How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-09-2005
etre soi-meme

true on models, cause the agencies just want money, but the models themselves need tests... in anycase, a start-up stylist can always get a deal with an agency and just use 'new faces' building up their books
testing for free is great for newcomers so the agency shouldnt mind too much

on the photographers, if they are just putting their books together, they will seriously have no problem in doing a bunch of unpayed jobs

the trick is to stick a note at photography schools looking for test shots and then get a 'new faces' deal with one or two local agencies.. anyway this how i started putting together my styling book and it sure worked

18-09-2005
windowshopping

Fashion Stylist Legal Issues & Advice
For those of us just breaking into fashion styling, what are the legal issues that we should be aware of?

Thanks!

18-09-2005
etre soi-meme

what legal issues?

18-09-2005
FC5
scenester

Contract law, tax and copyright should be enough get you started. All will have a bearing to some extent, how much depends on exactly what you are doing.

But ultimately, never trust any legal advice given by any anonymous poster on an internet forum

Last edited by FC5; 18-09-2005 at 02:46 PM.

18-09-2005
etre soi-meme

yes, agreed FC5

i will actually merge this topic with our most recent stylist discussion

18-09-2005
windowshopping

Fashion Stylists: Est. a borrowing system w/ stores???
How would I go about establishing a borrowing system with a clothing store?

Because I'm thinking if I walk into a store find something I'd like to use on a shoot, do I ask them what their return policy is first? Or say that I'm a fashion stylist, and regardless of negotiation, they still don't want to let me borrow clothes, can I still purchase the garment and return it for a full refund, even though they know I'm a stylist? ... how do I handle this situation ethically?

Which stores should I attempt to do this, vs. stores I can just go in buy & Return w/o a problem?

Hope these questions makes sense. I'm a little confused myself.

Thanks!

19-09-2005
front row

do you live near a nordstrom? if so they have a lenient return policy. just don't abuse it. I used to work there a long time ago. stylists would come in all the time. oh, and please don't waste the salesperson's time - they work on commission, and it sucks to get those returns.

19-09-2005
backstage pass

what a very good question, stylestalker. i'm curious about that too.

my brain tells me that probably, if the store is a major one like a dept. store, they already have a system in place for that- and if it's a smaller, local store, i'll bet they'd be thrilled to loan you clothes for shoots. i'd just assure them that if the clothes got damaged their full cost would be paid.

19-09-2005
spoilt victorian child

Some stores allow rentals - you pay a percentage of the retail price in order to borrow the clothes for a short time. At one store where I worked I think the rate was 30% of the retail, if the clothes were to be out of the shop for a day or two...somehow I doubt that larger department stores would have similar policies, though....

Last edited by droogist; 19-09-2005 at 03:55 AM.

19-09-2005
windowshopping

not sure where most of you are located, but http://www.craigslist.org is a great resource for finding models who will work for nearly free or photos. you can post for free too. just have them send you photos so you can pick and choose. i don't agree with paying a model for a test shoot, not when so many will work for the experience. model agencies should come wayyyy later in your case StyleStalker. you can also find photographers on that site who will work for trade. one method i use to get most of my models for fashion shows, is to make a few flyers for a Model CAll and take them to the local community college and high school in the area. they will post these for you (for free) on their community boards. i've gotten some of my best girls from this method.

Anna Marie-
"I believe fashion is a canvas for all self expression"

19-09-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
absolutely

Zara is constantly looking for new people to work on their windows or as buyers (i even thought of applying for a buyers position in Zara myself at some point) it could be quite cool working with them
where is Zara located?

Anna Marie-
"I believe fashion is a canvas for all self expression"

19-09-2005
windowshopping

That's how I actually found my first styling gig, on Craigslist. I hooked up with a photographer, pretty much starting out on the same level as me, if not just a smidge more experienced, which is good. We're actually getting ready to do the photoshoot this weekend! ... extremely excited!

Everyone's been such a huge help! I'm sure as the day comes closer, I'll have a whole more slew of questions for you guys hehe

Now to do some shopping!

19-09-2005
windowshopping

Stylist staying organized & focused when hunting for pieces
So today was my first real day shopping for items for the shoot... It went really well, except here's my problem:

The photo shoot's theme has to do with several historical time periods all the way up to modern times, and we're going for about six different looks, using a male and female model.

I have a week to pull all the clothes together.

Where do I begin? I don't have the models' measurements yet, so far I've been buying size 6 & Medium in about everything... and how many pieces should I buy per look? I came home with about 5 similar skirts. How many of the same thing should I buy? Ack! I feel like I need to be more focused and organized when shopping. It would really help if I knew who the models were so I had their measurements (probably not until mid-week). Should I wait until i know, or just go with my gut and use clothes pins and A-Clamps in the end? Thanks

Last edited by StyleStalker; 19-09-2005 at 02:34 PM.

19-09-2005
crossed wires.

Hiya stylestalker, I'm not much of an expert on styling but the historical 'themes' you are going for...are they outright or inspired? If they were outright you're local theatres will usually have historical costumes in wardrobe from past productions etc that you can ususally hire out, (or you could even make refrence to them in you're styling...have them in the background) if you were to say that you're an upcoming stylist i.e in the arts...and pay a deposit that would possibly be refundable if you brought everything back in the same condition, that would perhaps be a way around it. I'm sorry I can't help you on the other questions...perhaps some of our members will have more useful information

19-09-2005
windowshopping

Thanks FFF,
It's going to be relatively inspired, and not outright. But good call on asking local theaters... there will be a few actual costume pieces that I'll need.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe