How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2013
windowshopping

^Thank you! This is really good advice and a good starting point for me. I am actually very scared about trying to break into fashion so I need all the help I can get

01-08-2013
backstage pass

Hey so I need a little bit of advice in this area! I have no idea what I'd like to do when I "grow up" or anything.So I'm very interested in doing graphic design, I've only taken one month course last summer in Parsons and I think I did pretty well, the only problem is I don't know if I'm a very "creative" person exactly, I mean I'm always doodling and like to use Photoshop but I'm afraid I'm not the most talented in that area? I'm very good at math and science and for the longest time I was thinking of studying marketing/statistics but it's not something I'm that passionate about. I really liked the month I was doing graphic design, but I am conscious about the fact that I have little to no experience. I was thinking about transferring to some unis in the states/Europe next spring semester for art schools that don't require a portfolio (like L'École de design Nantes Atlantique in France) and I was just wondering if this is a good idea or if someone had experience with graphic design? I'd love to work for a magazine maybe. I'm sorry if this isn't right to post here but I'm really desperate and at and my wits end :/

02-08-2013
V.I.P.

Seems to me that if you like computers and math but are not creative that perhaps you are more of a "left brained" person. Which may mean that you like the process and like to solve problems. Perhaps look into photo retouching because that requires a good eye and a skilled knowledge of Photoshop but you don't have to actually create.

Here is a thread about schools for visual arts and graphic design, in case you would like to see some other options: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...ols-45331.html

Last edited by BetteT; 02-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.
02-08-2013
trendsetter

xoxoadore, think about programming/webdesign too. It's more about resolving technical problems than creative ones. You could get both done by yourself or work with designers.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
02-08-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
xoxoadore, think about programming/webdesign too. It's more about resolving technical problems than creative ones. You could get both done by yourself or work with designers.
I actually haven't considered that, thanks for the recommendations! I'm trying to search now about it but it seems that (just like graphic design) the portfolio is what makes it happen. Do you know if people usually get a degree in this or is this people usually learn on their own?

07-08-2013
trendsetter

Hi all!
I have recently left school a few months ago and was hoping to go to university to study chemistry but unfortunately that hasn't worked out for me (I needed an A in biology to be accepted onto my chosen course and annoyingly got a B by just a few marks). So anyway now I'm taking a "gap year" to decide what I want to do now.
I have always been very interested in fashion and I am considering my options of studying it at university (quite a contrast to chemistry, I know!). But my school background is very science heavy. I have always been fairly talented at art but I didn't study the subject at as high a level as chemistry and maths, for example.
I am looking at degrees that focus on the business side of fashion such as buying and public relations but I am not sure how art based these degrees are. Would I be required to show a portfolio? I have had some of my photography published in international publications and wrote some articles for newspapers in my country but that's as far as my "art" experience goes.
One of my friends is moving to London for her modelling career and I'm considering moving in with her for a few months and maybe taking one of the short courses at CSM?

V.I.P.

If it's fashion you love, then, by all means, try a fashion school if you wish to be immersed with fashion and hang with students trying to become designers. Each school will outline what you need for admission, so check their sites to see if a portfolio is even needed for these business related subject.

Buying and PR are not exclusively or even mainly "fashion" subjects. Any good business school can be a great source for courses on marketing/buying ... which is primarily just numbers and statistics. And a good liberal arts education will lead you the right way for PR ... which is mainly writing press releases and organizing and managing events, etc. You'd probably have a better chance of getting into these courses than in a fashion school, they are probably more extensive courses and provide a better education .... and they can certainly be used to find internships in the fashion world, too, which is where you begin to make the connections you will need, if you wish to work in fashion.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.
08-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoadore View Post
I actually haven't considered that, thanks for the recommendations! I'm trying to search now about it but it seems that (just like graphic design) the portfolio is what makes it happen. Do you know if people usually get a degree in this or is this people usually learn on their own?
They can, bus as far as I know programmers, they got their degree mostly from technically oriented universities, so the portfolio is not needed. Unfortunately you don't get any design related knowledge there, for this you would have to apply to some art/design university course.
But on the other hand I know a lot of self-learners, because one definitely can learn programming by his/her own, you just have to be a more technical guy, which you are as you mentioned. And any knowledge about design (and talent/creativity of course) would allow you to be both, designer and programmer, which in practice means you could study to make websites/phone apps etc. all by your own, independently.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 08-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.
12-08-2013
Amour Comme Hiver

I dunno if this is the right thread for this question, but on a scale from 1-10: how useful would you all say the FIT and Parsons associate degree programs are for those looking to break into fashion? I'm thinking Journalism or PR specifically. I know its a tough, dang near impossible field to break into any way you look at it, but is the steep, steep debt (at least in the case of Parsons) really going to introduce you to the ideas, the concepts, and, most importantly, the people that lead to those highly coveted positions at major firms, houses, and magazines?

I just graduated with average debt from a four year state school, and needless to say, I'm leery at the idea of spending twice what it cost me for FOUR years of a liberal arts degree on one year at fashion school!

15-08-2013
V.I.P.

hi guys
don't even know where to start...
I have a bachelor's degree in economics, I worked in various international companies but not fashion related ones and with my last job I realised I am so done, I so wanna pursue my career in fashion and I really want to get masters, preferably do it in NY. I wanna both study and work as I am planning to do it on my own finance wise. I have someone who has gone through the whole thing from the very beginning and is doing very well but it had nothing to do with fashion business at all, I am starting to collect information, so thought it's worth asking here. How realisic is it? I know it's a LOT of work and maybe a crazy decision but this is smth I have always wanted to do and feel like if it doesn't happen now, it will never happen and I will regret it tremendously. How realistic is it to get a loan from banks for the purpose of paying for university? I know banks consider a lot of factors and for example my "someone" got offers from several banks as her university was one of the tops and its graduates have very decent income to say the least. But I don't know how it works for fashion related educational institutions. What else will I need? I know I have to pass TOEFL first of all as I am from Russia, then I will have to be ready to write an essay... What else is crucial that I've missed? And most importantly what program I should consider given my first education (I am an economist, major in accounting, analysis and audit)? I definitely don't see myself as a designer or smth like this as I don't think I have such talent but I have a passion for fashion and need to find the best way to utilize what I have. I thought about becoming a buyer once but I am not sure what's best for me. And also I will need some reference, right? My employer is ready to do it for me but is it applicable considering the company works in a completely different sphere? Which places are to be considered? Parsons, FIT? Smth else?

I hope it's all not too messy, I am a bit lost as to where to beging my "journey".Any piece of advice is highly appreciated by me

Or maybe it is better to get masters in any good university and not particularly in the fashion ones that I listed?

Last edited by Sweet rus; 15-08-2013 at 07:58 AM.
06-09-2013
scenester

Hello everyone,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now. Next year I get out of the military, my intent is to go to school...FIT is my first choice. However, I am feeling a bit doubtful about my chances of getting in. I graduated high school with a dismally low gpa (2.7 weighted) and took a quarter at the local community college shortly thereafter and did mediocre (Bs in math and english, an A in computers, but an F in psychology). That was six years ago. Since then I joined the military to pay for school. During my time in I have done nothing but feign to work in the industry and go to FIT, but I fear that my grades will hold me back. I really do not want to waste a year or two going to a community college taking courses that won't even transfer over or have no relation to my intended major, fashion merchandising. However, if that's what I have to do, then I will suck it up and do it. I am wondering if I should go ahead and apply to FIT or not even waste my time. I hear it is super competitive, but then I talk to a friend that graduated with a business degree and he said it is uber easy to get in as long as you communicate your dedication and passion to fashion.

Also, I wonder what type of places people work while going to school there. I mean, its been six years since I had retail experience. Although I was good, very good actually, as a sales associate at a mass market retailer I want to eventually work in the luxury segment. Should I just put in applications at the retailers I want to work for or start out in the mass or bridge market to get my feet wet again. The thing about it is, that I am really looking for a company I could ultimately work for throughout college, so I've been contemplating looking at an internship like arrangement with a luxury brand on a very part time basis while I work in the mass market until I get back into the swing of things.

Any guidance, suggestions, encouragement, or critiques you all have is greatly appreciated!

27-11-2013
windowshopping

Fashion Styling Education
Hey everyone!

I wanted to hear your thoughts on places where a fashion stylist could receive more education or training?

I'm looking at the International Image Institute in Toronto, Canada for further training on image consulting/holistic consulting. I've also thought about attending Istituto Marangoni's Bachelor's program for Fashion Styling in London or taking Fashion Business/Business Management.

Please excuse me if this should be posted in an older thread...

As far as my background goes...
I am based in California, USA.
I was an apprentice for 2 years under a fashion director of a production company. I then received a fashion styling certificate in LA, and I'm close to finishing my Associate's Degree for Fashion Design. I've also been freelancing on my own and have built a portfolio.

28-11-2013
V.I.P.

We have a huge, 2 part thread about how to become a stylist.

Bottom line .... most stylists have never been to school for this career ... they sort of fall into it from other sources.

The best training is assisting another stylist .... see these threads for tons of information:

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist #2

Plus, if you search this forum (Careers & Education) with the keyword stylist, you'll find a few other applicable threads about some of the details of "how to style".

Last edited by BetteT; 28-11-2013 at 01:12 PM.
29-11-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
We have a huge, 2 part thread about how to become a stylist.

Bottom line .... most stylists have never been to school for this career ... they sort of fall into it from other sources.

The best training is assisting another stylist .... see these threads for tons of information:

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist #2

Plus, if you search this forum (Careers & Education) with the keyword stylist, you'll find a few other applicable threads about some of the details of "how to style".
Thank you!

18-02-2014
windowshopping

On Studying Fashion
Dear guys,
After graduating from Naval Architecture and doing an MA in Political Science, I just began doing PhD in Philosophy. But what lies inside my heart is art, particularly fashion. I would like to apply to some fashion institutes in Paris but I feel a little old for this. I need some encouragement I think. I can design, I speak several languages and I know I have the capacity to create but I still have doubts. What do you think? Bisous,

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, career, directions, education, goals, graduate, post, programs, school, studying