How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-11-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 10:10 PM
i live in nyc...

are you going to hire me?...
it sounds like and interview...
[snapback]418410[/snapback]
im sorry for so many question........

04-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

...it's no problem...let's just keep the questions more about styling and less about me..ok?...

04-11-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 10:22 PM
...it's no problem...let's just keep the questions more about styling and less about me..ok?...
[snapback]418426[/snapback]
ok but i didnt ask anything personal......just where u work that´s all......anyway sorry if u felt uncomfortable...

04-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

any question that is about me is obviously personal...so let's just make the questions more general...ok?...

05-11-2004
I love model_mom!

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 09:24 PM
my best editorial is ...in my opinion...something that did not get published...

it was my apocolyptic joan of arc story...

shot in an industrial toxic waste site on a riverbank in NJ...
i tore and distressed a lot of the clothes and mixed vintage and designer and had an amazing model who really looked like jaon of arc (jade parfitt) http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/trade_...ner.asp?tsID=1 ... used the galliano neswprint leggings...all the clothes were to look like they had been through a nuclear holocaust...and that she had just found them and put them on...
it wasn't really about the experience that time...it was really about the pictures...the idea was all mine and i directed the whole thing...so the pictures had been in my head for years...it was just good to finally be able to hold them in my hands... they are still my favourites and what i am most proud of...very close to my heart...she looks very heroic..like a warrior...'bring on the revolution'...

the magazine didn't publish them because they said they were too 'strong' for them...i had her face all smudged...rags tied in her hair (which was long at the time)...and i think that's what put it over the edge for them...it was a pretty mainstream mag...spanish harper's bazaar...

so that's the process ... i come up with an idea...and then i find the clothes to make it happen and the right photographer to shoot it...i have a bunch of story ideas that i go to when i need one...i don't really do 'trend' stories...

and yes...i have met many "names"... but i don't like to name drop or gossip... one thing i can tell you is that they are all just people...some nice...some not so nice...and you can tell a lot about a photographer or stylist/editor by looking at their work...

[snapback]418332[/snapback]
softgrey -
Sounds amazing! I envy you so much. You are doing something that I have always wanted to do, but never followed it. More of a dream, I guess.

05-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 09:24 PM
my best editorial is ...in my opinion...something that did not get published...

it was my apocolyptic joan of arc story...

shot in an industrial toxic waste site on a riverbank in NJ...
i tore and distressed a lot of the clothes and mixed vintage and designer and had an amazing model who really looked like jaon of arc (jade parfitt) http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/trade_...ner.asp?tsID=1 ... used the galliano neswprint leggings...all the clothes were to look like they had been through a nuclear holocaust...and that she had just found them and put them on...
it wasn't really about the experience that time...it was really about the pictures...the idea was all mine and i directed the whole thing...so the pictures had been in my head for years...it was just good to finally be able to hold them in my hands... they are still my favourites and what i am most proud of...very close to my heart...she looks very heroic..like a warrior...'bring on the revolution'...

the magazine didn't publish them because they said they were too 'strong' for them...i had her face all smudged...rags tied in her hair (which was long at the time)...and i think that's what put it over the edge for them...it was a pretty mainstream mag...spanish harper's bazaar...

so that's the process ... i come up with an idea...and then i find the clothes to make it happen and the right photographer to shoot it...i have a bunch of story ideas that i go to when i need one...i don't really do 'trend' stories...

and yes...i have met many "names"... but i don't like to name drop or gossip... one thing i can tell you is that they are all just people...some nice...some not so nice...and you can tell a lot about a photographer or stylist/editor by looking at their work...

[snapback]418332[/snapback]
WHAT?! And you never showed them to me?!?!?! That sounds fantastic!

05-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

thanks sloan... it's also a lot of hard work and very competetive... but i am definitely living my dream...

faust ...i will be happy to show you anytime...

05-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 5 2004, 01:13 PM
thanks sloan... it's also a lot of hard work and very competetive... but i am definitely living my dream...

faust ...i will be happy to show you anytime...
[snapback]419124[/snapback]
cool

17-04-2005
V.I.P.

i stumbled upon nicola formichetti a while back on www.clmuk.com and was smitten.
here is some of her work..

17-04-2005
V.I.P.

17-04-2005
etre soi-meme

very talented and original..
love the second set of photos even more than the first you posted

thanks again travolta

17-04-2005
V.I.P.

yep, no problem lena

17-04-2005
V.I.P.

whoops. sorry nicola is male.

Biography
Nicola Formichetti is Senior Fashion Editor of Dazed and Confused Magazine. Born in Japan in 1977 to Italian and Japanese parents he grew up between the two countries. Initially studying music and architecture, he moved to London at the age of twenty-one and started at the successful boutique, 'The Pineal Eye' and went on to become both its art director and head buyer for a two year period. Out of this experience came a move into styling which in turn led a core role in the creation of magazines Dazed & Confused and Another Magazine. He is also a contributor to punlications such as V magazine, V Men, 10 magazine, Numero Homme and Mixt(e) as well as publications in Japan. Formichetti and designer Kim Jones have a close working relationship consulting on Kim Jones projects from shows to collections and outside ventures. Other brands that he has collaborated and consulted with include TopMan, D&G, H&M, and Stussy. He has ongoing
collabrative relationship with photographers Laurence Passera, Laurie Bartley, Magnus Unnar, Benjamin Alexander Huseby and Toyin. Formachetti has started a new shop venture in Japan, intended to introduce new designers, previously unavailable to the Japanese market, alongside a gallery space showcasing photographers and artists.

from showstudio.

this spread is really good

Last edited by travolta; 17-04-2005 at 05:39 AM.

17-04-2005
V.I.P.

interesting story, tott... i love this thread

17-04-2005
front row

Great thread. Thank you to everyone who's contributed to it.

I've been thinking about attending fashion marketing & merchandising school. It's just crazy expensive (I could have a university degree and then some for the cost! or a couple cars to haul stylist needs around...) and since I'm not really 100% positive on what I want to do in the biz (marketing/buying/styling) I guess it might be the right way to go to figure that all out.

But the stories here are pushing me more towards styling for sure..

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe