How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-03-2011
fashion insider

Just wondering, how much would a top freelance stylist (i.e. Panos Yiapanis, etc) make per year? With editorial work, consulting, etc? Thanks ...

28-03-2011
backstage pass

I'm currenntly studying a Ba in Fashion and Textiles in London and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of stylists i should contact to get a internsip with.

Amour Comme Hiver

I've recently considered starting out in PR... it seems to be a pretty popular starting point for those interested in fashion that aren't born with a large number of connections (Tom Ford, George Kotsiopoulos). It seems to be one of- if not THE- best ways to meet a number of designers, store owners, and photographers; which, of course, is the key to being a successful stylist.

21-04-2011
windowshopping

Help, I need some suggestions!
What do all of you industry ladies wear for shoes when you are working on a shoot?!?

I just got back from a week long athletic clothing shoot. As usual, I was on my feet ALL day and the cement floors in the warehouse were brutal! I really need to get a new pair of comfortable, supportive, and FASHIONABLE shoes to add to my rotation. (Not easy to come by.) I'm out of ideas but willing to invest in a good pair...

Please note:
-I am not a sneakers person. (No athletic sneakers! Of course Converse and Vans are cute but not my style.)
-Ballet flats don't offer enough support.
-Danskos, crocs, uggs, birkenstocks, and anything that looks orthopedic are out of the question.

90% of the time I work in (several different) Loeffler Randall Matilde boots that I have broken in and add gel inserts to. They are a classic style boot that are narrow in the leg and come just below my knee. They have a very small wedge. I've been looking at Prada Driving loafers but want some more ideas.

Fellow wardrobe stylists, what do you think?

(Moderators, please move if in the wrong place.)

21-04-2011
front row

I always have issues dressing for shoots lol -- I usually feel that I should come looking stylish but its not always practical when you're lugging boxes and running around. For shoes tbh I just add insoles to my shoes, usually ballerina flats. I guess Im not being very helpful sorry lol.

22-04-2011
V.I.P.

I wear what is practical ... period.

When I'm on set or on inside locations it's usually ballerina flats for me too, mostly ... or sometimes clogs (yeah, I know they are ugly, but it's more about comfort and saving my back than style for me). Sometimes I wear orthodic insoles inside the flats ... they provide some support.

When I work on paper backgrounds in the studio (a lot), I've got to wear socks of some sort, because I can't step on the paper in shoes or in bare feet (sweat) and I have to have a shoe that I can kick off as I step on the paper. I can't walk around the studio in the socks ... because studio floors can have all sorts of things on them including food, soda, makeup, hairspray and dirt. So, what I have to do is wear thin socks inside my flats or clogs.

For outside location shoots, it's tennies because I am often required to hike up hills, climb up into trees, scramble over fences, get dirty and wet ... and then balance myself precariously while I'm working with the models. Sometimes it's flip flops ... when we shoot at the beach.

Last edited by BetteT; 22-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
08-05-2011
fashion insider

Yesterday i helped a photographer, who's also a friend, do a test shoot with a male model. It's the first time i've ever been to a shoot, even though this wasn't anything commercial or editorial. He asked me to bring clothes in so i fished through what i have at home and brought some basic stuff (all pretty much ungaro/smalto) like jeans, a sweater, button up shirts and leather jackets. My friend told me i was pretty efficient on such short notice and we ended up using everything. (and his pictures turned out great) i wouldn't say i did any styling but i did take care of clothes and makeup, so im pretty happy he let me help.
I was wondering though what kind of clothes i should bring to test shoots like these? I have an other one tomorrow and thought i could maybe try to bring very different looks so the model could try to show off versatility?
(also thanks to everyone in this thread for their advice, it helped me think about what i wanted/needed to bring, even remembered to bring an iron! :p)
Posted via Mobile Device

08-05-2011
V.I.P.

It always depends on the purpose of the shoot. If it's a models test shoot for his or her portfolio, then it's best to find out what kind of looks their agency want's for the model. If you can't contact the agency, I usually call the model and ask them what they were told and I also go on the agency web site to see what types of looks they like. This will give you a starting point and a goal.

Too edgy might not go over well for a beginning model. For a new model, you need some basic looks, that show off their body. So for guys, the agency will usually want one good shot without a shirt ... in jeans or something. It's not about the brands at this point ... it's about getting him to look right for his agency. And you will need at least 4 looks/

So for guys, after I do my homework (above) and look at pics of the guy I'm dressing, I always so a variety, to show him in different types of shots. Something like this:

One shirtless look, with jeans with and without a wifebeater or sometimes sports attire (just the pants, usually) , depending on if he's being groomed for fashion, commercial or fit modeling. Could even be with a towel wrapped around his waist in the bathroom ....
One rugged, casual look ... could be just jeans and boots, could be with a jacket .. maybe a plaid shirt, or a turtleneck sweater... that sort of thing ... depends on where we are shooting it.
One dressy look ... like for clubs, etc, with one funky accessory, maybe.
One specialized look, a bit more edgy with a theme: maybe a country gentleman look, a rocker, an athlete, a geek (but sexy), a spy, Euro trash, anything that's a bit fun and will show off his looks and his personality.

10-05-2011
V.I.P.

Conversation moved from the Canandia Schools thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejammy View Post
Thanks for the reply Ives and Bette.

I know that just doing these courses alone isn't going to turn me into some fabulous stylist overnight, but what I want is to be able to learn the fundamentals of styling. The basic guidelines of creating an eye-pleasing looks, for instance. Knowing what clashes and what looks good together. I know styling is a kind of art form so creativity plays a large role, but you must still first know the rules before you can break them. That's what I want to learn. Are there books, like 'style bibles' that I can pick up to learn exactly this type of stuff?
And I also want to add - I feel talent is basically a bad word in my vocabulary. I firmly believe in the magic of hardwork and persistence in pursuing one's dreams, regardless of whether I lack talent or not (as viewed by outsiders).
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejammy View Post
Are there any entry level jobs that help with getting a stylist career? Even working at a clothing store and getting access to visual merchandising is a good start, right? I don't know...
There are no books that can teach you how to have the "eye" to be a stylist and there are really no rules. I don't know of any books that anyone has ever recommended as being particularily helpful (other than the one I recommend, below) because it's whole lot of things together that make a sucessful stylist. And I don't know any working stylists that started by taking any specific schooling ... most stylists just "fall into it" because of someone they know. That's what happened to me, too.

But you can teach yourself to develop your "eye" by reading everything about fashion, and every fashion magazine that you can get your hands on. Learn about different periods in fashion, learn about the major designers who changed fashion in the past. Then, look at both current and past editorials and see how the stylist created a story ... a theme ... using color, texture, shape, size ... how it blends or contrasts with the location or set. See if they mixed eras, look for where they got their inspiration from, see if they accessorize a lot or it's starkly minimal. With practice you will start to notice these things.

Then, you must actually practice what you are seeing ... and that is what we call testing .... building your portfolio, working with a team who is also testing ... a photographer, makeup artist/hair stylist/ a model (a real one) and you, as the fashion stylist. Then you must learn to ruthlessly edit your portfolio, removing everything except the best shots and the best stories.

The most helpful book about becoming a stylist out there is not about the art or having the eye, at all. It's about how to run your business. Because, stylists are freelance, own their own businesses, and must find every single job that they do. It's Crystal Wright's book which can be found on her site: http://www.crystalwrightlive.com/books-a-dvds.html It's the bible .... and if you are serious, this will teach you what to do to be sucessful. It teaches you how to connect and test to build your portfolio, how market yourself, and lots' of other stuff. It's written for all types of stylists: fashion, hair, makeup ... because the process is pretty much the same for all of us. She does have a section just for fashion stylists. I know that it's the book they use at FIDM for their short stylist's course.

Threads: Books about fashion, many of which will help you learn and develop your eye:
Books About Fashion & Designers - Recommendations ?
Fashion Photography Books - Recommendations

There are other related threads, too ... more in less in the order of what you need to learn and do to become a freelance fashion stylist:

What makes a good fashion stylist?
A Day in the Life of a Fashion Stylist
About Your Portfolio and Testing, for Freelance Stylists, Hair/Makeup Artists etc
Fashion Stylists: Clothes and Connections!
Shooting Stories for a Stylist's /Fashion Editor's Portfolio
Stylist & Photographer: working together
Stylists' Wardrobe Kit and Survival Tips
Wardrobe Care Supply Houses for Retail, Stylists, Stage, Etc
Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself
Stylists, Makeup / Hair Artists, Photographers ... Sending your portfolio to clients
Photographers / Stylists - about rates / fees
Need Information about Getting an Agent / Representation ... for a Stylist

Regarding jobs ... well the best job to learn the biz, is to assist a working stylist but it's rare to find one who needs an assistant. Or intern at a fashion magazine in their fashion department but you have to be in fashion school to do this and be getting credit.

But anything that can develop your "eye" will be helpful, so, yes .... even some retail jobs might be good ... especially if they let you work on displays. Small boutiques are more likely to let you do this than a chain store. Chain stores have visual merchandising departments that make all those decisions so you'd never have the opportunity to do this.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-05-2011 at 10:06 AM.
08-08-2011
windowshopping

Is it necessary for a stylist to have a car? I plan to move to NYC or London within the next two years to pursue freelance journalism and styling. Does it just depend on the city or should I learn to drive and invest in Zipcar?

V.I.P.

You will be lugging around racks of clothes, steamers, bags, suitcases, shoes, and all your equipment, like tables and chairs for location shoots. Not all shoots will be in the city ... some will be out of town, on location ... the beach, the countryside, small towns, the mountains, and lakes, other cities. And sometimes they want you to transport a model or two, as well. So yeah ... a big car is essential.

In L.A., most stylists and hair and makeup artists have SUV's to carry all their stuff. I don't ... but I found a fairly large, 4 door sedan with a huge trunk that opens up all the way across the back seat so I can slide in my folding racks and a 6 foot table (which I actually need from time to time).

Last edited by BetteT; 08-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.
15-08-2011
fashion insider

Thank you (so late) betteT for your last answer! I since then assisted the photographer on an other shooting and styled an other. i was told about it on a saturday for monday, so basically did my best to regroup clothes and sew some. And the day of, was kind of let loose in the deep end of the pool (in a way) had no one to give me advice and had not pre planned outfits really... But i got a hang of it, had a great time and it was just published in an online magazine.
I totally want to do it again, i've been thinking about this concept fornan editorial, but the photographer i know left paris for a few months... Do you guys think it's badly seen if the stylist/photographer is the same person? (im not a professional photographer, but ive been do some on the side and have a good idea of what im looking to capture here) And if not, is it harder to borrow clothes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Andrea.RL; 15-08-2011 at 12:54 PM.
15-08-2011
V.I.P.

Congrats on getting published on line! Must be exciting.

It's rare that a person can be effective as both stylist and photographer ... but it can be done. It just takes a lot of extra time. Because you have to deal with the clothes and also the technical stuff at the same time ... lighting, camera exposures, lenses, that sort of stuff. And, as a photographer, you don't have that "second eye" there to notice the details and to pop in to fix the wardrobe ... and you might miss it as you attention is on other things. It really takes a team to do great work.

I don't know if it's harder to borrow clothes or not. If you have been "commissioned" by a magazine or web site, your pull letter will work. But if you don't have a pull letter and are just doing a "spec" shoot, hoping to get it picked up by a magazine, then you need to impress them with your work as both a photographer and a stylist.

20-08-2011
fashion insider

yes it was! especially since it went really fast

thank you! I didn't even think about the details I would miss taking the pictures. I guess I'll look for a photographer to help me out.

27-08-2011
front row

^What online magazine were you published in, Andrea? We just found out a couple of weeks ago that we are getting published as well! It's my first tears, it's an LA print mag. Exciting, but it's still an uphill battle to get more editorial work.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, fashion, stylist, wardrobe