How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
04-11-2004
  76
trendsetter
 
Xone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 10:10 PM
i live in nyc...

are you going to hire me?...
it sounds like and interview...
[snapback]418410[/snapback]
im sorry for so many question........

__________________
xone
http://eldiariodeunstylist.blogspot.com
 
 
04-11-2004
  77
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,903
...it's no problem...let's just keep the questions more about styling and less about me..ok?...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
04-11-2004
  78
trendsetter
 
Xone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 10:22 PM
...it's no problem...let's just keep the questions more about styling and less about me..ok?...
[snapback]418426[/snapback]
ok but i didnt ask anything personal......just where u work that´s all......anyway sorry if u felt uncomfortable...

__________________
xone
http://eldiariodeunstylist.blogspot.com
 
04-11-2004
  79
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,903
any question that is about me is obviously personal...so let's just make the questions more general...ok?...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
05-11-2004
  80
I love model_mom!
 
Sloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,388
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 09:24 PM
my best editorial is ...in my opinion...something that did not get published...

it was my apocolyptic joan of arc story...

shot in an industrial toxic waste site on a riverbank in NJ...
i tore and distressed a lot of the clothes and mixed vintage and designer and had an amazing model who really looked like jaon of arc (jade parfitt) http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/trade_...ner.asp?tsID=1 ... used the galliano neswprint leggings...all the clothes were to look like they had been through a nuclear holocaust...and that she had just found them and put them on...
it wasn't really about the experience that time...it was really about the pictures...the idea was all mine and i directed the whole thing...so the pictures had been in my head for years...it was just good to finally be able to hold them in my hands... they are still my favourites and what i am most proud of...very close to my heart...she looks very heroic..like a warrior...'bring on the revolution'...

the magazine didn't publish them because they said they were too 'strong' for them...i had her face all smudged...rags tied in her hair (which was long at the time)...and i think that's what put it over the edge for them...it was a pretty mainstream mag...spanish harper's bazaar...

so that's the process ... i come up with an idea...and then i find the clothes to make it happen and the right photographer to shoot it...i have a bunch of story ideas that i go to when i need one...i don't really do 'trend' stories...

and yes...i have met many "names"... but i don't like to name drop or gossip... one thing i can tell you is that they are all just people...some nice...some not so nice...and you can tell a lot about a photographer or stylist/editor by looking at their work...


[snapback]418332[/snapback]
softgrey -
Sounds amazing! I envy you so much. You are doing something that I have always wanted to do, but never followed it. More of a dream, I guess.

__________________
“We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken.”
 
05-11-2004
  81
V.I.P.
 
faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 09:24 PM
my best editorial is ...in my opinion...something that did not get published...

it was my apocolyptic joan of arc story...

shot in an industrial toxic waste site on a riverbank in NJ...
i tore and distressed a lot of the clothes and mixed vintage and designer and had an amazing model who really looked like jaon of arc (jade parfitt) http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/trade_...ner.asp?tsID=1 ... used the galliano neswprint leggings...all the clothes were to look like they had been through a nuclear holocaust...and that she had just found them and put them on...
it wasn't really about the experience that time...it was really about the pictures...the idea was all mine and i directed the whole thing...so the pictures had been in my head for years...it was just good to finally be able to hold them in my hands... they are still my favourites and what i am most proud of...very close to my heart...she looks very heroic..like a warrior...'bring on the revolution'...

the magazine didn't publish them because they said they were too 'strong' for them...i had her face all smudged...rags tied in her hair (which was long at the time)...and i think that's what put it over the edge for them...it was a pretty mainstream mag...spanish harper's bazaar...

so that's the process ... i come up with an idea...and then i find the clothes to make it happen and the right photographer to shoot it...i have a bunch of story ideas that i go to when i need one...i don't really do 'trend' stories...

and yes...i have met many "names"... but i don't like to name drop or gossip... one thing i can tell you is that they are all just people...some nice...some not so nice...and you can tell a lot about a photographer or stylist/editor by looking at their work...


[snapback]418332[/snapback]
WHAT?! And you never showed them to me?!?!?! That sounds fantastic!

 
05-11-2004
  82
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,903
thanks sloan... it's also a lot of hard work and very competetive... but i am definitely living my dream...

faust ...i will be happy to show you anytime...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
05-11-2004
  83
V.I.P.
 
faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 5 2004, 01:13 PM
thanks sloan... it's also a lot of hard work and very competetive... but i am definitely living my dream...

faust ...i will be happy to show you anytime...
[snapback]419124[/snapback]
cool

 
17-04-2005
  84
V.I.P.
 
travolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,595
i stumbled upon nicola formichetti a while back on www.clmuk.com and was smitten.
here is some of her work..















__________________
"the way a problem is set up often suggests the resolution."
http://michelleboxgirl.blogspot.com/
 
17-04-2005
  85
V.I.P.
 
travolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,595




....





__________________
"the way a problem is set up often suggests the resolution."
http://michelleboxgirl.blogspot.com/
 
17-04-2005
  86
etre soi-meme
 
Lena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 23,965
very talented and original..
love the second set of photos even more than the first you posted

thanks again travolta

 
17-04-2005
  87
V.I.P.
 
travolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,595
yep, no problem lena

__________________
"the way a problem is set up often suggests the resolution."
http://michelleboxgirl.blogspot.com/
 
17-04-2005
  88
V.I.P.
 
travolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,595
whoops. sorry nicola is male.

Biography
Nicola Formichetti is Senior Fashion Editor of Dazed and Confused Magazine. Born in Japan in 1977 to Italian and Japanese parents he grew up between the two countries. Initially studying music and architecture, he moved to London at the age of twenty-one and started at the successful boutique, 'The Pineal Eye' and went on to become both its art director and head buyer for a two year period. Out of this experience came a move into styling which in turn led a core role in the creation of magazines Dazed & Confused and Another Magazine. He is also a contributor to punlications such as V magazine, V Men, 10 magazine, Numero Homme and Mixt(e) as well as publications in Japan. Formichetti and designer Kim Jones have a close working relationship consulting on Kim Jones projects from shows to collections and outside ventures. Other brands that he has collaborated and consulted with include TopMan, D&G, H&M, and Stussy. He has ongoing
collabrative relationship with photographers Laurence Passera, Laurie Bartley, Magnus Unnar, Benjamin Alexander Huseby and Toyin. Formachetti has started a new shop venture in Japan, intended to introduce new designers, previously unavailable to the Japanese market, alongside a gallery space showcasing photographers and artists.

from showstudio.

this spread is really good

__________________
"the way a problem is set up often suggests the resolution."
http://michelleboxgirl.blogspot.com/

Last edited by travolta; 17-04-2005 at 05:39 AM.
 
17-04-2005
  89
V.I.P.
 
TheSoCalledPrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,307
interesting story, tott... i love this thread

 
17-04-2005
  90
front row
 
eastendsnob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Gender: femme
Posts: 402
Great thread. Thank you to everyone who's contributed to it.

I've been thinking about attending fashion marketing & merchandising school. It's just crazy expensive (I could have a university degree and then some for the cost! or a couple cars to haul stylist needs around...) and since I'm not really 100% positive on what I want to do in the biz (marketing/buying/styling) I guess it might be the right way to go to figure that all out.

But the stories here are pushing me more towards styling for sure..

 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.