How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-08-2005
windowshopping

hello!

i'm looking for some information about studyng in Uk, i'm curently in Londor, or something like that, and i really want study and work as STYLIST,i'm not English originaly, but i finished studyes for hairdressing and have some practice, i adore this job and want learn much more, but dont know where to go and from where start
is here someone who really would like to help me please with any advices, someone who was thrue this before

16-08-2005
loaded and locked

magazines here pay on a page-per-page basis, and its an average of $120-$150 per page not too bad

21-08-2005
windowshopping

Hi, I am new here. I am currently a student and I just finished my A-levels. I am going to study Art Foundation at central Saint Martins this September. I have always wanted to be a fashion stylist. I am planning to do a degree after Art Foundation, maybe at Central Saint Martin, or Surrey Art and Design School in Epsom. But i don't really want to study fashion design. Whichs best degree to do for to become a fashion stylist? I just found a fashion school whichs called istitutomarangoni in London, it has the perfect course for me whichs called fashion stylist and it is the only course in UK. But the problem is its a private school and the fee are VERY expensive about £6500 per year and the course are 3 years. Is it worth it going there? If any of your know about that fashion school, please tell me about it. I come from low come families, I would have help with paying the fees if i go to university. Is it same with istitutomarangoni fashion school?

Ta Lisanne x

24-08-2005
loaded and locked

so , up until now, i have been working on my portfolio, still taking classes so i didn't expect much... but now i have an offer to do some styling and actually GET PAID! unfortunately, they want MY quote for how much I'd charge and aside from what magazines pay, i really have NO IDEA what to say... it's for a print advertisment... a big shoot.... 13 people in 5 days.... my head is spinning... someone help!

25-08-2005
V.I.P.

If it's a print advertisement ... the going rate for average commercial clients in Los Angeles is $600 to about $1200 a day for set days, and perhaps half that for sourcing, pulling, and breakdown and return days. But it depends on the client and the publication ... it's quite a bit less for inexperienced stylists and if the client is on a budget (read "cheap"). And it can be a lot more for a big national campaign ... way more. But in any event, it's a negoriation ... so don't start so low that they think you aren't worth a good rate, but not so high that they walk away.

I have no idea how to price it in Tokyo.

Editorial work for magazines is totally different and they pay anywhere from free to about $150 a day ... because you need the publicity. Unless you are a star among stylists, then it's a lot more ... you can amost write your own ticket.

With that many people, you should ask for budget for an assistant or two ... usually about $150 a day and you may need them for prep and return days, too, so work that into your estimate. That many people can't be handled alone ... you can be in the dressing area and on set at the same time to keep everything flowing well and to keep the wardrobe looking good in front of the camera.

Good luck! It's a lot to take on for your first gig ... enlist help.

25-08-2005
backstage pass

i have the same sort of querie as stylish_chic... i have heard of institutimarangioni and their course does sound good... its all the same for me as an 'international' they've got me paying up to 11,000 pounds per year

do you need these sort of degrees to get recognised as a stylist? does it distinguish you froma crowd or do employers usually look for good taste/ styling in CV??
also....
is any degree better than none (as in a styling degree at any school) just to have that qualification behind you?
is a university degree required for prestigious magazines or past work/ experince/ connections
soft grey, any thoughts

Last edited by fashionistasista; 25-08-2005 at 03:27 AM.

25-08-2005
windowshopping

i know what you tolking about the prices in Uk is amazingly high,
thats why i'd like to ask if anyone know someone who is working as stylist in hair and make-up industry and can help with some information from where to start....

25-08-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by madame_de_me
hello!

i'm looking for some information about studyng in Uk, i'm curently in Londor, or something like that, and i really want study and work as STYLIST,i'm not English originaly, but i finished studyes for hairdressing and have some practice, i adore this job and want learn much more, but dont know where to go and from where start
is here someone who really would like to help me please with any advices, someone who was thrue this before
this is in the wrong thread....
this thread is not about becoming a HAIR stylist....
it's about FASHION styling...

to all...
all of these questions have been answered over and over...just do a little reading here and you will find your answers and mucch more..

frankly...if you don't have the energy or motivation to even search this site for your answers...then you might as well start thinking about another job, because this is a very competitive industry and you need to be prepared to WORK HARD...!!!>>>...

25-08-2005
Day Dreaming

Thank you Softie..

07-09-2005
windowshopping

Hi guys.

Help please.

How do you take care of shoes during photo shoots, especially the leather ones? Is there a way to avoid creases, or I have to ask the photographer not to make the model do poses that would bend the shoes?

What kind of tape do you put on the soles so that they don't get dirty?

And please give any tips (on taking care of shoes) you can think of.

Thanks. :-)

07-09-2005
etre soi-meme

wide paper tape is doing a great job for soles protection
as for creases, not much you can do..
have the model posing and just add the shoes before the photographer's click

following the shooting, try to stuff the shoes with fabric or paper to avoid the effect of creasing and always keep them in boxes or fabric bags

07-09-2005
V.I.P.

I use blue painter's tape ... it is low tack and comes off without hurting the soles. Gaffers tape works well, too (pro photography stores) ... and it come's in black so it won't show if the model tips her foot up ... but's it's very expensive. I noticed, early on, that shoes with shiny black soles tended to dent, even when taped when there is concrete, stones or other rough surfuaces. So on location, I add, believe it on not, stick-on stair treading which does the trick. It's gray or black ... and comes in rolls and can be cut to shape with strong scissors. Because the adhesive is permanent, you must be sure to use a low tack tape under it or you won't get it off after the shoot.

Lena is right ... there's not much you can do to prevent creases ... just stuff the shoe when not in use or use shoe trees. You really can't ask the photographer not to have her bend her foot ... it would interfere with the flow of the shoot, too much. And I always have the model walk to her position in her own shoes and then hand her the ones we are shooting. I also hand her back her shoes, immediatly after while she is still standing there ... so that she can't walk away in the good shoes.

13-09-2005
windowshopping

Q. for Fashion Stylists
How did you know or what led you to wanting to get into Styling for Fashion? What do you do in your spare time to keep you inspired?

kk

14-09-2005
V.I.P.

I sort of fell into it ... I have a friend who's a fashion photographer and she needed help for her testing projects and taught me the basics. She said I had a good eye and sent me packing to test with other photographers and to start building a portfolio. I discovered that I loved the work and it filled the need I had been feeling for something creative. I had no formal training whatsoever but my strong business background has helped me more that anything ... since I freelance and, therefore, own my own business.

I test frequently when I'm not working paid gigs and the collaborative atmosphere challenges me to see things in new ways ... that's how I get inspired. Of course, I work in L.A. ... not much real fashion here, so the day to day stuff is not very inspiring and pretty commercial ... but it pays the bills. As a result, I have a lot of fun and edgy images from collaborative tests that I can't even put in my portfolio. The commercial clients only want to see that you do their kind of work so having fashion and edgy stuff results in losing to stylists that only show them commercial pics.

14-09-2005
loaded and locked

i've always been interested in object placement ie- scrapbooking, making layouts, interior design, set design, window display, etc... but i just love clothing so much that i've wanted to be a stylist -placing the objects on a body- for quite some time now... i now study styling at a fashion school, although the ONLY real useful thing i've learned all came from test shooting on my own volition.

i get inspired by going to museums, reading books, watching movies, and SLEEPING! i get some of my best ideas when i'm about to go off into lala land...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe