How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
28-06-2005
  166
loaded and locked
 
mishahoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T-o-k-y-o
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by versace_goddess
do they actually study it... to become a stylist... i just dont think i could ever trust anyone to dress me... i know there are alot of books out on this topic...
you probably wouldnt need to employ a stylist then and to answer your question, yes, people study the art of styling. back when magazines started coordinating outfits and accessories (which actually really wasnt that long ago) people who were models, shopstaff, designers etc usually were the ones who became stylists. now it has become somewhat of a science... i am currently trying to get a certificate in a stylist course at a fashion school

 
 
28-06-2005
  167
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,412
And a lot of working stylists haven't taken any courses ... like myself.

I just fell into it ... a photographer friend of mine who was shooting fashion needed an assistant and then she asked me to style for her. I didn't even know what "styling" was, but she coached me and then sent me out on my own to pull for her shoots. She said I had the eye for it and suggested that I consider working with other photographers, too. So, I started to do some research about this biz and began to test and then work with other photographers .... sort of learned by doing. The way I look at it ... my book will never be done and there's always something new to learn.

There aren't many schools that actually teach styling ... a lot of people come in from fashion merchandising courses but that is more geared to retail marketing than what we do and isn't a lot of help, IMHO. School can give you a kick start but you still have to do the rest yourself.
BTW, personal styling is sort of a secondary market for me (people just starting asking me to help them with their personal wardrobes or for special events) ... I mainly work in print.

 
04-07-2005
  168
front row
 
JATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Gender: femme
Posts: 242
Editing in mind
I am not sure if there is anyone out there in the Fahion Editing field. But that is what I want to become. My ultimate goal is to become the Director of Fashion Marketing for a fashion media like magazine publications: I love Lucky Magazine. I am in college at Chicago right now majoring in communications and taking all Marketing electives...is it best to attend a merchandising school after college? And another important question do I have to move away from Chicago...cuz I love it here...anyone got any info?

 
18-07-2005
  169
backstage pass
 
StyleIsInUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by versace_goddess
do they actually study it... to become a stylist... i just dont think i could ever trust anyone to dress me... i know there are alot of books out on this topic...
versace, if you are talking about famous editorS of famous magazines. NOT. Most famous Anna Wintour stopped learning when she was at age 18. She was working at Harrords and in weekened she was shopping at harrods. She didn't have to worry about money or her job because her daddy was editor of some famous magazine. That's how she got some job ( harpers and queens?) in England.

I don't know how about you guys but I hate her. Yes, I'm little bit jealous because I'm interested on editoring and everything was easy to her( probably her daugher will be editor in chief of teen vogue).But actually (in my opinion) to be good editor you don't have to attend schools, you have to have vissions ideas /... Guys, what school to attend to start editoring career?

 
18-07-2005
  170
backstage pass
 
StyleIsInUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
And a lot of working stylists haven't taken any courses ... like myself.

I just fell into it ... a photographer friend of mine who was shooting fashion needed an assistant and then she asked me to style for her. I didn't even know what "styling" was, but she coached me and then sent me out on my own to pull for her shoots. She said I had the eye for it and suggested that I consider working with other photographers, too. So, I started to do some research about this biz and began to test and then work with other photographers .... sort of learned by doing. The way I look at it ... my book will never be done and there's always something new to learn.

There aren't many schools that actually teach styling ... a lot of people come in from fashion merchandising courses but that is more geared to retail marketing than what we do and isn't a lot of help, IMHO. School can give you a kick start but you still have to do the rest yourself.
BTW, personal styling is sort of a secondary market for me (people just starting asking me to help them with their personal wardrobes or for special events) ... I mainly work in print.
it's great, but are you going to start your career in some magazine?

 
18-07-2005
  171
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by JATE
I am not sure if there is anyone out there in the Fahion Editing field. But that is what I want to become. My ultimate goal is to become the Director of Fashion Marketing for a fashion media like magazine publications: I love Lucky Magazine. I am in college at Chicago right now majoring in communications and taking all Marketing electives...is it best to attend a merchandising school after college? And another important question do I have to move away from Chicago...cuz I love it here...anyone got any info?
well...
ask yourself...are there any magazines based in chicago?...
if not, and you want to work for one...
then you will quite obviously have to move...


there is no such job as director of fashion marketing...
there is a market director...
but it has nothing to do with the marketing aspect of the magazine...
do you want to do advertising sales...?

what do you want to do?...
then maybe i can tell you the actual title of the job you should be going for...


when you guys go to school...
you will learn all of this stuff...it's called an 'education'...
and you do need one...

