Do your own thing. If you can't be creative, you don't belong in fashion.

V.I.P.

Ched,

I think it is intended to be more than a "What I Am Wearing Today" theme ... and done right it might work.

It would have to have much more drama and humor than just pictures. She'd have to provide some personal insight via a narrative to show her feelings about her experience as she wades through her wardrobe.

I would suggest that it be about about wearing everything in her closet without editing it at all (no buying anything to make it better ... just work with what you have when you start) ...and wear all of it, the good, the bad and the ugly. It could also be about taking all of that and trying to making it work by changing it all up, layering in unusual ways, edgy combinations making something old and boring look interesting. It should include the failures too and should give accounts of comments and reactions to what she wore ...people she was actually face to face with. Everything should be worn for the entire day in order to provide some serious and funny stories to tell about each day's experiences in those looks.

That is how it can be done ... which would be different. And that is the sort of thing that would probably interest readers ... a real story about the day to day issues she encounters as she wades through her wardrobe ... a story to which most people can relate ... one with humor and with pathos.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-06-2011 at 04:27 PM.
28-06-2011
scenester

Thanks Bette to respond to Ched because that is exactly what I'm going to try to do.
I wanna tell my readers something about the clothes I wear and how the day was etc.
And I have a lot of clothes that I hate and have been out of style for 2 years (or never were in style) and I think it is a real challenge to do something with that.

And I don't really like the comment "if you can't be creative, you don't belong in fashion" maybe it wasn't directed at me but it kind of felt like it was.

rising star

It was not directed at you, it was a general comment about how so many fashion bloggers just try to replicate what has been done before without pushing the envelope.

front row

Hi,

I've been blogging as a hobby for a bit over a year now and I'm really enjoying it.
It's much more addictive and time consuming than what I was expecting though...

My blog gets a decent number of hits that's growing, and I'm also begining to get contacted by online stores and fashion brands for collaboration opportunities...

I was thinking about moving it from the wordpress.com server to become a self hosted blog and start running ads..etc, but I think it's just too complicated and even more time consuming for nothing..

Unless you're a huge blog/site you don't make any serious money of ads...

What do you think?
Also what do you think of my blog? :-)

scenester

Well it's a big choice, blogging is the fun part...

But if you want to make serious money, you will need strong sense of business, use lot of socia media, develop a wordpress.com, keep your blog update every day, invest money in camera and other stuff....

Still the same question, "which advertising model should use Fashion bloggers ?"

Zfashionblog, You should be careful with Women's fashion and Men's fashion link...
You use those signs ♀- and ♂-, it's nice in visual way but might be not difficult to link back... (I hope you will understand my point)

Nice blog, easy & funny to read... Keep up with the good job !

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread