How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-06-2005
backstage pass

It is officially my 3rd day being a stylist assistant.

I have much more respect for stylists now. Its freaking hard work. But I'm having fun. Naked models wheeeeeeeeeeee

12-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

mouko...
have you moved to ny?...

12-06-2005
backstage pass

yes, I got here on the 7th

WEATHER SUCCKKKS!! Gimme some san francisco ocean breeze dammit.

20-06-2005
windowshopping

I had a question for the stylists (sorry if this is in the wrong spot- I'm a newbie )- What is the best way for a new designer to get their clothes into a stylist's hands? Is it better to send lookbooks or a sample? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

20-06-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRach
I usually don't borrow shoes because I'm worried about ruining them. Any ideas to keep the insides clean and not get that sweaty model's footprint?
I use a Dr.Scholl's insole or in a quick fix masking tape

21-06-2005
rising star

I'm not exactly a stylist, but I'm a style advisor for Topshop! Great part time job for while I;m a uni, get to dress people up all day, and do visual merchandising, dressing mannequins, etc, tis fun!

22-06-2005
loaded and locked

hey guys... im going to be visiting the states here in about a month and id like to pick up some supplies while i can get them cheaper. one thing on my list is a steamer... although im no expert and have no idea what features are necessary or just usefel or fun etc and which one to get. ive been looking on wardrobesupplies.com and this one looks nice and its not quite as pricey... what do you think?

Quote:
Rowenta Commercial Garment Steamer

Rowenta's New Improved Model Commercial Garment Steamer. Swivel garment hanger adds ease to steaming any garment. Stay cool, soft touch handle for comfortable use throughout jobs. Flexible and strong 5' hose for ease of use. Convenient carry handle allows for mobility throughout any task for easy storage. Removable water tank with 1 gallon capacity allows for easy filling prolonged continuous steam. Auto-off for maximum safety. Easy snap on hose and steam head make disassembly for storage extra easy. Large wheels and front casters provide excellent mobility and stability. Large steam head distributes wide steam for easy wrinkle removal. Sturdy aluminum hanger pole supports any type of garment. Commercially rated product with grounded cord makes steamer safe for home or commercial use. Cord Storage capacity makes storage quick & easy. On-Board Tool capacity allows for easy storage of included accessories when not in use. Foot operated on/off switch with indicator light is quick and easy to use. Removable fabric and upholstery brush attachments open fibers in garment for greater steam penetration. Lint brush removes hair and lint to make fabric look new again.
also, i was contemplating getting a new iron as while i have one, its commercial and not the best, but some of those irons are horrible expensive.. some of the ones over here go up to $500... is a $500 iron really necessary?? thanks~

23-06-2005
V.I.P.

Mishahoi,

Thought I'd pop in here for the first time and answer you questions.

The steamer seems adequate to me ... I like the foot operated on/off switch. It's got everything I want and that is ease of breakdown, rolls easily, is stable and holds at least a gallon of water. The only other feature I have on mine is an automatic retracting cord ... not necessary, but nice at the end of a long day of working a shoot. I never use the other attachments ... don't even know where they are now.

Unless you are ironing 8 hours a day every day ... a commercial iron isn't necessary, in my opinion. A quality household one should do the trick ... under $100. I iron infrequently ... usually only those items that are cotton or linen that don't respond well to steam and sometimes seams, cuffs and collars which sometimes need a little extra punch to make them crisp.

HTH

23-06-2005
loaded and locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
Mishahoi,

Thought I'd pop in here for the first time and answer you questions.

The steamer seems adequate to me ... I like the foot operated on/off switch. It's got everything I want and that is ease of breakdown, rolls easily, is stable and holds at least a gallon of water. The only other feature I have on mine is an automatic retracting cord ... not necessary, but nice at the end of a long day of working a shoot. I never use the other attachments ... don't even know where they are now.

Unless you are ironing 8 hours a day every day ... a commercial iron isn't necessary, in my opinion. A quality household one should do the trick ... under $100. I iron infrequently ... usually only those items that are cotton or linen that don't respond well to steam and sometimes seams, cuffs and collars which sometimes need a little extra punch to make them crisp.

HTH
yes, it helps a lot! thank you very much. may i ask- what steamer do you have? after doing a little more research it seems the jiffy 4000 is the king of all steamers tho...all raves about it... and one can get it reasonably through ebay... ive been thinking about this all day...im getting all twisted up over steamers!

23-06-2005
V.I.P.

Well .... I wanted to save a few bucks, so I went with a household one rather than a commercial one. I assisted a fairly big name stylist and she had this same one and liked it, too so that's what got me thinking about this unit. It's by Conair ... and I found it on sale for $99 (usually about $129, I think) at Sears and that included a small hand steamer, as well. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's still working like a champ. And I use the hand held all the time for quick touch ups ... saves me dragging along the big guy to some shoots. So that was a nice bonus.

As I said about the iron ... unless you are using it all day, everyday ... which I don't ... I don't think a commercial model is necessary. I've used big commercial ones in the studios many times ... they usually have one there for you ... and I don't find that they are better or faster than mine. They might hold up longer ... time will tell.

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
Well .... I wanted to save a few bucks, so I went with a household one rather than a commercial one. I assisted a fairly big name stylist and she had this same one and liked it, too so that's what got me thinking about this unit. It's by Conair ... and I found it on sale for $99 (usually about $129, I think) at Sears and that included a small hand steamer, as well. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's still working like a champ. And I use the hand held all the time for quick touch ups ... saves me dragging along the big guy to some shoots. So that was a nice bonus.

As I said about the iron ... unless you are using it all day, everyday ... which I don't ... I don't think a commercial model is necessary. I've used big commercial ones in the studios many times ... they usually have one there for you ... and I don't find that they are better or faster than mine. They might hold up longer ... time will tell.
I have that ConAir steamer...and I got it from Sears too! It works great! And you're right...the studios usually have a steamer there for you...the industry standard seems to be the Jiffy steamer...it works great too! So it really depends on how much you are willing to spend on a steamer. Bette, nice to have you here at TFS....I've seen you at that other site that no one really frequents (I won't say the same).

24-06-2005

hi bette...welcome to tFS...
i agree with everything you posted....

i have the jiffy myself...but that retractable cord seems like a nice feature...

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks, softgrey and *Happiness* ... I've actually been lurking here for a long time ... usually at the Trends forum ... love to see what others think about where fashion is going ... what everyone likes and hates ... and what's happening on the street. Just now noticed this particular forum. That "other" forum is almost deserted lately ... so I'm glad to network with other stylists, right here!

25-06-2005

i don't know any other forums...
but it's good to get some 'industry' people on what is supposed to be an 'industry' forum...

28-06-2005
Seductress in Eden

do they actually study it... to become a stylist... i just dont think i could ever trust anyone to dress me... i know there are alot of books out on this topic...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe