How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-11-2011
front row

This is the pull letter we're using:
Magazine Logo
Magazine name
address
phone#

November 9th, 2011

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to confirm that fashion director xxxxx has full authority to pull clothing and accessories for use in xxxx Magazine. She will be pulling samples for the cover and editorial shoot, which will be shot November 20th, 2011 in Santa Barbara, CA by
photographer xxxxx. By doing so, xxxxxx Magazine assumes
full responsibility for the safekeeping and prompt return of all items loaned. Furthermore this confirms that all boutiques and/or designers will be fully credited in stories appearing in xxxx Magazine.

xxxx Magazine is a luxury bridal fashion publication, seeking to present brides and grooms with aspirational upscale content.

Please donít hesitate to contact me with any questions/concerns.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx
Editor
xxxxx Magazine
www.url.com
phone #

Quote:
i think you should just go to the store and ask a floor manager who you would speak to regarding borrowing or renting clothes for a photoshoot-plain and simple.

i don't think the people in human resources would have a clue...
they basically just handle stuff like health insurance and vacation days, etc...
they barely know what anyone actually does at the place...
Haha ...yes I'll definitely do this. I can already see the blank stares and "uuuuuh"'s I'm gonna get

10-11-2011
V.I.P.

A pull letter and a letter of responsibility are the same thing. The term "pull" letter is just slang ... because you use it to "pull" from a designer or a store.

10-11-2011
flaunt the imperfection

ok-
i think that letter looks fine basically. the wording is ok.
if anyone has a problem with the language you can always ask them to be more specific about what they need it to say and revise accordingly.

11-11-2011
front row

Ok gotcha; thanks guys. I think the problem was that I titled it "pull letter" and maybe they didnt look at it. I sent them essentially the same thing titled "LOR" and it was fine. (so basically I freaked out over nothing. Oops.)

17-01-2012
windowshopping

Hi everyone, I just had a general question about tear sheets as an assistant stylist.

If you're helping the wardrobe stylist as their assistant, is it proper to use the tear sheets for your own portfolio (noting that you were the assistant)? Thanks in advance!

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

To answer your question: Nope ... plain and simple ... it's a very serious breach of ettiquette in the styling world.

This is why:
It's not your work because it's not your vision, it's not your contacts to get clothes, it's not you making the styling decisions and you are not held responsible for the outcome.

Just list it on your resume that you assisted "Joe Blow, stylist".

17-01-2012
windowshopping

Thanks so much! I'm new to the industry and figured there might be some nuances to this sort of thing. Thanks again!

15-03-2012
windowshopping

How to build relationships with advertising agencies?
Hi everyone,

I wonder if there is any advice out there regarding the best way to approach advertising agencies.

I have been working as a freelance stylist for just over a year now after starting off assisting for a few years. This last year or so I have been very busy testing and building my portfolio but have also had some works published and have produced a couple of look books.

I have recently redesigned my website, printed my work and have a PDF portfolio ready to mail out. I think it's about time I started to distribute it so I can start to make some money from this and build up my client base.

I have a list already of London based agencies but I don't really know what to write!

Is a PDF acceptable to send out? I hope so because i have spent quite a bit of time on it

Thanks in advance!

16-03-2012
V.I.P.

First, I would suggest that you do some more research. If it doesn't already have information on their web site about hiring stylists and their policy about portfolio submissions, you need to contact them and ask.

A lot of larger advertising agencies would have an in house styling staff, so you would need to actually apply for a regular job, if they do.

If they say they use freelance stylists, ask if they will consider a non repped stylist or if they only go through artists reps. If they want to consider non repped stylists, they wil be able to advise you how they want you to submit your portfolio.

If you find that the majority of ad agencies use only repped stylists, then you need to start thinking about getting a rep ... usually a company who reps photographers, stylists and makeup/hair artists.

I don't know about London artists' reps., but in the US, they usually want stylists who have a strong list of existing clients. It's sort of a "catch 22" ... you want a rep so you can find work with their clients, and they want stylists who already are working for clients. It's a tough call whether or no it's even worth it. But for sure ... you have to be actively working before they will want to rep you. However ... if they love your work and you've only just got a few lower end clients they sometimes will put you on the "Assistants" list for thier own stylists to choose from ... and evenually, it can lead to full representation.

11-04-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionrage View Post
Just wondering if there are any other costumers and/or stylists on the board. Would love to network with other stylists across the globe.
Stylist in Texas
Posted via Mobile Device

11-04-2012
fashion insider

Actually FashionRage, there's a special thread for networking here: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...-70162-13.html

(that being said I style a bit in Paris )

V.I.P.

Moderator's Note: Please do your networking in the thread that Andrea pointed you to. Thanks!!

25-04-2012
backstage pass

I was wondering if a stylist for a musician goes with them on tour? Probably not though..

V.I.P.

Only if they hire you to be part of their entourage. But ... mostly, no.

30-09-2012
scenester

Hi guys, a quick question about LORs. Can you give a personal LOR to a showroom if you are not shooting for an editorial? I've been asked to bring one and they are aware the shoot is not being conducted through a mag. What would this type of letter look like? I've tried searching to no avail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, fashion, stylist, wardrobe