 
19-07-2005
  172
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleIsInUs
it's great, but are you going to start your career in some magazine?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this question.

To clarify, I was responding to versace godess' inquiry about if stylists actually study "styling".

My career is already established as a freelance stylist who also does some personal consultations, too. The only interest that I have in working for magazines, is to do fashion editorials (on a freelance basis) so that I can get tear sheets. There is very little money in this, but having editorial tears in my book helps me market myself to potential commercial clients and to artist's reps.

Some stylsts end up at magazines as Fashion Editors ... where they are likely to do any or all of these things: Produce, write, and style fashion articles and editorials. At this time, I have no plans to work directly for a magazine in this capacity.

 
19-07-2005
  173
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,746

 
19-07-2005
  174
loaded and locked
 
mishahoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T-o-k-y-o
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleIsInUs
I don't know how about you guys but I hate her. Yes, I'm little bit jealous because I'm interested on editoring and everything was easy to her( probably her daugher will be editor in chief of teen vogue).But actually (in my opinion) to be good editor you don't have to attend schools, you have to have vissions ideas /... Guys, what school to attend to start editoring career?
there are *always* people who just get this stuff handed to them because of excellent connections, and others who envy them for it. instead of hating her, why not get an education, work your way up, and topple her over with a great position? of course, if you were really *that* visionary, you would already be on your way and not wondering where to go next

as for schools, i think this was already mentioned, but how about looking into journalism and fashion marketing classes? in the end, the name of the school doesnt really matter...

 
19-07-2005
  175
backstage pass
 
stilista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 774
I'm a great believer that school doesn't really do much for those interested in pursuing a creative career...creativity can't be taught. The business side of things can of course, but I think it's quite ridiculous that someone can be taught how to "style" Same with fashion design - you can be taught how to sew and draught patterns, but if you have an empty head when it comes to what to make, it's all useless.

 
19-07-2005
  176
loaded and locked
 
mishahoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T-o-k-y-o
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilista
I'm a great believer that school doesn't really do much for those interested in pursuing a creative career...creativity can't be taught. The business side of things can of course, but I think it's quite ridiculous that someone can be taught how to "style" Same with fashion design - you can be taught how to sew and draught patterns, but if you have an empty head when it comes to what to make, it's all useless.
all the school is is a place to make connections though. my school thus far has been completely useless in the way of learning my craft. however, i have already made some invaluable connections which are worth the tuition alone. i think nowadays it is always better to have an education than to try and boot it without...

 
26-07-2005
  177
backstage pass
 
Derin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 859
5 features a good stylist/editor must have?
Can you think of 5 basic things a fashion editor must have while working for a shoot? I'd say;

he/she -must be very easy-going and have good communication skills,
-should know where to shop,
-be extremely organized,
-should spend some time at the book-store and watching movies as well as the shopping mall,
-must be creative and flexible since he/she builds the bridge between designer showrooms and the real life...

 
27-07-2005
  178
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,412
For a Freelance Stylist in additon to the above, I can add 6 more;

1. Good business skills ... for signing contracts, for keeping records and inventories of pulls, for taxes, for dealing with designers and publicists.
2. Good marketing skills ... must constantly promote his/herself to find gigs.
3. Good work ethic .... styling is hard work, physically and mentally and you must show up, on time and work long hours and be happy doing it.
4. Good negotiation skills ... for getting a decent rate on jobs, to get what you want/need and still please others, to deal with difficult models, photographers, AD's etc.
5. Can roll with the punches ... things always change from the plan and a stylist must make it work without any drama.
6. Must learn and practice good set etiquette.

Notice ... I didn't say anything about talent, a good fashion eye, a creative soul, a yearning to work in the fashion biz. That's because all of these are only a SMALL part a becaoming a sucessfull stylist. Without the 6 things, listed above plus the organization thing and the communication thing that Derrin mentioned working for you ... an aspiring freelance stylist won't ever be very successfull, IMHO. You don't make it on talent alone.

 
10-08-2005
  179
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1
Fashion stylist?????????
Im currenlty studying fashion design and am ezploring all the possiblities of the fashion industry. I was just wondering how fashion stylists come to be??????// how do u get started coz im kinda heading in that direction. anyone have any tales of sucessful stylists........ what they did to get started?

xx

 
10-08-2005
  180
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,412
Most stylists don't have formal training ... they get into it through working in the industry or knowing someone. Most are freelance and have to build their contacts.

Go to the Creative Team forums ... sub forum "stylists/editors" and you'll see lots of info about various stylists like Rachel Zoe and sections on getting into styling and stylists kits ... things like that.

 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.