How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
21-12-2010
  16
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
^ Maybe try Flickr? They have great quality photos.
Do you know if I could then make the photographs private and have them still show to everyone on my blog though? I wouldn't really want to have a public photostream of others' photos, as most of these photos came from Flickr in the first place, and lately especially, I've been working with the photographers I feature, and while they've obviously okay with the photos being on my blog, I don't know if they'd want them in my/another Flickr photostream, unless it was private.

Thanks for the suggestion!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
 
21-12-2010
  17
backstage pass
 
markese91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York, NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 959
i use postimage.org sometimes but others I actually have a blog on wordpress i uses specifically for images. I upload all of my images there and then get the exact url of the image(it'll say .jpg at the end) and then when i click insert picture on blogger i put the url in where it says from url. this works great for me

__________________
Mikelle Street
Male Icon: Tony Ward Edit: Yuri Pleskun RW: Nicholas Ripoll | Female Icon: Naomi Campbell Model: Karlie Kloss
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  18
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
i use postimage.org sometimes but others I actually have a blog on wordpress i uses specifically for images. I upload all of my images there and then get the exact url of the image(it'll say .jpg at the end) and then when i click insert picture on blogger i put the url in where it says from url. this works great for me
Oh, I hadn't though of using WordPress to host images? Is it free to do that? Can it hold a lot of HQ large images?

Thanks so much for the tip!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  19
front row
 
lightningfields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 205
Susanna-Cole, for a while I bought a photo album from Godaddy but it was such a hassel to upload and post photos it almost made me not want to blog. Since then I've switched to Flickr and it's great. I'd definitely go with them.

  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  20
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfields View Post
Susanna-Cole, for a while I bought a photo album from Godaddy but it was such a hassel to upload and post photos it almost made me not want to blog. Since then I've switched to Flickr and it's great. I'd definitely go with them.
Oh, that's two for Flickr then! I think it's about the same cost for Flickr Pro and for Photobucket Pro. My Photobucket account will run out in February. May have to consider making the switch them, but alas, if it'll keep the photos from decreasing in quality over time, might be worth it.

Thanks for the advice!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  21
V.I.P.
 
McClaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna-Cole View Post
Do you know if I could then make the photographs private and have them still show to everyone on my blog though? I wouldn't really want to have a public photostream of others' photos, as most of these photos came from Flickr in the first place, and lately especially, I've been working with the photographers I feature, and while they've obviously okay with the photos being on my blog, I don't know if they'd want them in my/another Flickr photostream, unless it was private.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Yes. They do. You can set your settings to where people cannot search, see, blog or hotlink your profile/photos other then you. And you can set copyrights so your protected. Hope this helps

__________________
“The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”-Buddha

Last edited by McClaire; 21-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  22
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
Yes. They do. You can set your settings to where people cannot search, see, blog or hotlink your profile/photos other then you. And you can set copyrights so your protected. Hope this helps
Oh, excellent, thank you so much, it does!

Now if only I could figure out a way to edit posts and not have them show up in all feeds as new posts. I really don't want to bombard all subscribers out there with "new" posts that have merely been edited with new image links.

I tested a couple of suggestions from online, all of which failed, and once again there are not-actually-new posts showing up as new in some of the feeds.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  23
V.I.P.
 
McClaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,047
Have you tried disabling the feed and then re-doing it? Or does it still come up as new posts?

__________________
“The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”-Buddha
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2010
  24
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
Have you tried disabling the feed and then re-doing it? Or does it still come up as new posts?
Yes, I did so, though once I re-enabled the feed the posts came up as new. I checked the timestamps too, in the "post options", and they were still set as the orginial date. I think the Google Reader feed and the RSS feed (through blogger? This one) seem to be able to handle edits/changes, and haven't been messed up, I don't think. Everywhere else though, my feed is a mess.

I think it'd be nice if one could edit the feed for their own blog, you know, remove posts, rearrange, etc... There's really little to no control over feeds.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
24-12-2010
  25
windowshopping
 
thevignettist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 8
Flickr is a great image host if you have a Pro account. The guidelines say that you have to link the image back to the original Flickr photo page (which is what I do on my blog, simply because I like to make my Flickr more accessible), but I've seen a couple blogs hotlink from Flickr -- usually it'll start with farm6.static.flickr, or something else.

I really dislike the interface of Photobucket or Imageshack. The built-in Blogger/Picasa integration is pretty nice, but in terms of image quality, I'd really vote for Flickr.

But if you're using Wordpress.org or if you're self-hosted, then you can always store the images on your own server! That's what The Sartorialist does, even though he's on Blogger.

