How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2007
rising star

the next degree at the university ... obviously unrelated to your studies

sorry for the misunderstanding but here in italy when you speak of 3+2 it implies university

03-08-2007
front row

i am soo confused
i just hope i can find a good job after im done with studying for 3 years?

08-08-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Who is your course accredited by, if not a university?

front row

well what do you mean? I know i get a certificate when i finish, if thats what you asking?

02-04-2008
backstage pass

Dallas vs. Austin, college-bound student in dire need of advice
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forums and I've had a huge weight on my mind for quite some while now. College. I have wanted to be a fashion designer pretty much since I could pick up a pencil and draw clothing. I know that sounds cliche and such, but I know that it's something I will pursue with all my being.

I planned on going to UT (Austin) to take their textiles and apparel course under Human Ecology. I know Austin is a wonderful city with millions of things to do, and most of my friends are going there. I also planned on minoring in business b/c they have a great business school.

Well my plan was shattered when I found out that I was capped, which means that I have to go to UTSA (San Antonio) for a year, maintain a 3.2 gpa, and transfer after freshman year. I still plan on appealing to UT, so that's up in the air.

My parents pressured me into applying at SMU (Southern Methodist University) in Dallas, a private school with the #2 business school in Texas and a great arts program. I was accepted with a huge scholarship and invitation to their Hilltop Scholars program. There, I can also easily double major in business and fashion PR with internships at various wonderful places such as Neiman Marcus, whereas at UT, it would be incredibly difficult to get into their business program. Dallas is much more conservative than Austin, but it's also known as the fashion capitol of Texas.

If anyone who has experienced both Austin or Dallas or both could give me some advice and/or opinions of the city, that would be wonderful.

Last edited by MichelleYue; 02-04-2008 at 11:09 PM.
03-04-2008
front row

I feel Austin has more of a vibrant, youthful vibe whereas Dallas is kind of more restrained (I don't want to say stuffy).
But, you've been offered better opportunities in Dallas so I would suggest you go there. And if you don't win the appeal in Austin they you'd be stuck in San Antonio, which is not bad but admittedly, UTSA has a community-college feel to it, I think.
Go to Dallas, that'd be your safest bet and it's not like you're going to be going to El Paso or something. Dallas is cool (if you know where to look) and offers many, many opportunities for fashion and business. Plus, at the SMU you'd get more attention from the professors, something you'd probably get little of at UT.
(I'm from Texas.)
But, of course, that's just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

rising star

I would go to Dallas, definitely! Better opportunities to network which of course is extremely important. If you're gonna stay in TX you might as well live in a city that is fairly fashion oriented. Some of my friends are in the cap program and they HATE living in SA, although it's possible you'd like it.

15-04-2008
backstage pass

yeah, I chose to go with SMU. :] Thank you both for the input!

windowshopping

I'm not sure how relevant my question is to this thread, but does anyone have any enlightening words on how to make a transfer application to a school appealing?
Like how to jazz up an essay inquiring why you would want to leave the current school you're at now?
I'm quite certain everyone's reason for desiring to go to a different place is similar in that they're not satisfied where they're currently situated in. But how would you make an essay like that unique without sounding condescending or as though you're whining?
I would really appreciate the help.

22-07-2008
windowshopping

SAIC School of the Art Inst of Chicago
I'm going back for my soph year next month.
I'm thinking of transferring to either Parsons or FIT next year for my junior year. I dont want to transfer and get adjusted to a whole different environment but I feel like i really need to be in NY. Could I get som advice to anything? I've been contemplating the whole year freshmen year and now as my soph year is approaching im still having doubts if i should transfer or not. I was leaning more towards FIT but still not sure..

SAIC is mainly about conceptual. about the starving artist. they dont reall focus on getting you a job out of college,instead its just about growing as an artist throughout the 4 years. I realize that's important too but I dont want to be just stuck with nothing to do with a Fashion Design BFA from SAIC.
I absolutely HATED conceptual art. esp. with fashion. but now i'm getting used to it and learning that i have to really play around with the female form to get an idea. IDK!

anyone transferred to Parsons or FIT and loved it?
I know it depends on the person and what style they love more. but as for me i love the haute couture but also want to learn ready-to-wear but our school only focuses on couture fashion.

help!
thanks

22-07-2008
fashion insider

I myself have not transferred to Parsons or FIT, skinnyjenny, but if you feel that trying for either would place you better with a job and/or stand out on your resume, I would say to go for it! You can always apply to transfer and then decide when you get in what the move will be. I think you should give yourself options and not limit yourself to an environment that you know and Chicago.

I am debating transferring schools (not out of state, mind you) myself as a Junior. I will be a sophomore this fall. I'm in a sorority, on the newspaper staff, working at our writing center at my current University but if UNC would look better on my resume, I'll take that risk of going from having everything to nothing! Parsons and FIT are top ranked schools and I don't think it would hurt to apply and do some thinking, deep thinking these next few months!

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellofenix View Post
I'm not sure how relevant my question is to this thread, but does anyone have any enlightening words on how to make a transfer application to a school appealing?
Like how to jazz up an essay inquiring why you would want to leave the current school you're at now?
I'm quite certain everyone's reason for desiring to go to a different place is similar in that they're not satisfied where they're currently situated in. But how would you make an essay like that unique without sounding condescending or as though you're whining?
I would really appreciate the help.
The typical approach would probably be the negatives about your current school. "I don't find diversity. I dislike the professors. I hate my classes and the people." I would recommend trying to be positive and put everything in retrospect, letting the admissions officers know just how you will prosper at their university as opposed to your current one or how you will continue your academic success at their school. Talk about your interests and how this school, compared to your current one, will supplement your growth.

Hope this helps some!

windowshopping

I would say transfer! If you feel that you've learned already what you needed to learn and SAIC has taught you what you need then transfer! I think big league schools absolutely adore the idea that you want a BIGGER challenge. and also in the fashion world... a great designer.. needs not just talent but the opportunity to obtain prestigious internships and network with multitudes of important people within the Fashion Community. Parsons.. FIT... CSM all have an amazing alumni/curriculum/ and internship/networking opportunities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenL View Post
I'm going back for my soph year next month.
I'm thinking of transferring to either Parsons or FIT next year for my junior year. I dont want to transfer and get adjusted to a whole different environment but I feel like i really need to be in NY. Could I get som advice to anything? I've been contemplating the whole year freshmen year and now as my soph year is approaching im still having doubts if i should transfer or not. I was leaning more towards FIT but still not sure..

SAIC is mainly about conceptual. about the starving artist. they dont reall focus on getting you a job out of college,instead its just about growing as an artist throughout the 4 years. I realize that's important too but I dont want to be just stuck with nothing to do with a Fashion Design BFA from SAIC.
I absolutely HATED conceptual art. esp. with fashion. but now i'm getting used to it and learning that i have to really play around with the female form to get an idea. IDK!

anyone transferred to Parsons or FIT and loved it?
I know it depends on the person and what style they love more. but as for me i love the haute couture but also want to learn ready-to-wear but our school only focuses on couture fashion.

help!
thanks

29-03-2009
front row

Need advice about future fashion career...
I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong thread, but I've always found great help from people on this and I hope I can find some more in my current situtation..

My big problem is that I am literally torn between what I want to do. In the beginning, my dream was to study fashion. Whilst in high school I worked very hard, created a portfolio, and got into F.I.T as a fashion design major. A great school for me to be in considering I was very into fashion and very into the technical aspect of actual sewing and designing. I figured that a career in patternmaking was what I was really into and I was never into fashion just for the glamour aspect. I understood that it takes hard work in the industry and was interested in patternmaking or an actual hands on job because I was into it.

This is where things start to turn... Halfway or almost more then halfway through first semester I started having doubts. It wasn't that I lost my passion for fashion, but I wasn't sure if fashion was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I would find myself sitting in the workshop at 2 a.m sewing a sleeve and starting to wonder if this was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Did I really want to work hard, long hours with little pay, working in a job in fashion? I loved fashion, but was I that passionate that I was willing to live a life that it entails?

I felt like I was capable of doing so much more. I had always been a good student growing up academically and started to feel like fashion was very limiting. I felt like I had the capability to study hard at a normal college, go to graduate school and have a career where I could be respected and earn a good living in which I could support not just myself but a family. Fashion was great but I felt like I got so caught into it. I felt almost selfish that I was going into a career just for myself and my own interests whereas I could be working a government job or helping developing countries.

So I did what I thought was best and took a semester off, and now for my second semester I am in a college close to home doing an academic major. I figured that after studying here for a little while, I'd be able to compare my time at F.I.T and figure what I liked better. Problem is, I have no idea.

Sometimes I feel like I got scared. That I chickened out working in fashion and went for something safer. I felt so scared of the fact that I would get to my last year at F.I.T and change my mind. And regret everything. Other times I feel like my decision was sensible and forward. That I was smart to choose a career that would encourage intellectual thought and be for my betterment. Other times I'm just downright confused.

My main question is what should I do from here? Who should I talk to? I talked to people at F.I.T and counselors but honestly they weren't much help. No one really told me to stay and no one could answer the questions I had. Was I wrong to leave F.I.T? Should I go back? Should I stay where I am now?

And thanks for reading such a long post. Second semester is almost ending for me and I just want to make the most out of my time rather then just running away from my problems...

30-03-2009
V.I.P.

Hello What kind of academic major are you in now? And you wrote it didn't help you at all to compare that with FIT...

I'm sure this is normal, I know a couple people going through the same thing.

To be honest for myself, I don't really think about whether or not I will make money in fashion. It's really just for myself. I love the techniques and the learning and mostly I just want to make clothes for myself. It is important enough to me that I would like to wear interesting clothes or be surrounded by them.

Have you tried working in fashion? At a store? At a studio? You can't say you hate it or will hate it unless you try...
I have only had one job in fashion and it was only a smart part of it, there are so many kinds out there. I would have to try other jobs to really get a taste of if this is what I want to do for a living. There are so many different things to experience. And there are also other ideas I have which have nothing to do with fashion. Only then maybe you can decide

Last edited by gius; 30-03-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, career, directions, education, goals, graduate, post, programs, school, studying