How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-01-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneEtHeels View Post
i've been thinking of making my own blog for a while now and the only that's stopping me is that i don't know what to put as the name. for some reason, i can never think of names that are any good. help please?
While I like your screen name, you may wan to consider other routes as well. I know how you feel - I'm very indecisive when it comes to names. I spent a good two days trying to think of one for mine. I would suggest you put your music library on shuffle and listen to the lyrics while you work on something else, like laundry. I did this and since I know most of the lyrics by heart, phrases and words I liked stuck out. I then scribbled these down and saved them for later. Then, list the phrases and think of names using the other words you like. I'm not sure if this is a good system for everyone, but it worked out well for me. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j'adore_couture View Post
Nevertheless, would you mind giving it a look and giving me some feedback? Overall I'm quite happy with the progress of it so far.

CLICK HERE FOR BLOG, THANKS

Oh, another observation, do you all acknowledge the sources of images on your posts? I've talked to a few people who've been helpful with admonitions of legal trouble with not citing image sources.
I like the overall look of your blog, but it is a bit plain. I would suggest a bigger header and a thinner sidebar. Also, this may just be personal preference, but with all of the pictures you have posted, I would center my posts. Also, maybe add some more padding on the sides? Honestly, though it looks fairly good. Just add some splashes of color and I think you're good.

I haven't started blogging yet, but I fully intend on acknowledging the source of any images I post, probably at the end of the post. I don't think it's right not to credit at all.

03-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna-Cole View Post
Oh, thank you kindly! I'm pleased as punch that you like it so much.

I took your advice and went back to the template width, and noticed if I stretched it out more (as far as it'd go), it balanced the posts a little better, though they're still slightly off kilter. Then my banner was off centered, however, I found a fix in CSS for it. Thanks for your assistance!

Do all the template widths go only to 1000 px? Anyone know?
Yes they do however if you want to make it bigger press control F and search for 1000 in the 'Edit html' section, it should take you to something that looks like this:

Quote:
]]></b:skin>

<b:template-skin>
<b:variable default='930px' name='content.width' type='length' value='1000px'/>
<b:variable default='0' name='main.column.left.width' type='length' value='0px'/>
<b:variable default='360px' name='main.column.right.width' type='length' value='0px'/>
I think it's the 1000 is the one you want (only if the width on the Template Designer width set on 1000 too) you can change that to 1200 or whatever and it will change the blog layout. I usually test one of them by adding a number and previewing it to see which one I'm looking for :p but it's definitely one of two I highlighted. Hope that makes sense.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
Yes they do however if you want to make it bigger press control F and search for 1000 in the 'Edit html' section, it should take you to something that looks like this:

I think it's the 1000 is the one you want (only if the width on the Template Designer width set on 1000 too) you can change that to 1200 or whatever and it will change the blog layout. I usually test one of them by adding a number and previewing it to see which one I'm looking for :p but it's definitely one of two I highlighted. Hope that makes sense.
Oh, hurrah! If my eyes don't deceive me, I think it's all evened up now. You are marvelous! Thanks so much!

Now I must go anxiously check it on other computers/screen resolutions and see if it still looks decent.

V.I.P.

^ Looks fine and even on my end! You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by j'adore_couture View Post
^Keep in mind that the name of your blog can always be changed (and without much damage if especially if you have very few readers at the beginning).

Does anyone else have any critique about my template or whatnot? Blogger really isn't the best in terms of design . Love tumblr's setup for it but don't think my blog is appropriate for its tumbling functionality.
That's true, thanks! I sent you a message about this.

05-01-2011
windowshopping

I've started this blog back in 2008 as a class assignment and never went back to it till about 2 or 3 months ago. I'm still figuring some things out. I want to post my everyday looks but want to do something more useful for readers as well so I began doing tutorials. Any critiques? I also find it difficult to work with htmls :/
Please let me know what you think! What will keep you interested if you are the viewer? More DIYs or will the everyday outfits be suffice? Much thanks!

http://cupoffashion.blogspot.com/

05-01-2011
scenester

I would suggest adding a bit of color if possible. Overall the layout is very good, but you might benefit from more than just black and white. Don't get me wrong, though, I a huge fan of the color scheme. Really, though, it looks quite good. And you banner is very nice. I think you should definitely include DIYs, but if your many focus is your style, daily outfits should suffice. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

05-01-2011
windowshopping

lovely lethargy:
Thank you so much for your suggestions! Originally, I wanted to keep it clean and simple and I never noticed the lack of colors till you've mentioned it. It's kind of cool how after someone else brings something up, you kind of see things differently. After your suggestions, I do notice how bland it kind of looks. I will get working on that! But I do have another question. I want to leave the background white so how would you suggests me adding color? To the banner maybe? Thank you! That was very helpful!

05-01-2011
backstage pass

I think that black and white is fine as long as you provide really colorful and large images as you do, it ensures your content doesn't compete with your layout for attention.

05-01-2011
windowshopping

I personally love the fact that you are keeping your color scheme simple. I hate blogs that are overcrowded because I am supposed to focus on what you are writing about and posting. Great blog!

06-01-2011
windowshopping

markese91:
That's what I had thought originally! I'm glad to see that you agree with me. Thank you!!

soandsos:
Oh thank you! That's wonderful that you like it!

You all are so helpful! Thank you for your comments! I appreciate them all! It's giving me some confidence in my blog now

06-01-2011
fashion elite

Yeah I prefer black and white unless, the layout is beautifully designed and the actual colors aren't too invasive (like, Susanna-Cole's header and layout).

Your blog looks ultra cute so far oOolalaa

Last edited by sedirea; 06-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
06-01-2011
scenester

Don't get me wrong, everyone, I appreciate a good black and white layout as much as the next person. I would just suggest adding another color in the banner that you like, maybe just a light blue or pink.

07-01-2011
backstage pass

So I was checking my analytics today and i wanted to know what are some brackets of page views?? like a medium sized blog, and then a large blog... like at what point do you guys thing PR agents will take you seriously?

07-01-2011
front row

Thinking of moving my blogger based blog to Wordpress - anyone done this on here? What problems should I expect?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread