How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-02-2006
V.I.P.

Is the LCF programme any good ?http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/course...hotography.htm

20-02-2006
rising star

Anyone know of any good fashion schools that offer programs on the business side? (in North America or the UK preferably!!)

20-02-2006
flaunt the imperfection

i think you are better off taking some extra business classes at a different school....
fashion schools aren't know for their business classes...
i suggest somewhere like NYU for some extra classes if you are going to fashion school in NYC....

21-02-2006
rising star

softgrey, can i pm you about schools? i have too many questions for the fourms haha.

22-02-2006
backstage pass

To all the professional stylists out there: I am getting more offers for paid jobs and I'm not sure what to charge! I'm in a smaller market (Phoenix). What are good average day rates to charge for editorial, commercial, etc? And what do I charge for shopping days? Any advice would be appreciated. You can email me directly if you prefer. Thanks!
jessica

webmaster@jessicadell.com

24-02-2006
windowshopping

Becoming....
I'd love to get into fashion styling, but I think it's really about 'who you know' or starting really small on your own and building a portfolio for yourself. Which takes a lot of time, money and most of all dedication. I thought of applying to one of the big stores to start as a personal shopper, but even there you need experience. I know there's books out there on how to 'become' or 'get into' fashion styling, but I don't think I should have to find the answers in a book.

Any thoughts?

25-02-2006
V.I.P.

I don't know why you think that you should not find answers in a book ... if not there, then where? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your statement.

Of course, places like this forum can provide a lot in information if you read everything ... but it's all mixed up, not organized like it would be in a book. My thought is that you must search for information every where and read everything you can get your hands on to learn about this business. And the absolute best way to get up to speed would be to intern with a stylist and then begin assisting several stylists for pay. That kind of experience is really hard to get ... networking is the key.

There is one book you should seriously consider: 'The Hair Makeup & Fashion Styling Career Guide' by Crystal Wright who reps stylists and artists and has been in this biz for a long time. It's written for makeup artists, hair artists, and fashion stylists and it's mostly about the buisness end and how to market youself: networking, building a great protfolio, getting an agent, set ettiquette and ethics ...things like that. Not about the mechanics of styling. It has been used at FIDM in L.A. as their only text book in their fashion styling course. It's hard to find and often not current but it's the best I've found. You can go here and order it from the publisher: http://www.makeuphairandstyling.com/home/

Last edited by BetteT; 25-02-2006 at 06:29 PM.

26-02-2006
loaded and locked

I'm calling out for some help from some experienced stylists.... I have been styling for about a year, but I only work when I have free time inbetween classes and such. While I have some paid gigs, they are all with street label average-sized girls for mags or pro models who are sample size for test shots. I recently was asked by a pretty successful musician here to style for her... I'm not sure if its only for print, or for her performance or CD cover or music video or what.... we have similar style and ideas and she believes in my "eye" to find her ...and design....some great outfits but..... i'm afraid i am completely lacking in experience in this field. i am not an experienced enough seamstress to create something good enough for a big production either. and she's VERY small...not sample at all...think olsen twins... and i don't know if all this stuff will have to made especially for her or what... i know i can figure out something really great for her, but i'm afraid i may fail in execution since i have no idea what the protocol is here. i'm just asking for some direction!! this could be my big break... thankyou guys!!!

09-03-2006
bonjour antlers

I was wondering what you guys think...

There's an ad for "Professional Stylist/Sales" for a MaxMara boutique and it says they're looking for full and part-time stylists "with prior retail sales experience". I worked at Macy's over the Christmas season and I know that's not exactly what they're looking for (and I quit because I haaated working there) but I've always had good style and I know what will and will not look good on a person... and I was going to work there before but it didn't work with my school schedule... but I guess my question is what do you think of MaxMara? If it's a fun place to work then I won't have a problem dressing really nicely and handing in my resume. Althought iin this case I'm pretty sure stylist means sales associate but whatever. I love clothes.

13-03-2006
front row

Stylist
I want to be a stylist after I'm finished with school, so I was wondering if anyone knew any schools or classes not so far from Norway or in Norway?

Or are there other schools/classes that will get you an education so that you are qualified as a stylist?

09-04-2006
rising star

so if i wanted to be a stylist and have a lot of retail experience and have a college degree how do i go about doing so? i live in miami, fl but am hopefully moving out to LA in Ca soon any ideas?

10-04-2006
V.I.P.

I've given my thoughts earlier in this thread if you just go back and read everything, you should find it ... I'm a stylist in L.A. BTW.

10-04-2006
bonjour antlers

You've offered great advice, BetteT. Thanks for taking the time to reply to everyone.

10-04-2006
windowshopping

first styling job! What to do?
Hi!
I would like to ask you some advice:
I work as a scout at a modelagency in Amsterdam.
In the future I would like to be a fashionstylist.
I asked the director of the agency if I can do some styling to get some experience for the future already. A great idea he thinks!
I'm excited !
But now I am a bit confused how to get started. I already know which model I have to style first. And I drew some outfits to show my boss what ideas I have for her. I think he would like it though. I will keep it simple, because it's just a portfolio shoot.

How do you guys get started? And where do you get your shoes haha? Do I have to pay everything myself, or can I charge it with my boss?

I am a bit nervous because it will be my first time!

10-04-2006
windowshopping

great thread btw

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe