How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-05-2006
V.I.P.

Hey ... read the entire thread ... it's all there and lots more!

I don't want to go post it all again .... I'm making' ya do your homework.

02-05-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrzava
I wanted to chime in on the need for good business skills in the field of styling. All of my friends and I who style professionally have a big problem when it comes with negotiating payment. This is not the field to get into if you're strapped for cash as in many cases your client may not pay you until the job is published or until post-production is completed (in the case of some advertising jobs I've done). This makes for some nail-biting adventures come rent time!

Here's a link to an honest post I found from a fellow colleague about waiting on her money.

BetteT, Softgrey and others: How long do you normally wait before a client pays you?
zrzava, to answer your question about pay....first of all get a clear and precise day rate and get that established up front. don't start a job unless you know how much you're getting paid, who is paying you and when you will receive payment.

I have been on both sides of the fence.....when i first started working in this business, I would work directly with producers and directors and the pay was quick but as BetteT stated it wasn't good. Then I moved to assisting this stylist who would pay me directly AFTER they'd gotten paid and that sucked because sometimes they wouldn't do their billing for a long time and I would go a month and a half without payment....that's not cool. Other stylists are very good at paying me so it just depends on the relationship and who you are working with. each situation is going to be different. Now I am working directly with production companies who have payroll handle all of that stuff and i get paid two weeks after the job is wrapped so it's way better.

Z, just make sure your lines of communication are clear and precise when it comes to money. Sometimes the subject can be a little "touchy" but it's nothing personal just business...YOUR BUSINESS!

03-05-2006
V.I.P.

^^ i dont know about stylist .. but generally when paying anyone for a service or goods in business the standered is 28 days

05-05-2006
windowshopping

Art direction
Hi there, i just joined, and this is my very first post!!

I am currently based in Scotland, working as a stylist in a large photographic company. But my ideal job would be working as an art director.

How do you get into this kind of work?

05-05-2006
etre soi-meme

if you dont have any kind of 'specific degree' eg history of art/marketing studies, you just take it from being a stylist and move on through connections to various clients etc

07-05-2006
windowshopping

Dreams of becoming a Stylist
Hey Everyone,

My name is Avah and this is my second post. I was in heaven when I found this site I wasn't sure where to post this so please dont be annoyed. I'm a 21 year old Jamaican female living in Canada and I would love to become a fashion stylist. I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who are in the industry or just have knowledge of the industry in general. I need some guidance as to where to start and how to go about putting together a portfolio. Thanks in advance.

07-05-2006
windowshopping

I aspire to become a Fashion Stylist but am just starting out. I just signed up so haven't taken the time to go through this thread properply but I welcome any feedback. I have my notebook ready. I would appreciate any and all tips on how to get started, put a portfolio together, things I need to know, dos and donts, etc. Thank you.

08-05-2006
etre soi-meme

lesson number one: don't be lazy avah
all that you need to know is already been discussed,
browse back when you have the time

welcome to tFS

08-05-2006
a dim capacity for wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avah
Hey Everyone,

My name is Avah and this is my second post. I was in heaven when I found this site I wasn't sure where to post this so please dont be annoyed. I'm a 21 year old Jamaican female living in Canada and I would love to become a fashion stylist. I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who are in the industry or just have knowledge of the industry in general. I need some guidance as to where to start and how to go about putting together a portfolio. Thanks in advance.
welcome avah, i see you already found this thread ... just wanted to let you know i merged your other post in here, too.
i'm sure you'll find all the information you're looking for provided by others members, good luck

09-05-2006
rising star

Just so you know, don't assume that just becuase you're "styling" a photo shoot you'll be able to borrow whatever designer clothing you want. If you are really interested in becoming a stylist, learn to use what's in your own closet first. (It's all you might have access to for your first several shoots!)

...and if you are hired (or asked to work in exchange for prints) be sure to communicate well with the photographer so he knows if you will or will not be bringing Gucci, etc.

http://stylebites.blogspot.com/2006/...s-not-god.html

09-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrzava
Just so you know, don't assume that just becuase you're "styling" a photo shoot you'll be able to borrow whatever designer clothing you want. If you are really interested in becoming a stylist, learn to use what's in your own closet first. (It's all you might have access to for your first several shoots!)

...and if you are hired (or asked to work in exchange for prints) be sure to communicate well with the photographer so he knows if you will or will not be bringing Gucci, etc.

http://stylebites.blogspot.com/2006/...s-not-god.html
Thanks Zava. U r right. I'll learn to work with what I have. One step at a time.

09-05-2006
windowshopping

what do you have to do to become a stylist
I would like to know exactly what you would have to do to become a stylist I've been searching everywhere and can't find any info on what I'm looking for?

09-05-2006
V.I.P.

For the last 3 of you who don't seem to get it that all the information about how to get started as a stylist .... is already right here in the past pages of this thread (yeah ... it's all mixed up, but pretty much everything you need to know is there).

Or, you can buy this book if you are U.S. based; It's very detailed and is actually used as a textbook at some schools who have a styling course or two. If you can and will do everything that's in there ... you will become a stylist, if you have any talent at all: http://www.makeuphairandstyling.com/home/

Either way ... you will have to read and it will take a lot of effort on your part. I feel strongly that if you can't take the time to do that, then you are not cut out for the extremely hard work, long hours, mega research and selling your services that you must do as a stylist.

10-05-2006
windowshopping

I would love to be a fashion stylist one day. I am still in high school but I am currently looking at colleges. What type of education would be most helpful id I were to pursue styling? Is fashion school necessary? Just because I am not interested in designing. I have heard of many stylist who went to regular liberal arts schools and became stylists later. Does this happen often?

13-05-2006
V.I.P.

I'd love to be a styling assistant for some magazine..do they have any specific requirements for such a job? Anyone has experience, etc. that wants to share would be very appreciated..

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe