How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-04-2008
V.I.P.

That's a bit strange ... size 7 shoes?

I've learned to always call ahead to find out what sizes they have to lend for everything ... so at least if they are too small, I know to look elsewhere.

I learned this after I was told by a desinger that their samples are runway size ... a size 0 or 2 ... when most of the models in L.A. are a 4. But at least these people knew that they were not the typical sample size (for L.A.) and that it could be a problem for a stylist who was not forewarned. So that tipped me off to always ask about sizes, before I even arrange a pull. One Publicist out here who works for many high end lines carries a variety of sizes ... so I love to pull from them because I know I'll have some choices and a better chance to get it right.

18-04-2008
This is the Renaissance

Are you pulling shoes from a shoe showroom or from a clothing one?

I've found that designers often have a selection of shoes that they feel work with their looks - if they don't have their own shoe line, that is. Since those shoes are worn by models, they are usually size 9 or 10.

For shoe designers, they don't like to put large sizes on display. 6.5 and 7 are the sizes they like to show and photograph. Maybe they just forgot that models were going to be wearing them? :p

I always check my (not always accurate) comp cards before a shoot too. Every once in a while I'll have a 5'11" girl with a dainty 7.5 foot!

18-04-2008
flaunt the imperfection

if you got size 7 shoes it's probably because they already lent out all the larger sizes and that is all that was left in the showroom...

not all models are size 9-10 anymore...
lots of the girls are smaller..
*look at kate moss for example...
so the show shoes are mixed....

you need to know what size your model is and then make sure to get the right size (or as close as possible ) when you are requesting from the showrooms...

it happens all the time...
part of the problem is that magazines like vogue take all the good shoes in the good sizes at the beginning of the season and then never return them to use for other shoots of theirs...
this leaves less for everyone else....

*annoying, ain't it!?>...
:p

18-04-2008
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi View Post
Question--!

I am doing my first shoot in Paris for a non-European magazine. It is my first time shooting in Paris and I am pulling from local Press offices and showrooms and I`m a little confused about how things are done there.

--they will send the samples to where I specify, but I have to return them on my own, no?? How do you stylists return them? By messenger? I`m so lost on how to return because I have to have other people do it as I will be off to another city to shoot.

Is it expensive to return by courier in Paris?

I`m excited, but nervous!
got your PM and replied...
hope that clarifies....
have a good trip!

19-04-2008
front row

I came across with this:

http://www.videojug.com/interview/be...ashion-stylist

I don't know if you've seen it or posted it before, but, I thought it could be interesting for you guys!!!

20-04-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
got your PM and replied...
hope that clarifies....
have a good trip!

Really wanted to know how this process works as well, is there anywhere in this thread that discusses this?

21-04-2008
scenester

Thanks BetteT, Cygnenoir, and Softgrey... that clears things up!

Last edited by MsBeej; 21-04-2008 at 11:40 PM.

24-04-2008
V.I.P.

HEY GUYS? I HAVE A QUESTION FOR U

my editor called me in today asking me to do the layout of the shopping pages and editorial

whenever i do a shoot i make sure to send her all the info, as in store names and prices ... right after
today she sat me down in front of a computer and wanted me to type the page heading and shopping info and editorial info .

saying that i should do that too and she s too busy jetting to paris...

does a stylist do that?????

24-04-2008
V.I.P.

Not usually, unless she's a fashion editor for the magazine .... and then she'd probably do both ... write and style.

But ... this might be an opportunity for you, if you have ever wanted to work for a magazine as a fashion editor. If that's the case, I'd say run with it ... and add it to your resume. This could be worth it's weight in gold!!

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

she s the fashion editor but i do all the styling she s never there with me.
i think she just needed help since she had lots to do, but it was more a writer s work that she wanted me to do. and am not interested in that whatsoever.

am not really interested in being a fashion editor either , i do what i do for fun and not for a career or a job that pays the bills.

28-04-2008
scenester

Hi everyone... I have another question for BetteT, Softgrey or anyone else who might know. I'm styling an editorial for a small magazine. They gave me a pull letter but it looks kinda... weird... and I dont know if it will work. It has a letter head, the editors info, but it doesn't have my name or the photographers. It basically says they will be responsible for the samples, yada yada. They've been out for a couple of years so I'm thinking they know what they gave me and it worked for other stylists. Do all pull letters look the same? Do you think it will work??

Last edited by MsBeej; 28-04-2008 at 06:40 PM.

29-04-2008
V.I.P.

i got a pull letter a while ago and it had my name and id number on it. however the editor made some mistakes so i corrected it myself. i also have the freedom to use the mags's computers in case a store wants a certain type of letter with a letter head.
but mine doesnt say anything about the mag being responsible for samples...

30-04-2008
V.I.P.

Sometimes they name the photographer and the stylist in the pull letter, but not always. Saying that they are responsible is really important ... or you could become personally responsible for any loss or damage ... so that is a good thing. I always ask that they put that in there and usually get it.

That pull letter should work fine. I always get a few copies of the magazine for the publicists to see as well ... unless it's a very well known magazine. That prooves that it's a legit, published magazine.

30-04-2008
windowshopping

Costume Design/ Wardrobe styling in Los Angeles question
hello all,
I hope someone can answer some questions. I am a Fashion Stylist from New York and relocated to LA to get in to film and tv. the problem is
1. I come from a runway and music video background I only done one film I was the assistant costume designer for.
2. In LA i find you have to have heavy connections and be in the union to get work in TV and Film. I went to the union they gave me a list of union base costume houses that I must try to get a job with for a least 30 days before getting my union card. That has been sooooooooooooo hard because none of them are hiring. I have been trying for a year to get something anything.
have no idea why I am still here. housing sucks and I don't want to give up. I need help anyone out there with some helpful hints

30-04-2008
V.I.P.

Welcome to tFS, Rich70m!

Wish I could help ... but I will say that things might loosen up soon since the writers' strke had been over for a while, now. It affected every aspect of the industry and everyone was laying people off last winter and then they just hired back the people they laid off so that's why no one has been hiring in the last 8 months or so. Your timing was bad .... but I would think that they are doing fall shows now, since we are finally seeing some new shows being aired. So there's hope going forward ...

And yes ... it is who you know. There probably are some openings, but friends and family usually get the jobs before anything is published to the general public. That's always how it's been in L.A. And that is why I don't work in films or TV ... I don't have the connections.

The main advice I can give is find a way to make friends in the industry ... even related crafts like transportation, set building, anything, since these people all know each other. But I sure don't know how to do that. Maybe you can find out where they hang out or something ... and make friends everywhere you go. Sometimes all you need is a referral from someone who knows someone in a position to hire.

One other thing ... is there a possibility to use your connections in NY to further your experience for getting your card? Or do you know anyone there who might know someone here? A lot of productions are bi-coastal and people move back and forth.

I feel your pain ...I know that it's extremely competitive.

Last edited by BetteT; 30-04-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe