How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
27-06-2009
  61
windowshopping
 
Big Apple Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta
Gender: femme
Posts: 3
What should I study in college for Fashion?
I really want to work for a decorating/fashion geared magazine. I would really like to go into publishing. I always wanted to work for Domino Magazine, but it tanked. My question is, to achieve this, what should i study in college? I am in junior college now, but i want to be ready and know what to do.

  Reply With Quote
 
28-06-2009
  62
V.I.P.
 
gius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,162
Hello Kate, Among the other advice you can get in this thread, you can also do a search in this forum for careers you are interested in, typing in keywords like magazine or journalism, etc. Check near the top of this thread, for a link "Search this thread"... You can click "search thread titles only" for something more specific

Here's another thread
How to Get Work at a Fashion Magazine & Get to the Top

There's also this:
Education for a career in fashion?

__________________


Last edited by gius; 28-06-2009 at 02:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
28-06-2009
  63
fashion insider
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,007
Hi everybody!
I'm wondering if I even need to go to college. I want to become a stylist at a magazine, in Paris, France, or Moscow, Russia, so I'd probably start working at a magazine as an intern, or possibly an assistant. So... should I go to college?

  Reply With Quote
06-07-2009
  64
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Gender: femme
Posts: 5
Advice Please? Too old to go back to school?
Hi!

I have always wanted to go to school for fashion business to become a buyer or a merchandiser but have held off for many years working in an office setting with my business administration degree in Accounting. I realized this year that I wanted to step out and finally have the guts to go back to college. I applied and was accepted into George Brown for their Fashion Management Program. Heres the thing.... i'm 28 and am wondering if this is a mistake? i mean I love fashion and have a serious passion for it, but I guess i've been out of the post secondary education world for years.... Also i am quitting my full time job to go to school full time...and am looking for a part-time job. I've worked in retail previously and am wondering what positions I should apply to in order to get me pointed in the right direction...

Please help anyone with any advice that you may have!

  Reply With Quote
06-07-2009
  65
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 30
Hi.

I canít give you specific advice about the field you want to go into or the value of a degree from that university. But:

1. I would definitely try to make contact with someone who is currently doing the job you want to do. (And, if possible, you would like to talk to more than one!) They can tell you about the value of the degree, and so on.

2. In my opinion, 28 is not too old. 48 is not too old. I knew someone who had been teaching primary-school for a dozen years, and got fed-up with it. She started over, and went to work for a national fashion retailer. When she interviewed for an entry-level position, they looked at her resume, with her BA in English and an advanced degree in Piano, and told her she was WAY overqualified for this ďstarterĒ position. She told them it was what she wanted to do; they gave it to her. She was older. 28 is not too old to change careers. The girl who lived across the hall from me in college got her BA in biology, went to work in a pharma lab, and hated it. She was about 28 when she quit and took a job managing a store of THE LIMITED.

3. Itís not such a bad time to go back to school, but this is a terrible time, at least down here in the USA, to be looking for work. 1 in 8 Californians who are looking for work, canít find a job. Thatís terrible! I donít know how bad the economy is where you are, or are expecting to be, but you might just want to make sure that your future/finances are secure before dumping a stable job that gives you some security.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Steve.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee_Dot_Gyal View Post
Hi!

I have always wanted to go to school for fashion business to become a buyer or a merchandiser but have held off for many years working in an office setting with my business administration degree in Accounting. I realized this year that I wanted to step out and finally have the guts to go back to college. I applied and was accepted into George Brown for their Fashion Management Program. Heres the thing.... i'm 28 and am wondering if this is a mistake? i mean I love fashion and have a serious passion for it, but I guess i've been out of the post secondary education world for years.... Also i am quitting my full time job to go to school full time...and am looking for a part-time job. I've worked in retail previously and am wondering what positions I should apply to in order to get me pointed in the right direction...

Please help anyone with any advice that you may have!

  Reply With Quote
07-07-2009
  66
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Gender: femme
Posts: 5
Thanks The other Steve!

I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada. And i'm planning on trying to become a buyer (eventually) but I don't know if I should work from the bottom and pay my dues or if i should go from college to university?

Do you know anyone/ or does anyone know of any Canadian Fashion Contacts who are buyers?



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Steve View Post
Hi.

I canít give you specific advice about the field you want to go into or the value of a degree from that university. But:

1. I would definitely try to make contact with someone who is currently doing the job you want to do. (And, if possible, you would like to talk to more than one!) They can tell you about the value of the degree, and so on.

2. In my opinion, 28 is not too old. 48 is not too old. I knew someone who had been teaching primary-school for a dozen years, and got fed-up with it. She started over, and went to work for a national fashion retailer. When she interviewed for an entry-level position, they looked at her resume, with her BA in English and an advanced degree in Piano, and told her she was WAY overqualified for this ďstarterĒ position. She told them it was what she wanted to do; they gave it to her. She was older. 28 is not too old to change careers. The girl who lived across the hall from me in college got her BA in biology, went to work in a pharma lab, and hated it. She was about 28 when she quit and took a job managing a store of THE LIMITED.

3. Itís not such a bad time to go back to school, but this is a terrible time, at least down here in the USA, to be looking for work. 1 in 8 Californians who are looking for work, canít find a job. Thatís terrible! I donít know how bad the economy is where you are, or are expecting to be, but you might just want to make sure that your future/finances are secure before dumping a stable job that gives you some security.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Steve.

  Reply With Quote
14-07-2009
  67
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon
Gender: femme
Posts: 14
Hi All,

I am 27 and currently part of the IT Industry. I have 6-7 yrs experience in computer Applications and no experienc ein Fashion Industry. I am thinking about shifting to Fashion Career due to many reasons, 1 being that I am very passionate about Fashion Designing. As part of IT Industry, I have done lot of promoting my companies services and finding innovative ideas to get business for the firm. Hence, Fashion Marketing is also a good idea for me. Although, I was thinking more in the lines of Fashion Designing.

I have done my Post Graduation in Software Engineering.

Considering this, How would you all suggest I start in this Industry? I don't want to start graduation again and spend 3-4 years now. Could you suggest some Fashion schools which have a very good repo and have some fast track courses in Fashion Designing / Fashion Marketing? I am looking for courses which would make me enter the Fashion Industry immediately after the course and I am not compelled to do Masters to get a job. I am ready to put any number of hours a week and give my better than the best shot!

I would be qualified as international student and hence, wanted to ensure that after studying in the xyz school, I am not asked to go back to my country. I was looking more in Paris, London and Milan and courses in English. I found Instituto Marangoni and loved it but their one year course is not enough to land a job immediately after the course and you would have to follow it up with another course.

I found FIDM and Parsons having such courses but I am not sure how the laws work for International students after the completion of course. The FIDM was telling me that probabaly I might not be aloowed to work immediately after the course and would have to go for some Optional training approval form from immigration. Rest of the students can start working from Day 1 but I would have to get this form signed by Immigration. Would anyone have an idea about this?

  Reply With Quote
15-07-2009
  68
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,425
Welcome to the Fashion Spot, nikita27!

Those 2 things require vastly different educations and skills, from what I have seen. And no course or degree will propell you into the industry automatically ... it's way too competitive. It will depend on everything you bring to the table, education, internships, working experience and connections (this is a huge one).

Fashion design really will take a 4 years course because it's a very hands on thing that can't just be learned in a book ... it takes practice to develop the skills you will need in the work place. In addition to studying about fashion, you have to learn how to sew, make and cut patterns, drape, illustrate and all that technical stuff you will need to be able to do,to be hired by a fashion line.

There are thousands of recent graduates that will be competing with you for every job ... because being a fashion designer is considered a "glamour" field (although it really isn't.)... and they all will have 4 year degrees and some experience under thier belts, by interning and using connections. The grad with the best credentials and experience has the best chance of getting that low level job at a fashion house or even at a company like the GAP.

Marketing ... is marketing. There really is no such thing as a good "fashion marketing" course of study ... it's just all marketing ... so that is where you should focus your education. It requires good business and math skills and being in IT, you probably already have some of that going for you. Your training/education in marketing works for all fields, even autos, hamburgers, soap ... and fashion. But if you already have some solid experience in marketing, that might allow you to make the transition to working for a fashion line or retail company in their marketing dept. while you study a night or something.

We have threads on each of these occupations and lots more of interest here. In addition, if they mention any particular school that interests you, you may search by that school's name ... we probably have a thread on it, too.

I have done an Advanced Seach for you (searching by thread titles in this Careers forum) and have found these:

Fashion Marketing

Breaking Into the Fashion Industry

Education to Become a Designer: Is a Degree Necessary? Can I Do Individualized Study?
Give me some advice for becoming a designer?
how do i know if i'm 'good enough' for fashion design?
I want to Work for a Designer ... How Can I Make this Happen?
can you handle it? being a fashion designer *wwd article

And for more ideas about various other fashion careers (and we have threads on most of these ideas, too):

What Career for Me ... if I Can'tSew/ Make Patterns/Draw, Etc.?
Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
15-07-2009
  69
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,425
Oh ... regarding working in the US ... if you are not a legal resident or citizen ... you must apply for a card that authorizes you to work in the US. It's very complicated ... so some people employ a immigration attorney to fill out all the correct forms and to make sure you have the right documentation. Normally you need your employer to work with you to get this permission.

As I understand it, you must already have a job lined up and you employer must demonstrate why you are needed, instead of an American citizen. For example, if you were already known in your country for your designs ... they would be unique to you. Therefore, your employer could show that they are hiring you for your already proven talent in the field and that since it is a talent based business, no one else could do what you do ... exactly. I think that means you would have to go home and become sucessfull for at least 2 years, before you could return to the Us to work.

Here is the Gov't. agency that handles all of this (the USCIS ... U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service) and this page is about applying for permission to work in the US. Everything you need to know is here ... if you can understand it (it's confusing).
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

Last edited by BetteT; 15-07-2009 at 12:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
17-07-2009
  70
backstage pass
 
Ievut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lithuania
Gender: femme
Posts: 539
hey everyone, I need an advice about what to do with my life

I am currently in 11th form, so I'll finish high-school in just 2 years, but I need to send my applications for universities next september.

I like business, communicating. So I decided to go with fashion management at LCF. But now I am not sure anymore...

Is LCF a good university?
Is it hard to make it in fashion industry?
Am I fashionable, stylish enough to fit in and do great job?

and etc.

Can you please, help me? Because I am totally confused..

  Reply With Quote
17-07-2009
  71
front row
 
gian-franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 354
oh, I need your help too. I'm totally lost.
I have a bachelor diploma in law, two years of work experience in pr and a long lasting relationship with passion for fashion. as my small lithuania is not enough for me i want to break it in to the fashion business and to nyc, so my plan was to apply for aas in fashion marketing for spring 2010 and I was willing to get some scholarships or grants, so i could study there, cause I dont have 55k a year just for that. but now I have found out, that noone is giving any scholarships for AAS programs, so for sure I cannt study there. Though, I guess I'm still going to waste some of my money on trying to get admitted - I just want to know if I can or can not.
But I dont know what to do. I dont want to stay in Lithuania anymore. In fact I'm also not too much into studies, but I was thinking that this could help to get into the fashion ind. and to ny. But what shall I do now? I can not get any financing for aas programs, for sure I dont want to waste my another 4 years at some school to get my second bachelor, I can not find any masters in ny in fashion/marketing/pr... could you advise me any, maybe I'm too stupid to find them? well, i found smth and I'm interested in MBA at LIM, but everyone are asking for GRE or GMAT tests, but I was preparing for parsons, so for sure I dont have these results...
I'm so lost idk what to do. and i really really dont want to stay here in lithuania anymore.
but how could i find a job anywhere, especially nyc, if i can not even go there for the stupid visa system?
well, i could also be interested in paris, cause i speak french (not perfectly, though). but i'm afraid to go there all alone, not having any friends there, nor the job... and it's that ****ing crisis!

oh, please become my saviours and advise me what to do!

  Reply With Quote
17-07-2009
  72
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,425
Ievut ... we have a thread about LCF, here. You can read about what everyone thinks about it ... but I beleive it's quite a good school.

Yes ... it's extremely hard to make it in fashion ... it's considered a "galmour" career so the competition is very stiff.

It's not always about being fashionable ... it depends on the job. If you are in a back office doing accounting or legal stuff at a fashion house ... I don't think they expect you to present yourself any particular way ... since you are not in the public eye. But ... sometimes they do ... it depends on the job, the boss and the company.

You need to focus your efforts in a general direction and it sounds like something to do with the business of fashion might be good for you. Not every job in fashion requires a "fashion" education just a stong education in that area but you can use it in the fashion industry?

You might consider the following jobs which are involved with business, numbers and communications ( each of them have threads here, too):

Buyer
Merchandising
Public Relations
Marketing


There are a few threads about various other careeers in fashion (just for some ideas about what you might like to do) and one about having a businees backgroud and using it in fashion ... other things besides being a designer, so you should check those out for other ideas.

Business Graduates in the Fashion Industry?

Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!

What Career for Me ... if I Can'tSew/ Make Patterns/Draw, Etc.?



__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
17-07-2009
  73
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,425
gian-franco,

Yeah ... I can understand that Lituania might not be a fashion capital of the world and if you love fashion, you probably would be happy working somewhere else.

It sounds like you do not want to go to school anymore if you can't get that one program. So ... you will have to consider working in fashion somehow ... maybe in another country.

Working in the US requires that you have an employer that will sponsor you and so you have to be already establised in somewhere else, before they will allow you to work here. So ... you have to be doing something for at least 2 years (maybe longer) ... in your creer area that you intend to work in, when you come to NY, before you will be considered for a U.S. work permit.

So ... if Paris is a possibility, I would say try that first. I don't know what the requirements are to work there, as a Lituanian. But it might be easier than the U.S. I do know that you must be fluent in French to work there, or they just won't hire you.

How about Antwerp or Milan ... they are both fashion hubs?

You say you have some legal education ... can you use that in the fashion industry somewhere? Designers, retailers, fashion houses all need attorneys for various purposes ... contact law, intellectual rights, negotiations ... things like that. Maybe work as a law clerk in a firm that specializes in the fashion industry?

Or work for a PR firm that specializes in fashion ... in Paris or wherever, if you can find a job like that.

How about a fashion magazine ... working in any deptartment that will have you ...just an other idea.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

Last edited by BetteT; 17-07-2009 at 06:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
18-07-2009
  74
front row
 
gian-franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 354
thank you.
I definately do not want to do anything law related, but you gave some ideas, thanks.
and magazines is my big big love also, i'd love to work for some magazine, but it's as hard to get in there as anywhere else...
i'm happy that we have the fashions spot


Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
gian-franco,

Yeah ... I can understand that Lituania might not be a fashion capital of the world and if you love fashion, you probably would be happy working somewhere else.

It sounds like you do not want to go to school anymore if you can't get that one program. So ... you will have to consider working in fashion somehow ... maybe in another country.

Working in the US requires that you have an employer that will sponsor you and so you have to be already establised in somewhere else, before they will allow you to work here. So ... you have to be doing something for at least 2 years (maybe longer) ... in your creer area that you intend to work in, when you come to NY, before you will be considered for a U.S. work permit.

So ... if Paris is a possibility, I would say try that first. I don't know what the requirements are to work there, as a Lituanian. But it might be easier than the U.S. I do know that you must be fluent in French to work there, or they just won't hire you.

How about Antwerp or Milan ... they are both fashion hubs?

You say you have some legal education ... can you use that in the fashion industry somewhere? Designers, retailers, fashion houses all need attorneys for various purposes ... contact law, intellectual rights, negotiations ... things like that. Maybe work as a law clerk in a firm that specializes in the fashion industry?

Or work for a PR firm that specializes in fashion ... in Paris or wherever, if you can find a job like that.

How about a fashion magazine ... working in any deptartment that will have you ...just an other idea.

  Reply With Quote
22-07-2009
  75
scenester
 
venjeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 82
i am 27yrs old.
i went to school for a semester but had to drop it because of family financial issues.
after that i been working till now (which is not relate to fashion) to support myself and my family.
my concern is if i go back to school and graduate i will be 30 or 31.
i don't want that and thinking of going for 1 year course. plus i dont even know if i can go back to school that i was attending.
anyway my question is will it be hard to get a job with just an 1year course?
also my additional question is IED has 1 year course
and i am planning to go there. any info about that school?

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, career, directions, education, goals, graduate, post, programs, school, studying
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.