How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2011
scenester

Hi all,

I would love it if you would all take a look at my blog and give me some advice on how to make it more appealing. I just recently started a few days ago and I'm still learning so any help would be much appreciated! Thank you

http://elegancebyvirtue.blogspot.com/

10-01-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionGuru1988 View Post
Hi all,

I would love it if you would all take a look at my blog and give me some advice on how to make it more appealing. I just recently started a few days ago and I'm still learning so any help would be much appreciated! Thank you

http://elegancebyvirtue.blogspot.com/
I think it looks really good, especially considering the fact that you've just started out. The layout is simple, but in a way that doesn't distract from your posts. The colors are nice, too, simple as well. Honestly, I think simple is the way to go. Your post quality seems fairly good, too. The grammar and spelling is good, which is very important to me. Excellent start. Good luck, darling. (:

10-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedirea View Post
Yeah I prefer black and white unless, the layout is beautifully designed and the actual colors aren't too invasive (like, Susanna-Cole's header and layout).
Oh, that's awfully kind, thank you.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
So I was checking my analytics today and i wanted to know what are some brackets of page views?? like a medium sized blog, and then a large blog... like at what point do you guys thing PR agents will take you seriously?

I think page views is a big asset if you wanna be in good relationship with a brand. Also social media fan base is important...

But more than that PR agents give chance to bloggers who got very positive point of view in editorial, original and creative touch (pictures & video), good communication with polite mails...etc

rising star

We just launched our first contest on modaCYCLE, giving away $400 in manufacturing patterns from sponsor Johnny Wu to emerging designers in the NY area monthly. Fingers crossed that we get really good submissions. Has anyone here done something like this before? What is the best way to promote the contest?

fashion elite

^ If you havent already tweet it and ask others to retweet it. I havent done a giveaway (yet) but thats what my friends do.

Also you're welcome Susanna-Cole

rising star

I've been blogging at livejournal for about 7 years, started out as a personal blog but eventually grew to be a fashion one, but recently switched to blogger. It's mainly on fashion eg daily outfits, sewing projects and the like. I've used a standard blogger template, keeping it simple because I like the minimalist look.

Hope to get some constructive criticism on how I can improve my blog in terms of design, content, page views etc.

emmavalentino.blogspot.com

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely lethargy View Post
I think it looks really good, especially considering the fact that you've just started out. The layout is simple, but in a way that doesn't distract from your posts. The colors are nice, too, simple as well. Honestly, I think simple is the way to go. Your post quality seems fairly good, too. The grammar and spelling is good, which is very important to me. Excellent start. Good luck, darling. (:
Thank you so much for your kind words lovely lethargy . I really appreciate you taking the time to look over my blog. I hope you will keep visiting! I was also wondering if I should change the font of the title of the blog and make it look more professional instead of the girly one I have right now; what do you think?

12-01-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpeace View Post
I've been blogging at livejournal for about 7 years, started out as a personal blog but eventually grew to be a fashion one, but recently switched to blogger. It's mainly on fashion eg daily outfits, sewing projects and the like. I've used a standard blogger template, keeping it simple because I like the minimalist look.

Hope to get some constructive criticism on how I can improve my blog in terms of design, content, page views etc.

emmavalentino.blogspot.com
blackpeace, I love the concept of your blog and I feel like you're off to a great start! I'm still new at photography, as you probably can tell by my first post, which I took with my phone camera , but I know how important it is to catch the reader's eye. I feel like so many bloggers focus on their outfit choices as well, that to stand out from the rest you have to have amazing photos and usually that means switching it up to different locations and using a broad range of scenery. Also the image clarity and size make a huge difference. I feel like your style will relate to many people, so giving them a few different angles of the outfit would be great in my opinion.

On a side note, I read that simplicity is better than overcrowding your reader, so I think your layout choice is good as well as the content.

I was also wondering how you got the online users to show on your blog? I would love to have that on my blog as well!

PS: I'm going to go comment on your blog now, since my comment of your outfit and whatnot would be better suited there

Good luck and best wishes!

My blog: http://elegancebyvirtue.blogspot.com/

Last edited by FashionGuru1988; 12-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
12-01-2011
rising star

fashionguru, yes I'm afraid that the lack of beautiful pictures is something I have to work on. I too enjoy looking at blogs with beautiful pictures. My idea of photography is just point and shoot! Really bad since I'm not maximizing the functions of my camera.

For the stats, just go to Design -> Page Elements, then Add a Gadget 'blog's stats'.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionGuru1988 View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words lovely lethargy . I really appreciate you taking the time to look over my blog. I hope you will keep visiting! I was also wondering if I should change the font of the title of the blog and make it look more professional instead of the girly one I have right now; what do you think?
No problem. I enjoy helping out where I can.

That's an excellent point. I would say it depends on how comfortable you are with such a "girly" font. I might change it to something simpler, like Georgia or Trebuchet MS, but you have to be careful that it's not too plain. It's sort of a process of trial and error, I suppose. Also, I would make sure that your background on the banner is completely transparent, if you know what I mean.

Also, I only have the time to skim at the moment, but your new posts seem interesting. Keep it up. (:

Last edited by lovely lethargy; 12-01-2011 at 07:53 PM.
13-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
I know there are some serious bloggers on tFS and I was hoping to start a good discussion. I know there are a few threads with tips on starting a blog and designing and such, but I was thinking about something a bit more specific.
  1. Where do you start your posts?
  2. How do you work on focusing your content?
  3. Where do you get inspiration for blog posts (surroundings, your opinions)?
  4. Have you found some topics are too over done or others that should get more attention?
  5. How are you unique in the big, wide blogosphere?
Obviously everyone has a different niche and a different focus, but I think these are good questions to get the ball rolling. I hope everyone else can add to the discussion. If you have any questions of your own, please add them!

Other helpful blogging threads on tFS can be found here, here, here, and here

Mods, I hope I posted this in the correct place. I apologize if I haven't.
I left this in it's own thread for a week, but since no one responded, I would guess that they just didn't see it ... because it's a good topic. So, I opted to move it into this thread where so many bloggers come and hope that some can offer some ideas about how they arrive at deciding blog content ... and maybe what inspires them.

Anyone?

Last edited by BetteT; 13-01-2011 at 11:47 AM.
13-01-2011
scenester

Thank you, BetteT for moving the discussion here. I wasn't sure what to do with it...

13-01-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpeace View Post
fashionguru, yes I'm afraid that the lack of beautiful pictures is something I have to work on. I too enjoy looking at blogs with beautiful pictures. My idea of photography is just point and shoot! Really bad since I'm not maximizing the functions of my camera.

For the stats, just go to Design -> Page Elements, then Add a Gadget 'blog's stats'.
Haha I know what you mean about taking pictures, I still have so much to learn!

Thanks for helping me with the stats

13-01-2011
scenester

Quote:
No problem. I enjoy helping out where I can.

That's an excellent point. I would say it depends on how comfortable you are with such a "girly" font. I might change it to something simpler, like Georgia or Trebuchet MS, but you have to be careful that it's not too plain. It's sort of a process of trial and error, I suppose. Also, I would make sure that your background on the banner is completely transparent, if you know what I mean.

Also, I only have the time to skim at the moment, but your new posts seem interesting. Keep it up. (:
Thanks for your input it greatly appreciated I'm still trying to decide what to do. I am somewhat more girly than most and when I was testing out fonts, I thought that was a cute and fun font but I also want to be taken seriously so I didn't know if I should change it to something more professional...

Uh oh, Is my title not transparent? I'm not seeing it show on my side?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread