How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-06-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Advisors During Shoots?
I was watching ANTM an hour ago and there I saw Jay Manuel telling the girls what to do and such and such. So I wondered, in real fashion photography, is there someone at the shoot that advises the models how to pose or look, just like Jay does at ANTM

And also, is there someone who actually trains models on how to walk, just like Jay Alexander, or do real models just get thrown on a runway without training or counseling?

Thanks!

twitter.com/ErikP87

24-06-2005
loaded and locked

what is ANTM? on most shoots it the photographer who tells people how to pose... because the photographer is really the only one who looks through the lens and can see how the picture will most likely look... photographers have a special "eye" for this.

also, there are a lot of people (sorry i dont have any names) who are "walking" trainers... such as previous models, etc. who teach girls how to walk. usually when a girl wants to do a fashion show she goes to the casting and they make her walk there... if she can't walk at all they probably won't pick her... so they usually try to practice beforehand. hth~~~

24-06-2005
trendsetter

^ANTM is a TVshow - Americas Next Top Model. And do the girls contact those trainers privatly or does their agency see which girls needs training and then makes arrangements?

24-06-2005
trendsetter

im not a photographer,but i direct models on shoots.....specially cause i have a certain image in my head,but we do variations of that........

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

I'm sure the model is told what the mood of the shoot should be but if she's a great model she knows what kind of shots the photographer is looking for and how to move. I'm sure most photographers at one time or another give the model who doesn't some sort of direction.

24-06-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Ahh thanks for lightening up my thoughts, guys! I've never seen an actual shoot, only those at ANTM, so I just couldn't help but wonder how it was 'for real'.

twitter.com/ErikP87
18-07-2005
etre soi-meme

MrDale,
*models are 'trained' by their agencies or/and by choreographers
*those 'advisors' could be either art directors or just stylists who try to 'direct' the models to the mood of the shoot. photographers also interfeer by 'leading' the model but not on so much stylistic points as on pose, 'mood' and expression.

18-07-2005
Lea
fashion insider

Thanks Lena, it makes more sense now..
about J Alexander, here's a video of him in action, teaching some girls getting ready for Fashion Week

http://www.bthere.tv/story.asp?sid=86

18-07-2005
etre soi-meme

he's like 'choreographing' the models, exactly
each show has a different mood, a different beat/style so models are always having to get 'guided' before doing the catwalk.

18-07-2005
flaunt the imperfection

jay alexander is for real...
it's not made up...
that's how he makes a living...

18-07-2005
backstage pass

So then what exactly is the difference between what a stylist does, and what an art director does? Is it just a matter of having more than one set of ideas?

18-07-2005
etre soi-meme

it all depends on the shoot seraphelle..
from experience,
*art directors are always there in lets say advertisement or commercial shootings.
*art directors can also be present on big time magazine shoots and thats always with a team of stylist&assistands near by..
*for some fashion magazines shootings only stylist & assistand stylist are needed
*some of the 'younger' photographers dont even care for the stylists or even make up artists.. they just get the model 'made up' and they 'lock away' the production team in order to get a more 'intimate' atmosphere and basically to keep stylistic interferance away from the shooting.

see photographers can actually just use the chosen clothes/accessories anyway they feel like creating their very own image but this mainly happens in 'forward/indie magazines' Stylist credits are there but the shoot is been mainly directed by the photographer..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advisors, shoots