How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-10-2008
backstage pass

im seriously considering setting up my own portfolio but i'd need to get in contact with a few people i worked with a few years ago... mmm

03-10-2008
front row

What is a spec? Is it a photoshoot that may be submitted to a magazine?

03-10-2008
V.I.P.

Exactly!

05-10-2008
windowshopping

Hey!
My names Fab,Im from Buenos Aires and I work as a freelance fashion stylist for a couple of local mags and I have also been working for some time now for a french online magazine (am I allowed to write names?) I really love my job but Im not getting payed whatsoever! Right now my parents are supporting me but soon Ill be moving to the LA area, and I need to get a real styling job! Do you happend to know any established stylists based in LA or any of those agencies I heard about? Any help would be reaaally appreciated! thanks!!

05-10-2008
V.I.P.

Fab ... Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Here's an old thread that you might find helpful about artists agencies in the U.S. . I found it when I did an advanced search of the Careers forum, keywords = agencies, agency:
Stylist Agency Information?

And this one in Behind the Lens:
Agencies who represent stylists

And then there are these that you might find helpful, as a beginning stylist:
Where do stylists get the clothes?
Stylists' Wardrobe Kit and Survival Tips
Shooting Stories for a Stylist's /Fashion Editor's Portfolio
Stylist & Photographer: working together
Stylists, Makeup / Hair Artists, Photographers ... Sending your portfolio to clients
Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself
Photographers / Stylists - about rates / fees

Last edited by BetteT; 05-10-2008 at 10:39 PM.

07-10-2008
windowshopping

hey Bette, thanks a lot!
this is definetely helpful!!

now, heres the question: should i go to NYC instead of LA to start my career? Im only 21 and never lived in the US before... i thought LA was better cause i thought it was easier to "fit in" at first, but now Im starting to consider NY since its much more of a fashion capital , right? Do you think NY would eat me alive? Am I too young?

07-10-2008
V.I.P.

NY and LA are both very expensive cities to live in. NY tops everything in the states. L.A. is less expensive, but still costs way more than most cities in the U.S. But ... NY is the fashion capital and it's where the big designers are, where the fashion magazines are and so on. It's also where every fashion student, aspiring desinger, aspiring stylist usually end up ... so it's highly competitive.. L.A. has a bit of fashion ... and there is work here ... but it's jeans and celebrity gowns ... and not much else. Actually, there's a lot of underground designers here (who don't hire stylists ... no money) ... and lot's of casual sportswear designers and manufacturers, too ... but it's not high fashion at all. There is less work ... and fewer stylists ... but it's pretty competitive, too. They will both eat you alive ... just in different ways. You have to have guts and stamina to be a stylist.

It takes years to start a fashion styling career ... to the point that you are getting paid decently ... so you will have to support yourself in a way that allows you to workwhile you build your business ... a job with extremely flexible hours. You will need a work permit or a permanent visa to live and work in the US... especially since you will need a real job to pay rent and buy food. So that should be you first priority ... figuring out how you can get here and then how you can support yourself ... while you start the long climb into building a business that will support you.

09-10-2008
windowshopping

okay, so thats pretty scary!
i kind of expected it would be something like that...
should i first try to "make it" here in argentina and then if Im ready, go to NY? or is it better to just jump to NY and build my career from scratch there?... I know these are big questions, but its great to know what the real deal is over there!

09-10-2008
V.I.P.

That's a tough one ... I don't know if making it in Argentina would help you make it in NY or not. I suppose it would work if you become world famous ...

09-10-2008
windowshopping

i know!... it really is though!
thanks for all the help Bette, youre a doll!!
ill let you know as soon as I make up my mind!

10-10-2008
backstage pass

what if you enter through a different industry instead of aiming for the top straight-away?

11-10-2008
windowshopping

hi!!!!
what do you mean by a "different industry"??

11-10-2008
backstage pass

hehe quiero decir, entrar por otros medios, como la televisin.. el teatro.. pero por lo visto en tu flickr, ya has tenido suerte en trabajando con editoriales.

What about Vogue Brazil? or Cosas? I can't remember all the magazines I saw in Chile but those were ones that stood out...

*translation: Entering the industry through other means, like TV, the theatre, but from thel ooks of cream_soda's flickr she's done well for herself and already scored some major editorial shoots in Argentina...

Also I suggested other related industry because you always end up meeting huge contacts that can help you out later, for example I made a really good friend by doing work experience at a Men's fashion magazine, when I'm purely interested in women's fashion.

11-10-2008
windowshopping

oh!! yeah, actually ive actually been looking for a job in the film industry, music videos, TV commercials and stuff, but most of them didnt even reply, and some of them said i MUST have some experience besides fashion!... so... ill keep on looking!
i actually have been doing good here in editorials, but they dont pay AT ALL, so a job in some other industry related to fashion would be perfect!!!!!
gracias elegantly!!!!

13-11-2008
V.I.P.

i've heard consulting was (now ?) forbidden for any conde nast editors ...
is that true ?! is it only in france ?! is it only for editors in chief ? or any fashion editors ?
anyone ? any idea ?

is going to the VERY private preview shows would be still considered consulting ?

ok that's not the topic here. but ....

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe