How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2006
windowshopping

Advice about what to do about School and Career Goals - See Post #1 for directions
Moderator's Note:

This thread is for anyone facing a big decision about your life and school, in general. This is where you may post your story and ask for personal advice about your direction and goals.

Ask things like:

Should I change schools?
Which school should I go to?
Should I leave school and start a career?
Do I even need school at this point in my life?
Whether or not to change majors?
Do I need additional education to reach my goals?
Want help making a career/school/internship choice.

If you want to know something about a certain school, you should find the appropriate school thread or find the thread about schools in your country /city and ask there.

If you want know where to go to school or what education is needed for a specific career, ask in the career thread.

To ask about what career you might be suited to ... there are general threads about that too.

Use the serach function using appropriate keywords that are least 4 letters long and search by thread titles only ... or you will get too many results.

i 'm now 16 .And i'm thinking to study in a community college next year.
I wanna study in a art school like prat,fit or CSM,ANTWEP IN UK .
I'm wondering if GOOD art school will accept students from COMMUNITY COLLEGE?? OR should i continue studying year11 &12??
thank you very much!

Last edited by BetteT; 11-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.

14-07-2006
V.I.P.

I don't see why not. People have different reasons why they chose community colleges. in most cases because of high tuition from a 4 yr college. However, you need to have an excellent GPA. And take hard subjects as an added bonus to show to a 4 yr college or a specialty trade school that you are worth a transfer.

05-07-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Advice needed - finish college or start career?
Hey all!

I'm really torn at the moment, and having a hard time figuring out my life right now. I landed the job opportunity of a lifetime this summer, working on the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2" movie as the Shop Coordinator. It's an amazing first job in the industry, and it's sure to lead me to more jobs afterwards if I do a good job, which I am confident that I will. I'm making really good money, and have lots of great perks (my own production cell phone and production car, with gas provided to me).

My dilemma is this: should I go back to college in the Fall and finish up my Senior year, or should I just continue down this path right away? I'm nervous that if I go back to school for a year, not as many people will remember me, and it'll hurt my chances of getting as good of a job in this industry again. I really lucked out this time around, and I just don't know if I should risk a degree in film to go immediately into this industry, or go back to school first?

Any advice would be most helpful! Thank you.

05-07-2007
fashion elite

It sounds like the shop coordinator job is an amazing opportunity, and a good chance to network and get yourself out there. If I were you I would go with that, but it's all about going with your gut instinct.
Do what feels right.

Hope that helps at least a bit?

05-07-2007
trendsetter

I think you should finish school. The combination of work experience and your degree is invaluable. There is never job security. People will remember you. If this company still wants you after your done school than that is great. But if they don't, then other companies will hire you with your degree. Besides the company you are with can give you a great reference.

05-07-2007
tfs star

if you have more and more opportunities opening up to you, in your field of choice, why not take advantage of them? school isn't going to go anywhere, if you have already begun to work- i say work!

V.I.P.

i say work too...
usually at schools, there is an option to continue your studies

like i have 2 semesters left till i graduate but i could choose to do one
and then do the last semester another year... it's alright with my teachers

Donna Karan also dropped out to work for Anne Klein and start her own line
and then she went back to Parson's to finish her studies :p

If you're worried about your classmates, try to keep in touch with them (find them on Facebook?). Anyway you will always meet more people, sometimes even better people, as life goes on

05-07-2007
Press escape to continue.

If I had to decide between the work and school, I'd choose the work hands down. But I would also leave the option open to return to school. You might even be able to do both if the commute isn't prohibitive.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

V.I.P.

Honey, for me--I agree that finishing college is hard to miss... but if you start the career--it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, you can go back to college after.
Then again, if the career doesn't work out--you really do need college to give them proper education for another job.

I'm sorry that I'm not giving the best advice... but GOOD LUCK HONEY with whatever you decide!

trendsetter

That job sounds amazing. Personally, I would continue down the career path and finish school later. Maybe you can take a semester off, try it, and if things aren't going as planned, go back to school. Or if it's not too much work, you could keep the job and go to school part time? Anyways, good luck in whatever you choose and I'm sure that everything will work out for the best.

05-07-2007
Wanderlust

School is always there! I say seize this moment and go for the work!

06-07-2007
fashion icon

I'd agree with most and say take the career oppurtunities, but see if you can postpone your studies but go back at a later date. Whatever you choose to do I wish you good luck

06-07-2007
backstage pass

Take the career opportunity. If you don't, it will always be in the back of mind, saying-- what if I took the job? What could I be doing now? School will always be there, but this job is once in a lifetime!

06-07-2007
V.I.P.

I'd say definitely continue with what you're doing - college will always be there. In creative industries like film and fashion contacts are really important

trendsetter

congrats! Sounds like you have a great job. I say take the semester/year off. If it doesn't work out, you can go back to school.

Also, if you start planning now, maybe you can take some of your classes as independent study/on-line.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advice, career, directions, education, goals, graduate, post, programs, school, studying