How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-03-2010
backstage pass

Hey, I was wondering, do any of you know what's the difference between affiliation, a partnership, and a sponsorship (when it comes to blogs) or are they essentially the same/similar things? I get emails all the time about affiliation/partnership/sponsorship, I usually just ignore them, but I'm kind of curious what exactly these offers entail or maybe it depends on the company/people contacting you?

The only one I'm more so certain on is affiliation, which is usually just the exchange of links/banners (least I think so), but what about partnership and sponsorship?

02-03-2010
Looking Up

^ Sponsoring is payment for advertising. So if you sponsor someone you give them money and they put an advertisement of your blog on their site and vice versa.

Partnership, I'm guessing, is something more serious. Like having a deal/contract with someone/company regarding working together to benefit both parties.

02-03-2010
backstage pass

^^Thanks so much for explaining, Squizree!

02-03-2010
fashion insider

Visit my blog http://runway-files.livejournal.com/
Now it's in russian but in what follows i plan to write in english for comfort of all

02-03-2010
front row

I also went to Blogger and started writing. I don't want to be another number with a fashion blog so I'll try to post my fashion thoughts and my own outfits. (This is hard because I don't speak english very well...)

SEVENOCLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineCouture View Post
Visit my blog http://runway-files.livejournal.com/
Now it's in russian but in what follows i plan to write in english for comfort of all
Nice blog! But I hope you write in english soon haha

Last edited by Marjon; 02-03-2010 at 11:43 AM.

04-03-2010
rising star

hi everyone, I'm new here so please be kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjon View Post
I also went to Blogger and started writing. I don't want to be another number with a fashion blog so I'll try to post my fashion thoughts and my own outfits. (This is hard because I don't speak english very well...)

SEVENOCLOCK
Marjon - your post on rings is really great. I love it when fashion bloggers do really coherent posts on one topic, as opposed to a million random photos. I like the layout too.

I recently started a fashion/photography/music/art website with 2 other girls and we're eventually hoping to turn it into more of an online magazine. It's called thirds (the link is in my sig). If anyone wants to give some feedback I'd be so greatful. We're trying to make it look less blog-like, but it's so hard when you don't have HTML skills..

04-03-2010
Looking Up

Small advice for bloggers is try to use Wordpress. ESPECIALLY if you have your own domain! You have literally MILLIONS of options and opportunities. Compared to Google Blogger, Wordpress has FAR more potential.

I recently switched to Wordpress and Im loving the change. It took me DAYS of agony to switch and get everything up and running but it was really worth the pain lol

04-03-2010
rising star

I second that wordpress advice! there are so many free templates, and there's a lot of help out there for people who need help altering them.

05-03-2010
windowshopping

squizree, what did you find most difficult about switching to wordpress?

I guess i'd like to hear more about the pros and cons of wordpress vs. blogger... (if its been discussed fully in this thread, i'm sorry! I didn't read through the whole thing... so many pages!!)

I'd also like to hear any advice from experienced bloggers about attracting and retaining visitors!

I just recently revamped my blog. I started it quite a few years ago, but never did much with it, so in the last few weeks i've found a bit of a focus and posted as often as i was able to. please let me know what you guys think!

PS i've been a member here for almost a year and never really posted! so... HI!

05-03-2010
Looking Up

^ Welcome back to tFS

I havent been blogging for too long but Ive learnt LOADS from tFSers and others.

Blogger is great for beginners. It offers VERY easy navigation and simple directions to achieve what you want. And it's free! That's a huge plus.
However it's quite limited in potential. If you want to expand your blog, spice it up and make it look more professional then Wordpress is much more impressive.

Wordpress is not free but not expensive. The BEST thing to do with Wordpress is to buy a domain (from Bluehost.com or Godaddy.com - theyre the best) and set the domain up with Wordpress. This was you can login to Wordpress as admin and will have access to CSS customization and you'll have the ability to upload plugins, themes, widgets and LOADS of stuff which enhance your blog by a LONG shot. These are NOT available to the free Wordpress user and are VERY worth it.
Wordpress is NOT expensive. It's a small payment per year.

The hardest about switching was setting up my domain with Wordpress. It took me AGES to figure out how to control that kinda stuff. Then there was my admin page, which shat itself about a million times. But it was worth it, the change is great.

Go to my blog (in signature) to view it

08-03-2010
fashion insider

I have a problem. I don't know to consider it big or small, but it's still my problem.

How do you get followers? I've been open and running for 2 months, and only 3 followers on bloglovin'. Bloglovin'! None on the Google following tool! It's really getting me down.

I've networked to no avail. I try to post interesting things, but since it's fashion week it's pretty much same old same old. But still...

And ideas/advice?

09-03-2010
scenester

I'm a Wordpress User so Bloglovin, I don't really know for the followers.
But if you follow a lot of people, you got more chance to got followers.

To get some visitors (maybe soon followers), the best thing to do is to use....facebook (make a Fan page), Twitter (be first, link your site, be interesting)....

Also to use META-Tags ! ! !

Last edited by kikiss; 09-03-2010 at 01:19 AM.

09-03-2010
backstage pass

My blog (in signature) has been up for about 2 months.
I have 9 followers on Blog Lovin' and 3 on Twitter... lol.

10-03-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueParisLover View Post
I have a problem. I don't know to consider it big or small, but it's still my problem.

How do you get followers? I've been open and running for 2 months, and only 3 followers on bloglovin'. Bloglovin'! None on the Google following tool! It's really getting me down.

I've networked to no avail. I try to post interesting things, but since it's fashion week it's pretty much same old same old. But still...

And ideas/advice?
vogueparislover - I think the link in your sig is broken? Fix that up and it might give you a good start

10-03-2010
rising star

Here is my blog, and I'd like some advice as to how I can improve it, and also how to get more visitors. I have about 40-60 visitors every day...
http://potatopotet.blogspot.com/

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, blog, fashion, post, promoting, rules, starting, thread