How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-05-2012
rising star

I see lots of you give such good feedback so maybe you could take a look at my blog and tell me what you think? what can i do to make it better?

http://letherspeak.blogspot.com/

I have been blogging actively about almost a year now.
I write about ...everything. I dont want my readers to get bored. DIY, OOTD, trends, how to wear something, interviews with fellow bloggers etc etc.
Sad part is that Estonia doesnt have this blog culture that (pretty much) all the world has. For example designers dont support (they have no interest in it) blogers. There are no award ceremonies for good blogers. There are no blogger trips together. Press wont do feature stories with bloggers. Bloggers dont get invites to fashion shows /showrooms and i could go on. (one of the reasons why i hate living in Estonia).

I want to become a better blogger for me and my readers and i want to experience different things but i just dont know how to pursue that career. If any of you have good ideas/tips then let me know, im always opened for new ideas.

29-06-2012
V.I.P.

anyone got an idea how to follow other peoples blog?
each time i tried to add blogs they disappear from the list

windowshopping

I've had a blog for a very long time and i've got several invitations to milan, paris, london and berlin fashion week but I really dont like the image of most of the bloggers at the moment. It should be more like a Photography Blog - so I got a new blog but it's hard to find enough followers in the beginning. Any advice?

16-07-2012
windowshopping

Hi fellow TFSers, I know you guys give great advice and feedback so I was hoping you could take a look at a website/concept I've designed and recommend changes or tweaks that would make it more user friendly.

The website is CampusSartorialist and just like Scott Schuman's website, The Sartorialist, CS chronicles street-style on college and university campuses around the world.

We've recently added a lot of new contributors and as the website gains momentum we're looking at tweaking and updating it for a better user experience.

Thanks for your help and if you'd like to send us your feedback please send a personal message or e-mail us at campussartorialist@gmail.com

Best,

Robert
Founder, EIC
Campus Sartorialist

Last edited by wainblatrobert; 16-07-2012 at 07:53 PM.
17-07-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by myown View Post
anyone got an idea how to follow other peoples blog?
each time i tried to add blogs they disappear from the list
How are you following them? Like "Follow" on Tumblr, or are you doing something else? RSS feed?

V.I.P.

Welcome to the fashion Spot!

We encourage discussions right in the threads and feedback threads like this are inteneded to serve that purpose ... to provide feedback publically, so all can read and learn. We share here, this is what tFS is all about.

So, I will offer my thoughts here: I like the concecpt a lot and think it would be of interest to a lot of people.

Two things that you might want to take a close look at:

1. I am not sure Scott Schuman will love your use of "his" monicker or not ... it might be copyrighted, so I suggest that you look into that first..

2. Also, I had a problem reading the font ... had to actually read your post, before I realized that it said Campus Satorialist ... so you might want to tweak that a bit to make it more legible.

17-07-2012
windowshopping

Thanks for the feedback Bette, we added our e-mail because we didn't want to clutter the thread/were unsure on the rules of the forum.

We did check for copyright and he has "The Sartorialist" trademarked which means the word Sartorialist by itself is and other variants of it are up for grabs

We'll look into making our header/logo more legible, thanks!

18-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ched View Post
How are you following them? Like "Follow" on Tumblr, or are you doing something else? RSS feed?
yeah there is this button "follow" and on your "blogger home" there is a dashboard-alike. there is also this button to following other blogs (you put the url of the blog in and push "follow"). but somehow it doesnt work for me. or i do something wrong.. idk.

fashion icon

I was wondering what is the best platform for a blog? I've used both blogger and tumblr before and I am looking to start another blog soon. I like tumblr because you can interact more with your followers. But it seems like blogger might be more professional. So do you think it's more of a preference thing really?

rising star

It really depends on how you want to talk to your readers and work with the technology.

We got started with Blogger and fairly quickly moved to a self-hosted WordPress site because I didn't want to rely on Google to manage our data.

If you're not much of a technologist, then using someone else's system is probably the best option.

If you have some technical knowledge, then you'll probably get really frustrated really fast with the constraints of most free blogging site interfaces. I administrate my own dedicated Linux server hosted with Hetzner in Germany. modaCYCLE publishes in both English and German, our audience is mostly in New York and Europe, and they have really good deals on hosting plans. You really have to know what you're doing or have someone who does (I'm available as a consultant...) to run that kind of setup though.

Blogger and Tumblr are great to get your message out quickly and simply. It's sort of like calling a cab and telling them where to go, using WordPress.com (their hosting system, as opposed to .org which is the software you run yourself) is kind of like leasing a car, versus a dedicated server for a WordPress or Joomla installation which is more like owning your own car that you can modify any way you want.

If you plan to do more than type and post photos and short video clips, like if you want to do ecommerce eventually, then starting with your own domain name is the best way to go, because you can always redirect it later. Tumblr will let you do that, but last time I checked Blogger will not.

The big advantage of the multi-site platforms like Tumblr, Blogger, LJ, etc. is the social aspect. If you run your own site it's a little harder to get people to visit.

Last edited by ched; 19-07-2012 at 10:03 AM.
19-07-2012
windowshopping

Blogger is best to attract search engine traffic since it's owned by google and you can definitely get a custom domain really easily through the platform. I've found it to be much better at being tweaked than wordpress which is way more rigid.

Alternatively you could purchase a custom theme for tumblr (some really nice ones for $5-$10) and purchase a custom domain through tumblr and you're set!

19-07-2012
fashion icon

Thanks Ched and Wainblatrobert for this info. It really helped me think about what sort of blogging platform I want to use and how I want the blog to be seen. I think I've decided to stick with tumblr because it's what I know best and I'm not looking to sell anything. Plus I rather like the idea of being able to communicate directly with readers through asks, whereas other platforms don't really have this feature. Blogger and wordpress can be great platforms to launch really "professional" blogs but I like how low-key tumblr is. It doesn't have the same sort of pressure that the other two have (does that even make sense?).

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wainblatrobert View Post
Hi fellow TFSers, I know you guys give great advice and feedback so I was hoping you could take a look at a website/concept I've designed and recommend changes or tweaks that would make it more user friendly.
As far as design goes, I think if I were you, I would opt for not only a more legible font for your banner, but also an actual campus photo, rather than the clip art. I think the clip art looks sort of cheesy--and I don't mean this to be condescending or nasty, that's just my initial reaction to it. I think an actual photo of a building on a college campus would look much more professional.

I'd also consider changing some of your other fonts--i.e. post titles, navigation menu. Typekit is a great site for awesome free fonts, and you can use their site to embed the fonts right into your website. Font Squirrel and Da Font are also great resources for free fonts that you can download to your computer for designs (like your banner).

I think also your layout could use a little tweaking. All the boxes feel a little rigid and stale to me. I think maybe if you'd take away the outlines around your boxes, it might look a little more fluid. I think Honestly WTF is a nice example of a layout similar to yours which looks more fluid.

With all that having been said, I think your concept is really great and you have a really good start on a blog design. I'm definitely not an expert or anything, just some personal experience with web design (not to mention I always have an opinion when it comes to aesthetics!), so take my opinion for what it is--just an opinion, neither right nor wrong.

tfs star

Hi!
I've spent the last hour (or 3) reading through this thread and taking notes and I just want to say THANK YOU so much for every one who has contributed. It has really helped, though I find the number of high standard blogs out there a bit daunting
Just one small question - I know the issue of which blogging platform to use has been mentioned frequently, but I have noticed the discussion seems to concentrate on Tumblr, WordPress, Blogger and Blogspot. Has anyone used OnSugar? - someone mentioned it months ago under a different name but I would love to know if anyone thinks this is a good platform.
I was drawn to it for two reasons:
1. The name I want for my blog is already in use on WordPress - on a dormant blog from 2009 (SO annoying by the way...)
2. OnSugar lets you use Getty Images and I really need these photos since I want to include posts about celebrity fashion.

Should I continue with OnSugar or should I try and find a way to use WordPress by buying the name AND finding a way to use Getty Images without infringing on copyright?

I'm a little confused about copyright laws and whether a blog is classes as non-commercial use but I don't think this is the right thread to discuss it in.

V.I.P.

Let me share this about copyrights and Getty in particular.

Getty is a photo service ... they own all the copyrights to those photos and sell the rights to use them. If you buy the "usage rights" from them, you may post the picture. If you don't, you may not. It's as simple as that.

You can buy basic usage rights ... which means to right to use them ... but you don't own them, therefore Getty can sell them again to as many people who want to buy them. Or you can buy full exclusive usage rights meaning they will not sell them again to anyone else. The latter is extremely expensive.

This is pretty much true of any photos you see on line ... they are owned by the photographer, the magazine or the photo service and technically you may not use them without buying rights to use them.

Most blogs have hijacked images ... and occassionally the copyright holders sue the user for "stealing". This even happened to a tFS member a while back ... he hijacked Conde Nast's private photos and posted them here. It cost him a lawsuit and he lost. I think it cost him some jail time and a $2500 fine.

Most of the time Conde Nast doesn't care ... but these were unpublished images and he broke in to steal them ... and I think they wanted to make an example of him. It was all over the news.

Now, if a service like OnSugar buys rights they can pass them on to you (I would assume that you pay OnSugar for any you use ... because someone has to pay for them).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread