How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-04-2005
backstage pass

^^^ For me, the not-fun-but-money jobs are mainly the advertising jobs, the ones that involve sitting round in a board room with 18 creative directors, each with their own opinion on how the shoot should go, but none of them can agree. Or the CD covers when you have to deal with a band, their PR, their manager etc. all with their idea of how it should look, but none of them can come to any agreement, or even show examples of what they envisage.

I do quite a few money jobs that are actually really fantastic and I love everyone involved to bits. It's the ones for the big international corporations that really suck. Lots of $$$ but not really enough for the stress that goes with it.

The best jobs are usually the editorial shoots where you love the team and you all work fantastically well together. I'd stay on those shoots until dawn if I had to, I enjoy it so much. It's all about being on a team with amazing people who are great at their jobs, and who are on the same wavelength as you. Nothing beats it, it's why I do it!

The worst bit is probably getting home at 10pm, exhausted with the suitcases, the hanging bags, carrier bags, and having to sort through everything to return the next day. The make-up artist & photographer can do another job, or stay in bed until lunchtime, but the stylist is out pounding the streets again at 9am with all the returns. (suppose this is what assistants are for, but I can't be bothered with them )

27-04-2005
front row

Hahaha to the T stilista. I agree the big advertising jobs are the worst, because they sometimes treat you like ****. I looooove the editorial jobs too, even doing tests is fun. But nothing is worst than working with a photographer who's vibe is all crap!

29-04-2005
loaded and locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
my best editorial is ...in my opinion...something that did not get published...

it was my apocolyptic joan of arc story...

shot in an industrial toxic waste site on a riverbank in NJ...
i tore and distressed a lot of the clothes and mixed vintage and designer and had an amazing model who really looked like jaon of arc (jade parfitt) http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/trade_...ner.asp?tsID=1 ... used the galliano neswprint leggings...all the clothes were to look like they had been through a nuclear holocaust...and that she had just found them and put them on...
it wasn't really about the experience that time...it was really about the pictures...the idea was all mine and i directed the whole thing...so the pictures had been in my head for years...it was just good to finally be able to hold them in my hands... they are still my favourites and what i am most proud of...very close to my heart...she looks very heroic..like a warrior...'bring on the revolution'...

the magazine didn't publish them because they said they were too 'strong' for them...i had her face all smudged...rags tied in her hair (which was long at the time)...and i think that's what put it over the edge for them...it was a pretty mainstream mag...spanish harper's bazaar...

so that's the process ... i come up with an idea...and then i find the clothes to make it happen and the right photographer to shoot it...i have a bunch of story ideas that i go to when i need one...i don't really do 'trend' stories...

and yes...i have met many "names"... but i don't like to name drop or gossip... one thing i can tell you is that they are all just people...some nice...some not so nice...and you can tell a lot about a photographer or stylist/editor by looking at their work...

wow, that sounds completely amazing, softgrey- may i ask when it was shot? it seems it may be fitting for our current times- i imagine seeing it in W or something.

also, i am currently studying in the sylist course at bunka fashion college in tokyo and people often ask me what type of styling i am interested in. i tell them; personal, editorial, and collection. i thought you mentioned you worked on a few collections, etc... what is your opinion on this and the others?

you mentioned that editorials pay very little money- i was surprised to hear this.

anyway, it would be great to hear your responses~
ja~

29-04-2005
front row

I believe editorials in asia follow a bit of a different payment scheme than here (like they actually pay ok). Sometimes here it seams that you're lucky it pays. But doing things like magazines for free usually lead to something else that's more financially beneficial.

Softgrey, sounds amazing!!! It's sucks when a magazine says go for it! And then they look at the pictures and you know they're awsome, but they're too conservative or scared to publish them.

Anywho, maybe one day I'll have the balls to try out the new york scene.

29-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi
wow, that sounds completely amazing, softgrey- may i ask when it was shot? it seems it may be fitting for our current times- i imagine seeing it in W or something.
i agree...it would be great in W and that's really where i would have liked to see it...it's the only american fashion magazine that i would really want to work for...

but i don't stand a chance...i mean...CAMILLA NICKERSON from VOGUE is going to be working there now...i can't exactly compete with that kind of experience and reputation, you know??...*sigh*...i mean, who can??!!...

it's like there are 15 top stylists/editors and they simply rotate...it's hard for anyone else to get in there...plus, there really isn't THAT much top level work...so the competition is staggering...and very intimidating...even if you're good...because at that level, pretty much everyone is pretty great...

anyway...the irony of that story is that it was shot before 9/11...(i used some alber elbaz for lanvin!!)...it was my vision of what could happen if we didn't all start to pay more attention and get along better with one another in the world...in a way it was sort of a scary prediction...and maybe too political for a fashion magazine...especially a latin one which is really all about sex......

but that's me!!...the intellectual stylist...
most of my stories are something like that...some hidden story or personal agenda...it scares some people...they just want 'fluff'...

good luck with your studies misahoi...i think tristan is right about the market in asia being different...sorry i don't know much about it...i would be interested to hear more about it myself...i'm curious...

as far as fashion shows go...i've only done a few...putting th eshow together and marchandising the collection can be very fun and creative...but the actual ammount of work and the show itself is stressful enough to make you throw up...
so it's not something i like or do very often...
what i do is for print...magazine, ad, album cover...that kind of stuff...
i like photoshoots...not so much the other kind of stuff...

29-04-2005

i've merged the two styling threads...

i agree with tristan..stilista explained what it's like to the T...!!!...
and i also agree that when you're on a good editorial you don't care if you keep going until the sun comes up...because it is absolutely addictive...

a lot of people i know have compared it to heroin...
it just gets into your blood and before you know it you're a junkie...

29-04-2005
no photos, no photos

I've seen soft's shots.....A-MAZ-ING!!! They should be published

29-04-2005

oh chris...i forgot about that...you're so sweet...!!
thank you honey......

love you...

30-04-2005
loaded and locked

i just read this thread from the beginning, and it seems like everyone has had different experiences- but in the end it is HARD but REWARDING work. im revved up to go! and now i realize that i have a few connections that i need to nurture and coddle for as long as it takes to get started. when i learn more about the actual business here in asia (specifically japan) i will definitely post some info on it. thanks for your respones guys!

30-04-2005
front row

Babe, rune with it! I know what we all say is intimidating, but at the same time, it's not as hard as it seems to just call someone up cold and say "hey this is my deal, can we do a shoot" . I've found that photographers really hold on to their stylists like no tommorow. I know that I've worked with some amazing amazing makeup artists, a whole lot with one photographer, but it seems as though each photographer doesn't work wtih that many stylists. Good luck!! Post some work soon!

Softgrey, I know exactly how you feel. I hate it sometimes when it's not about, "will the people that matter get this?" and more about "will anyone get offended?". I only hope I can get where you're at!

03-05-2005
windowshopping

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist
Hello fellow fashionistas,

My name is Kenneth and I am new to this board. *shy*. A huge hugz to everyone!

Anyway, I'd been a fashion writer all this while and I am begining to branch out into the styling line. My first gig is to actually style a local band's stage attire.

Now, the question is - do I follow the same styling procedures as that of editorial? Where I pick clothes from various designers while promising them credit? The fact is - they would be wearing the clothes on stage and all.

A bit unsure abt the whole shebang. Can anyone help? Much thanks!

03-05-2005
front row

I styled a few bands before, i had a bit of a budget to work with though, so i purchased the clothes on top of my fee.

03-05-2005

do you have a budget?...
if it's a televised event or a sponsored tour..you could maybe borrow clothes...
but if it's for them to wear at local shows...how would you credit any designers?...

usually you wouldn't ..you'd just have to go buy them some clothes...
have fun...!!

and welcome to th fashion spot...*waves*

10-05-2005
rising star

i wanna be a stylist im starting from scratch i am a bit lost i live in paris,

lets say you wanna work or get some of your work published in a very prestigious mag what do you need?how do you show them?if you used dior shoes for example is it better

10-05-2005
doing it

Questions to Stylists, Creative team, etc...
I am always amazed at all the info and interesting topics here at tfs…the only problem is there’s not enough time to read it all!

I’ve got some questions too because I really don’t know much about stylists…but I have come to appreciate the work so much more now that I have a slightly better understanding of what they do, and how they are needed…I am just recently getting it.

I am thinking about making a lookbook for a small line of clothing I am designing and I am trying to plan out all the elements and factors involved with this…I’ve got a lot to ask…so thanks in advance for taking the time.

1. The Photographer:
From talking to people, and reading the threads here…I gather that once I’ve got my design samples, I can hire a photographer (but of course I haven’t got a lot of money right now) or I can work out a “test” with one.

Question: what are the qualities I should look for in a photographer. I know that we have to be able to get one another on some level.

2. The Model:
I can work out the same “test” agreement with a model, right?

Question: What do you look for in a model? She has to fit into my sample garments, but I should think about her height too? What else? Should she look like my target customer (who actually is not a twiggy teen)?

3. Make-up and Hair:
Same “test”/trade agreement?
Question: I suppose we have to use our best judgment on what makeup looks best for my target customer, the clothes, image…Is there anything you’d suggest about this?

4. Location:
Question: on a limited budget (okay non-existent budget) how do you choose? Also if it’s just for a look book, I don’t want a location that is very active anyway right?

Lots of questions eh? Thanks for reading it all and responding…you’re really helping me to understand this process.

Last edited by marrimoda; 10-05-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, stylist, wardrobe