__________________
OUT OF ORDER Magazine // Fashion Art Music Film Lifestyle
Web: outofordermag.com // Twitter: twitter.com/outofordermag // Facebook facebook.com/outofordermag
  Reply With Quote
26-12-2010
  26
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevignettist View Post
Flickr is a great image host if you have a Pro account. The guidelines say that you have to link the image back to the original Flickr photo page (which is what I do on my blog, simply because I like to make my Flickr more accessible), but I've seen a couple blogs hotlink from Flickr -- usually it'll start with farm6.static.flickr, or something else.

I really dislike the interface of Photobucket or Imageshack. The built-in Blogger/Picasa integration is pretty nice, but in terms of image quality, I'd really vote for Flickr.

But if you're using Wordpress.org or if you're self-hosted, then you can always store the images on your own server! That's what The Sartorialist does, even though he's on Blogger.
I went with a Flickr Pro account and am liking it better already! Thanks so much for sharing your two cents and experiences!

I thought Photobucket was really rather a disappointment as well, although I got a pro account for free the first year and the second year, dirt cheap, so can't say it was a terrible waste, definitely glad to have changed hosts though.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
26-12-2010
  27
front row
 
SJPdeux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 279
I know there is the concern of google deleting accounts etc but Blogger is just too easy where image hosting is concerned. Especially with the Picasa link @thevignettist mentioned. You can also store images on google server without having them on your blog directly - just makes for easier usage.


www.mycapaciousbottega.com

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2010
  28
scenester
 
lovely lethargy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: pennsylvania, usa
Gender: femme
Posts: 74
Favorite hosting site?
I'm sure someone has brought this up in a previous post, so please for give me if this is a repeat. I was considering starting a blog, most likely fashion, though I'm considering various ideas. There are quite a few sites to host on, but I wasn't sure what site is best? Some people say wordpress is confusing and a hassle, some people don't like blogger, some use tumblr although it's not the best blogging site, etc. I need opinions and feedback. If I start a blog, I want it to be easy to format the look and easy to post. Also, I see that a lot of people encourage hosting images on flickr, but I was wondering if a Pro account is necessary?

  Reply With Quote
29-12-2010
  29
Vogue Paris Intern
 
FrenchCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Paris, France
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely lethargy View Post
I'm sure someone has brought this up in a previous post, so please for give me if this is a repeat. I was considering starting a blog, most likely fashion, though I'm considering various ideas. There are quite a few sites to host on, but I wasn't sure what site is best? Some people say wordpress is confusing and a hassle, some people don't like blogger, some use tumblr although it's not the best blogging site, etc. I need opinions and feedback. If I start a blog, I want it to be easy to format the look and easy to post. Also, I see that a lot of people encourage hosting images on flickr, but I was wondering if a Pro account is necessary?
There isn't a hosting site that is better than the other; it just depends on which one you are most at ease with and on what you plan to do with your blog.

As I blog on Wordpress, I can answer your questions about this website. I started blogging last summer and didn't find it confusing or tricky at all. You can choose between more than 100 themes to find a look for your blog and it's easy to blog on there. Also, there is no need to host images on flickr.

Blogger is essentially the same. I opened an account on Blogger as well before I started writing my 1st post. I stuck to Wordpress just because I felt more at ease with it.

People who use Tumblr seem to do so because they post mostly pictures and less text.

__________________
Blog - Instagram - Twitter - Facebook
  Reply With Quote
30-12-2010
  30
scenester
 
lovely lethargy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: pennsylvania, usa
Gender: femme
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchCactus View Post
There isn't a hosting site that is better than the other; it just depends on which one you are most at ease with and on what you plan to do with your blog.

As I blog on Wordpress, I can answer your questions about this website. I started blogging last summer and didn't find it confusing or tricky at all. You can choose between more than 100 themes to find a look for your blog and it's easy to blog on there. Also, there is no need to host images on flickr.

Blogger is essentially the same. I opened an account on Blogger as well before I started writing my 1st post. I stuck to Wordpress just because I felt more at ease with it.

People who use Tumblr seem to do so because they post mostly pictures and less text.
Just based on my first impressions, I like Wordpress much more than Blogger. I think I just perceive Wordpress as a much more comfortable blogging site... Forgive me for not being very specific, but is there anything that does bother you about Wordpress? I'm thinking I'd probably go with it... Also, it seems as though your blog is fairly popular. Any advice on how you got started? I really have no idea where to begin.

Thank you so much, by the way, for replying.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.