How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
thanks for the input. do you think my blog is too general though?

The first thing I noticed is that you don't allow comments. This might be an oversight but if not, I would suggest you consider turning them on. People like to input, not only peek and leave

02-03-2011
front row

Does anyone know how to re-jig my images so that they appear bigger on the screen without need for clicking through. Right now all my images are clickable but I am not sure if all my readers realise this so I have had requests to resize. I would like to know how to go about it because I know how important good images are!

Thanks in advance

03-03-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPdeux View Post
Does anyone know how to re-jig my images so that they appear bigger on the screen without need for clicking through. Right now all my images are clickable but I am not sure if all my readers realise this so I have had requests to resize. I would like to know how to go about it because I know how important good images are!

Thanks in advance
Assuming you are using the photo uploader in blogger, you can just click on the photo while you're creating the post and you should get a little blue bar that comes up with preset image sizes (Small, medium, large, xlarge, original size, etc) You can also go into the "edit html" portion and find where it says height and width and change those numbers. Hope that helps.

Still would love to hear feedback about my blog if anyone has any!

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodel View Post
ok, thanks for the feedback! all is appreciated
although, may i ask, which other information would viewers like me to feature in the posts? thanks
Some form of original content that you add to the lifted content you're posting? If you just want to post images you like, if you don't want to talk about what you're showing, start using Tumblr instead.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPdeux View Post
The first thing I noticed is that you don't allow comments. This might be an oversight but if not, I would suggest you consider turning them on. People like to input, not only peek and leave
thanks. it is an oversight. ive been trying to engage with questions and no one has responded.

i wonder why.

rising star

Quote:
hey guys ive just started a blog 2 months ago, Jerr Life. its a blog about my personal obsessions. its pretty straight forward but im worried its too wide of an angle and doesnt target a particular demographic.

anyway here are more of my questions and worries:

how do i increase traffic?
do you like the layout?
what gadgets should i add?
how do i promote it more(i comment on social sites such as this)?
do you think my niche is too wide
Niche by definition is something small. There's a marketing saying that goes (more or less) "I don't know what is the key to success but a short cut to failure is trying to please everyone". The name of the game in customer-centered marketing is FOCUS. So from that perspective, yes, your blog COULD be consider too wide (specially for a potential advertiser).

But from a non-money making machine perspective I don't see a problem. You can write about anything you like ( except alcohols and drugs , right? But do you blog as a hobby or are you planning to make a decent living out of blogging?

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

what i meant by niche is to have a target audience.

i think as much as it is a online diary i think there should be a direction. that is why it is specifically focused on personal obsessions.

do i want to make money? im not sure yet but what i want is to be the best at what i do. this is why i want to know if its too vague because i want to keep people interested and that is done by being relateable and not alienate viewers with posts theyre not interested in.

trendsetter

^I think the difference between interest in the diary aspect and content aspect needs to be addressed. If you wish your focus to be more on what interests you rather than a portrait of you as a person, I think you should categorize the posts in a more topic-oriented fashion (no pun intended :p).

rising star

Quote:
what i meant by niche is to have a target audience.

i think as much as it is a online diary i think there should be a direction. that is why it is specifically focused on personal obsessions.

do i want to make money? im not sure yet but what i want is to be the best at what i do. this is why i want to know if its too vague because i want to keep people interested and that is done by being relateable and not alienate viewers with posts theyre not interested in.
How are you relating with your readers?

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

good question. i think that a person who likes fashion aren't the same people who'd be interested in say calvin and hobbes comic strips.

a person interested in airplane parts isn't the same person who's interested in pop culture but i could very much be interested in those two things but people who read my blog may not be.

V.I.P.

what i mean is that i have interest uniquely mine that others will not find interesting and maybe even be weirded out by. should i have filter to answering the question, what am i obsessed about or not?

rising star

Quote:
what i mean is that i have interest uniquely mine that others will not find interesting and maybe even be weirded out by. should i have filter to answering the question, what am i obsessed about or not?
I mean "how do you relate (connect) with your readers (NOW)?" And I'm not only refering to allowing comments in your blog.

If a fashion icon blogs about any topic of his/her interest (i.e. airplane parts, Calvin and Hobbes, Pop culture), perhaps readers will start paying attention to topics they once weren't interested? How many times I have found myself googling for something that my favourite wrote about? The Sartorialist told me once that he believed future of fashion blogging is in sports talk radio. Now if some asked me what sports talk radio and fashion have to do with each other?! I'd definitely answer A LOT!!! :p

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

so are you saying that people would be interested in those things? i guess i should have more confidence that people and my audience would be more open minded.

Vogue Paris Intern

I'd definitely advise bloggers to have an account on Twitter quite early on. I hesitated for a few months to get one because I hardly knew anyone on there but now I realize how much it has brought me personally and for my blog.
- It allows you to network with other bloggers and form a community that becomes loyal to your blog. Follow Friday (#FF) is a good way to see who you should be following. The interaction with readers and bloggers is really the best part IMO. You can express things through Twitter that you wouldn't on your blog and if you don't post everyday it's a way to keep in touch with everybody.
- You can advertize your blog through it.
- You are informed immediately of new posts on the blogs you follow and information you're interested about in fashion if you follow media accounts.
- It's a good way to be contacted by brands. For example I recommended a beauty brand to a fellow blogger without any other idea in mind, and it turns out the brand noticed it, liked my blog and advertized it on Twitter and I now have an exciting project with them.

scenester

I don't really understand How to communicate with Twitter

Thx for the tips...

Did you ever think of adding a multi-language plug-in ? I'm using WPML (http://wpml.org/), who just turned commercial this week. (sad...)
Old version is still free I think...

Tags
#1, #2, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread