How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Thank you all sooo much for the input! Seems like the majority of you guys think that I should keep going with this career, and not go directly back to college. I have to say that I am swaying in that direction too, after thinking about this a lot and reading your suggestions. But it's so hard! There are possible positives and negatives on both sides:

Positives:
If I go back to college right away:
- Get a Bachelor's degree.
- Graduate with all my friends.

If I go straight to work:
- Won't have to worry about getting a job after college.
- Can continue moving up the ladder and keeping strong connections with the people I worked with this summer, as I will be more in touch with them.

Negatives:
If I go back to college right away:
- The connections I've made might get a little weaker with time.
- People I've worked with will move on to other projects, and hire new people who would replace me and those people might continue working for them, hurting my chance at getting a position again.

If I go straight to work:
- Miss out on my Senior year.
- Won't get a Bachelor's degree right away.
- Might not be able to move up to higher positions without a degree.

I feel like there's no right or wrong decision, as there are unknowns with either choice I choose. It's all about what feels right, and trying to make the decision that will leave me with the least amount of regrets in the future.

06-07-2007
the crying of humanity

I don't know, I think you should finish college. The job may be a great experience, but you can't beat having a degree. In my opinion, you would be thankful for finishing college in the future, because it opens the door to so many different opportunities.

V.I.P.

I dont know what its like were you live .. but were i live there is such a high unemployment level .. the jobs are very few and far between so as a result you need loads of qualifications to get a job .. a levels to work in a coffee shop etc. its so fierce the job market .. that you have to seize all the qualifications you can get.

I dont know what its like were yo live .. but here you need a degree to get anywere .. from a college drop out strugglign to find work .. trust me youll wish you satye don.

Personally for the sake of a few more months i would stay on .. as then you have a better chance of getting a job once this one ends.

This job by the sounds of it is only going to short term .. so basicly you need to think of the long term. Job security is never there so you need to give your self an edge.

Saying that though this is an amaizing oportunity by the sounds of it and college can wait.

But you will probaly have to start the whole course/year or what ever again ... which means basicly any work you ahve already done is a waste of time .. (like this in uk anyways)

Although in america it does seem to be alot easier to get a job with no qualofocations (sp?) from what i see.

I think this isnt an easy desision and it requires alot of thort .. draw up pros and cons for each etc and talk to as many people as you can about it.

Have you spoke to people at work about it ??

06-07-2007
seagreen serenades

finish college...

07-07-2007
tfs star

Continuing working..

I agree, school will always be there. And if your major is design related then school's really not that important. From what I gathered, having a degree is just a certificate that proves you finished school and nothing more.

I'm interning at a high-end design label and it's amazing how many people quit school to work there or didn't even go to school and are now making the big bucks in the jobs they have with the company.

School's important, don't get me wrong. But when you have a once in a lifetime opportunity that will let you get your foot in the door, then why not? Isn't the industry mostly about connections anyway?

Last edited by fashionicon; 07-07-2007 at 03:49 PM.
07-07-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionicon
I agree, school will always be there. And if your major is design related then school's really not that important. From what I gathered, having a degree is just a certificate that proves you finished school and nothing more.
I have to disagree. What if this job doesn't work out (in terms of leading to another position)? It's always nice to have a backup plan - in this case, a degree - if something goes unexpectedly. Also, a degree is very important in certain situations; it can mean the difference between getting the job or not.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
I have to disagree. What if this job doesn't work out (in terms of leading to another position)? It's always nice to have a backup plan - in this case, a degree - if something goes unexpectedly. Also, a degree is very important in certain situations; it can mean the difference between getting the job or not.
If the job does not work out, then school will always be there. That's what's so great about the school system. My parents went back to school when they were 40. There's no rush to finish school.

Also, if the job does not work out, then there is still a chance to network and make connections. I have made amazing connections through the people I intern for, as well as the other interns working here, and I'm only halfway into the internship.

A degree in fashion is only needed if you wanted to teach on the subject. There are plenty of designers/stylists who are self-taught in the business who have done very well for themselves- (Roland Mouret, Tommy Hillfiger, Paul Smith, other designers listed by other posters). I doubt one would turn down the next John Galliano/Alexander McQueen just because they didn't have a degree.

Why do you think it's so important and might I add required at some schools, to have industry experience/an internship before graduating? It really does no good to have a degree if you don't know, firsthand, how the industry operates.

There's really no reason why you shouldn't take the job.

Last edited by fashionicon; 07-07-2007 at 05:56 PM.
07-07-2007
the crying of humanity

^ Didn't TheKiwi want a degree in film, though?

Regardless, I would finish college. Then again, I've always been education first (not to mention, paranoid about the what-ifs).

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylauda View Post
Take the career opportunity. If you don't, it will always be in the back of mind, saying-- what if I took the job? What could I be doing now? School will always be there, but this job is once in a lifetime!
Agreed.

07-07-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
^ Didn't TheKiwi want a degree in film, though?

Regardless, I would finish college. Then again, I've always been education first (not to mention, paranoid about the what-ifs).
Same scenario. The only reason Steven Spiellberg went to film school was to avoid the draft.

No degree is required for any job that has to do with expressing yourself creatively. And all the more reason to take the opportunity, no? The film industry is one of the hardest industries to break into.

It's okay to veer away from the path once and awhile.

09-07-2007
backstage pass

I would take the job! It's an opportunity...and what do you go to college for? to maximise your opportunities! I know where I'm from, thousands of students delay their course for 6 months or a year to go travelling or work. If you take this job, it could lead to more contacts and job opportunities...and you can always finish your course whenever you are ready!

03-08-2007
front row

Transferring from school to school
I am studying fashion in Europe now but when i finish, my plan is to work in States, but...
almost all fashion schools in Italy are either a 3 or 2 year schools and on top of all that i just finished my 1 year (in a 3 year school) and plan to attend another (2 year) school from a second or even 1st year
Now I keep hearing about this bachelor (which is 4 years), right? Well, with my less than 4 years education in Italy, will I have a hard time finding a good job in States? Help!

03-08-2007
front row

oh and one more important question!
Can i possibly go to another 2 year school after i finish my current 2 year one and that way gather those 4 years to get a bachelor or does it HAVE to be all in 1 school all 4 years?
Oh God. Now I'm really scared.

03-08-2007
rising star

read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process
you must be ok with 3 years studies, anyway the next step can only be 3+2 not (unexistent) 3+1
btw what exactly are you studing? there is a "fashion" university in italy?

03-08-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxxxfast View Post
read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process
you must be ok with 3 years studies, anyway the next step can only be 3+2 not (unexistent) 3+1
btw what exactly are you studing? there is a "fashion" university in italy?

oh no, i never said it was a university!
I am studying to become a fashion designer
what do you mean by the next step?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, career, directions, education, goals, graduate, post, programs, school, studying