How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-04-2005
trendsetter

Interesting thread. I kinda feel outta place here. I'm an Image Consultant, which is now recognised as a fashion stylist. I work with very real people, i do colour analysis, which identifies the colours that work in harmony with ones own colouring(eyes,hair,skintone). I also offer wardrobe styling, personal shopping and apply makeup, as well as teaching the client how to put on makeup. The kinds of clients i have dealt with ranged from a footballer to women who have had a significant change in their lives (recovery from illness, reaching 40) or work environment.

It is definitely hard work, fortunately, i have had very good clients, who had the right idea, as to what colours suited them, but just needed confirmation. Clients recieve a little wallet with all their colours after the consultation is finished. This makes shopping much easier and quicker. The kind of fees i would charge depends on the services being requested. I know other stylists charge between £90 -£150 ph for a colour consultation, or offer packagesat a discounted rate. The work is enjoyable, but isnt constant.

I loved fashion as a child, and loved dressing up, changing up clothing, mixing different pieces. I trained with First Impression in Milton Keynes, was expensive, but well worth it for something i feel passionate about.

21-04-2005
windowshopping

will it work
hi im new as well. sup? ok i came across this whole thing like an hour ago in my school library when i googled "nylon stylists" ( i fould a forum on here talking about that) but...i was trying to find names of stylists that work in Nylon mag so i could practically stock them, get ahold of them, and beg them for an internship. you all seem to have alot of knowledge on this subject so i wanted to see what you think. is this at all remotely possible? do i have a glimmer of hope? i was thinking i could just try it no matter what and be bold and outgoing and let nothing stop my dream of having a successful career in the fash buis, but u know i thought id get your advice first...

xoxolove an aspiring fashion studendxoxoxo

25-04-2005
backstage pass

[QUOTE=softgrey]we really don't borrow from boutiques in ny...it's more of a rental situaton or if it's for an ad you shop...for tests it's usually buy and return...or using your own stuff...or you'd try to start a relationship with a showroom and see if they'll lend you stuff...[QUOTE]

Softgrey, sorry If im gonna sound nosy, but this is really an amazing topic, so the process is you buy and return all the clothes you have interest in using in an editorial then return... and afterwards the stores/labels borrow the pieces you choose for bring to the photo shoot? I may sound stupid but seems like a two very hard-working steps. or I understood "test" completely wrong?
thanks

26-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

um...no..fashionyork...
an 'editorial' is a shoot for a magazine...and you must borrow clothing from designer showrooms for that....
a 'test' is personal work done for your own portfolio...and in that case...designers generally will not lend you clothing (unless you have special contacts)..so then you must purchase the items for the shoot and then return them to the store afterwards...
of course, you could also use your own personal pieces if you choose...

hope this clears it up...

26-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ead.php?t=1885

this is an older thread ...also has some interesting info..

26-04-2005
etre soi-meme

merged the two 'stylists' topics in one

how strange that in NY one cannot borrow clothes for tests ...
here most of the local designers co-operate with the stylists,
even for test cause at the end, all come up with free shots
(the model and the designer, see the stylists are gtting payed by
either from the agency or straight from the model )

ahhh i miss my styling days

26-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

well...we don't have a lot of small 'local' designers...and you know that what you'd really want to borrow is something like prada or whatever...because that's what you need in your book...but those samples are at vogue or W or whatever...

not only are all the american mags shooting here...but also most of the international ones as well because so many of the best girls are based here ...so there's a lot of demand for samples...

agencies don't pay for shoots...and if a model has to pay for a test...then she is not a very good model...if the girl is good...she will get free shots...

like i said...if you have a special relationship it's possible to get 'favours'...
it's just very competetive here...even the boutiques don't want to lend clothes...only 'rent'...20% fee.......it's really a pain...and a lot of work...

26-04-2005
etre soi-meme

ohh i see, its a different system of course..
agencies pay for the tests here and then they take it back from model's jobs ..
and all models reaching Athens they just have to have new photos, so stylists always make some money out of testing (in testing they actually use Prada etc cause its easy to do)

i style & photograph my lookbooks alone, just me and the model
been saving myself some serious money

26-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

sounds like fun lena...

maybe we'll even get to see some of it one of these days......

26-04-2005
etre soi-meme

yes, i know one of these days
(.. putting the site together at the moment)

26-04-2005
backstage pass

Hi softgrey,
Ok my question sound completely amateur. Oh well, lol... I just thought "test" as something different, didnt know you use the word as a kind of should i say stylist's portifolio? Anyways, that's very nice of you to answer

I want see this website Lena when its done!

How about you softgrey?

26-04-2005
etre soi-meme

fashionyork, attempting to make the test shoots clear :
*shooting for the book of a model / photographer / stylist /make up artist or hair stylist
*whole team might work together 'for free' while testing/experimenting for -possible- covers or editorials which -if they are good enough- could be sold to magazines.

and i'm promising to put up the made4now website asap

Last edited by Lena; 26-04-2005 at 03:27 PM.

26-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionyork
Hi softgrey,
Ok my question sound completely amateur. Oh well, lol... I just thought "test" as something different, didnt know you use the word as a kind of should i say stylist's portifolio? Anyways, that's very nice of you to answer

How about you softgrey?
fashionyork...that's the whole point and purpose of this thread...to give information to people ...so your question is perfectly fine and good...

maybe lena's post made it more clear about what a 'test' is...?...

i don't really have any images scanned from my portfolio and don't have a website...every now and then i post a little something if i have it...

26-04-2005
front row

I can't believe I missed out on the beginning of this thread. I'm a stylist in Toronto and Montreal, and before you jump the gun and make it your life long mission to become a stylist, why don't you try to assist a stylist first. It's crazy and tiring, and tonnes of bullshit gets sent your way. Plus you have alot of cash pulls on your card, and you get calls at ten o'clock at night, when the stores are all closed, and you've done all your returns, and a photographer asks if you can do a last minute shoot in the morning at 8. Models (although they're not supposed to) sneak off and smoke/eat/drink and inevitably spill things on your cash pulls. Magazines don't pay, and the paying jobs are usually boring.

If this sounds like **** to you, than maybe styling is not for you!! But if you can deal with that, than the rewards are awsome.

Personally, I didn't go to school for fashion. I started as a model and then tagged along with this awsome stylist named Shea in Toronto, and I totally wanted to do it! The toughest part I'd have to say is getting 'in' with a photographer, and finding a team you really click with. I happened to be lucky and knew alot of photographers from modelling, and my agency helped me out a bit too. In Toronto and Montreal, the models do pay for tests (and we call the free stuff a creative), only because toronto is a commercial market and none of us want to do that for free. So it's three looks per model at a hundred dollars a head, and you can book like three a day. But commercials pay really well too, and so do corporate gigs like working for the ads for Banks or publicity and stuff.

I have a few clients who use me as a wardrobe consultant too. They're mostly professionals who realize they need to look a certain way, for example more authoritative. I get mine to sign a contract that says they've gotta accept my advice, or else it's pretty pointless to have me around.

27-04-2005
backstage pass

What are the non-fun-bu-money jobs?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe