How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-03-2010
trendsetter

Does anybody know about good summer courses about fashion styling, journalism and history? thanks!

25-03-2010
fashion insider

Wow BetteT, it sounds you have done some interesting stuff! (but I'll catch that up somewhere else, this thread isn't appropriate )

Thanks a lot! I'll check out that website!

fashion insider

Hi, I'm almost done with my junior year in high school and next year I should be sending my aplications to schools I'd like to go to. I'd love to go to NYC because its the capital of fashion in the western hemisphere but knowing that it just seems so imposible I don't know if I should just stay here in Chicago and go to a fashion school or if I get accepted to FIT or Parson's (that would be a dream come true) and move to NYC, live filthy poor and live in a cardboard box, would be better. I don't know if Chicago has good connections with the fashion industry because it doesnt really seems like it does. So I dont know what would be best for me, stay here or move to NYC. Advice please?

Last edited by CrisGalaxy; 28-03-2010 at 01:41 AM.
28-03-2010
V.I.P.

Chicago does have a lot of clothing retailers and manufacturers that headquarter there ... so there is work. But it's generally not high end stuff ... more middle America sort of stuff.

I'd say that the better the school you can get into, the better your chances of getting work afterwards ... in any city. And NY has the best fashion schoools in the U.S.

But ... alll those other grads from FIT and Parsons (not only from your class, but from all the classes ahead of you) will be competing against you after you graduate so finding work in NY is very, very competitive. But, if don't find work in NY ... you have a fall back if you want to move back to Chicago. I would think that the competition would be less there and you'd have a leg up on the grads of the local schools.

So, I'd suggest that you shoot for the best school you can get into to give yourself the best education possible so you are prepared to compete. Apply everywhere in both cities and if you do get accepted to both NY and local schools ... you can decide at that time. If you don't get into the NY schools, then your decsion is made for you.

29-03-2010
windowshopping

Hi,
I have to do a sewing this week for a program I applied to. I've never sewed in my life, but I have an idea how to use the machines. Any advice or tips on what I can do or help?

29-03-2010
V.I.P.

Sewing is a skill that takes practice ... so get going and practice for several hours every day, untill you know what you are doing and can learn some of the basics like making a seam, setting in a sleeve, sewing a dart and working with a pattern. go to this thread to see if there are any books that might help you learn and might offer some sewing projects: Books for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Developing your Own Line. Etc . If not, then try your local library or book store on some how to books. And maybe even search YouTube ... you might find some tutorials.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-03-2010 at 01:52 AM.
31-03-2010
front row

Online Fashion market research report Mintel
Hi, does anyone have a PDF copy of the Mintel Online fashion UK 2009 market research report they could email to me please?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thank you

02-04-2010
front row

MFA, Master of Fine Arts Advice
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to throw this out there in case any of you had some advice, I'm about to finish my bachelor of design (fashion) and am thinking about doing a Masters for Fine Arts.

Does anyone here have that degree? Was it worth it? What school did you go to? Know of any good Canadian schools, or what are the best ones worldwide?

Thanks!

windowshopping

I need some advice! I am currently studying fashion merchandising. This is my first year studying it. I am taking a design class that I have a project in where I need to design my own line of clothing and I am having difficulty sketching and coming up with new ideas. I've never drawn before or ever taken any art classes. Does this mean I could be studying the wrong thing? Should everything be coming to me more naturally?

V.I.P.

You don't need to draw or design to be a fashion merchandiser ... so I wouldn't worry about not being able to draw. It's mostly about numbers, statistics, and sales ... so if you have a good head for business and math, then merchandising is a good career for you.

However ... you really need to be able to draw your ideas, if you are taking any design class. Hopefully, that "design" is only an elective class and not necessary for your merchandising degree.

I would say it's the wrong class for you ... take a drawing or some art classes first, before you take desgn ... if it's something that you need to eventually take.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-04-2010 at 02:26 PM.
23-04-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl4morous5un5et View Post
I need some advice! I am currently studying fashion merchandising. This is my first year studying it. I am taking a design class that I have a project in where I need to design my own line of clothing and I am having difficulty sketching and coming up with new ideas. I've never drawn before or ever taken any art classes. Does this mean I could be studying the wrong thing? Should everything be coming to me more naturally?
It helps to just draw the clothes on croquis instead of drawing the whole figure, that way you just focus on the clothes and its easier if you haven't drawn before.

here's a croquis: http://fidm.edu/academics/majors/fas...t_croquis.html

Last edited by kitty87kat; 23-04-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added link
30-04-2010
windowshopping

Moving Overseas for Fashion?
Hello,

I need some advice and help.
Firstly - summer schools for fashion? Are there any around, I was looking at LCF but you need to be 18 and I don't turn 18 until this August. So know of any others? or any fashion programs that last around that long?
Also moving overseas, anyone who has done this, are you glad you did? I live in a city that is not very fashion forward in Australia. I've looked at Melbourne and Sydney at studying at The Whitehouse Design and they offer barely any courses compared to overseas. I'm a UK citizen so I want to go over for about three months and then take it from there, depending on what happens. I am already applying for jobs, even though it's hard to get one when your overseas. I would really like to work and study, but I don't know of any fashion study courses around in the summer that go longer than just a week - some fashion schools offer as a short course option. Keep in mind I'll be 17 still.
I have completed four subjects for a journalism degree I was accepted into uni for, but i deferred a semester and really want to maximise this time and opportunity. So to sum it up, fashion courses for 17 yr olds in London over the summer? Any extra advice? Oh and in Australia students can be subsidised by the Government, do UK have this and what's it called (remember i'm a citizen)? Any other information? Oh and those who have moved overseas - is it better to go through an organisation (such as BUNAC or IEP)?

Thank you,

03-05-2010
V.I.P.

I can direct you to a thread about summer programs. Read through it ....there might be something in there about London schools and there are several other ideas in there, too.
Home Study, Summer and Online/Virtual Fashion School Courses

In NY ... Parsons ...which might not work for you , but here's a thread about it:
Parsons Summer Intensive Studies

Last edited by BetteT; 03-05-2010 at 01:01 AM.
04-05-2010
front row

There are times when I get really upset about where I am in school right now. I started off in FIT as a fashion design major. I liked it but I think the combination of not adjusting to the city and unsure of if I wanted to continue fashion scared me so I left. I started taking classes at a "regular" university and I liked it. I liked that I was not just limited to fashion and drawing classes and that I could take classes in so many different fields. I like to be educated to learn about academics, but there are times when I look back at my time at FIT and it hurts. I hate to live with regrets but I feel as if the further I get into school the more I worry about making a mistake. I see the work that my old classmates are doing now at FIT and I wish I could be doing that. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I stayed at FIT and I always think about going back. However, I don't want to go back only to come back again. I've been going through this dilemma for almost 2 years now and it bothers me. I feel as if no matter what side I'm on, I'm always unsure. Sigh..

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get it out.

V.I.P.

First of all ... education is good ... any education. Secondly, if you are nor committed 100% to fashion as a career ... then fashion school could be a waste of time. So I don't think you did the wrong thing.

There are still lot's of careers in fashion that don't need you to be educated at a fashion school ... so take the time to figure out where your interests and talents are by continuing in general academics and sooner or later it will become apparent what you would be happiest doing, as a career.

About the only thing that you need fashion school for is being a desinger. Here's some ideas of things you can do in fashion that don't require a fashion school eductaion

Publishing .... fashion editor/stylist, managing editor.
Journalism ... writing a column, reporting ... writing skills essential.
Buying ... working in retail, need good math and business skills and a good eye for what sells in shops.
Merchandising .... similar, but more geared to statistics and profit & loss.
Freelance stylist/ makeup artist/ photographer ... need good business and marketing skills, some talent and and a good education in art and history a plus.
Marketing and Advertising ... creative but also need good business skills.
Public Relations ... need to be able to write well, like social settings, be able to work under changing pressures.

We have threads about all of these occupations and more, right in this forum ... if you want to know more about each profession. And we have a thread about "What Career for Me" ... which lists these and more ideas.

Last edited by BetteT; 04-05-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, career, directions, education, goals, graduate, post, programs, school, studying