How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-06-2010
windowshopping

Can someone recommend a school that has great photography courses?

14-06-2010
V.I.P.

I've moved this to the appropriate thread. Since you posted this in the Euopean Fashion School thread, I am assuming that you are asking about Euorpean Fashion Photography Schools.

Here are some quotes from another forum but I'm not sure if they all teach fashion photography ... you would have to review their sites to see the curriculum. Parsons Paris, mentioned below,is a fashion school ... so I know that must have fashion photography.

Source: the "L.Camera Forum"
Quote:
I'm looking for a good photography school in Europe where i can achieve a BFA degree and possibly a MFA degree later on.
Any experience or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Quote:
Leo,

The only school I know of is the Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague. Here is an English language link: FAMU : FILMOVÁ A TELEVIZNÍ FAKULTA AKADEMIE MÚZICKÝCH UMÌNÍ V PRAZE

You can gather more information here as well: FAMU - Prague Czech Republic

As the site mentions, director Milos Forman and MAGNUM member Josef Koudelka were graduates of FAMU; you'd be in good company.

I had great plans to enroll, but my father's decision that I should follow in his footsteps and study law, as well as the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968, changed my plans drastically.

Best,

Jan
Quote:
Hey Leo,

there are a few "good" schools in europe.
As Jan mentioned the FAMU in Prague is nice if you want to learn in a traditional black and white documentary school. I studied there for one year, but it`s expensive and you`re in an international class without contact to the czech students. Vevey in Switzerland www.cepv.ch has a good reputation, aswell as the artschool Leipzig in Germany www.hgb-leipzig.de, or the school in Arles www.enp-arles.com, aswell as the schools in Paris, Madrid, Brighton etc...Photojournalism, is really interesting in Aarhus/Denmark www.cfje.dk but without a BA or MA degree.
So, now you have to decide!
Miguel
Quote:
thanks for your replies.
I've thought about FAMU for some time now, and I really like Prague, so that would definitely be a good choice for me.
I'm also quite interested in Parson Paris. Does anyone have any experience from there?
Quote:
There's also the École des Gobelins, which has a good reputation.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
15-06-2010
windowshopping

Speos only offer master programs? Do they offer Diplomas or Degrees?

16-06-2010
windowshopping

Anyone have feedback on any good NYC schools for photography? I'm kinda lost between Speos, LCF or somewhere in NY. My first choice is NY, but i don't know which institute is good for such a course. Speos is perfect, which is my second choice and lastly LCF.

Anyone have any opinions?

01-10-2010
windowshopping

Photography schools in Japan
Hi guys,

I'm looking to study photography and am having problems searching for photography schools in Japan. Does anyone know any reputable schools for such courses or programs in Japan?

Thanks!

05-10-2010
scenester

Short Photography Courses UK ?
(I have to apologise if this isn't supposed to be its own individual thread but other threads didn't have the answers)

Does anyone know of any good photographic courses for photography (obviously fashion orientated would be better) in the UK?

Primarily London/South West?

I have found a lot of places online, but was wondering if anyone can suggest anything as some of them look sort of pointless?

thank you.

06-10-2010
windowshopping

btw... for people in Manhattan, I have heard very good things about the fashion photography course that is offered at the ICP in NY

http://shopping.icp.org/school/conti...oduct_id=33125

06-10-2010
V.I.P.

Such a good thread! Thanks Bette for directing me to it!

23-11-2010
tailored

the school of visual arts is offering a masters of professional studies degree in fashion photography:

Quote:
Dennis Freedman, former creative director of W, moved on when editor in chief Stefano Tonchi was brought in to revamp the title last year. After spending the better part of two decades working with photographers such as Steven Klein, Bruce Weber, Juergen Teller, Craig McDean and numerous others to push the boundaries of fashion editorial (notable examples include a nude Tom Ford cavorting with a blow-up doll; Dolce & Gabbana’s infamous ode to the Catholic Church, and shots of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie with a fake family, just as rumors hit that the two were an item), Freedman is making his way back to fashion, but in a new context.

The School of Visual Arts is starting a new graduate program in fashion photography that will begin in September and Freedman will take a faculty position, along with famed retoucher Pascal Dangin. The program is co-chaired by Jimmy Moffat, a founder in Art+Commerce, and Stephen Frailey, chair of the B.F.A. photography department at SVA. Nick Knight, Ryan McGinley, Sølve Sundsbø and Tim Walker are also involved in the program, along with Fabien Baron and Glenn O’Brien. Style editors such as Alix Browne and Andrew Richardson will be joined by Ingrid Sischy, Cathy Horyn, Vince Aletti of The New Yorker, Carol Squiers of the International Center of Photography and Eva Respini of the Museum of Modern Art.
wwd / november 21, 2010

and more on the program from the sva website:

Quote:
Beginning in the fall of 2011, the School of Visual Arts (SVA) will offer a Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Fashion Photography, a one-year degree program offering practicing photographers the opportunity to advance their bodies of work under the guidance of photographers, editors, creative directors and digital retouchers working at the forefront of fashion today. The program capitalizes on the resources of two of the world’s fashion capitals, New York and London, having tapped leaders from the creative communities of both to teach in the department. The program will be co-chaired by Stephen Frailey, photographer and chair of the BFA Photography Department at SVA and editor of Dear Dave, magazine, and Jimmy Moffat, co-founder of Art + Commerce.

As Stephen Frailey explains, "Fashion photography is too often thought of as superficial and unworthy of serious consideration, despite its imaginative uses of narrative, its cultural relevance and the profound influence it has had on 'fine art' photography for the past 30 years. Fashion photography is a burgeoning field internationally and we're excited to take the lead in offering a graduate program specifically devoted to the medium."

Fashion photography emerged as a genre in the first decade of the 20th century, following developments in halftone printing techniques which made reproduction in magazines possible. Edward Steichen is credited with the first modern fashion shoot in 1911, following a dare from a French fashion editor of Art et Decoration to promote fashion as a fine art via photography. Steichen's fashion images for Vogue, along with those of Cecil Beaton, Irving Penn and later Richard Avedon helped to both define and revolutionize the modern fashion image.

Frailey and Moffat have assembled leading figures from the fashion industry worldwide as faculty members, visiting artists, guest lecturers and advisers in the program, including: renowned retoucher Pascal Dangin; photographers Nick Knight, Ryan McGinley, Solve Sundsbo and Tim Walker; creative directors Fabien Baron and Glenn O'Brien; and style editors like Alix Browne and Andrew Richardson. They will be joined by noted critics and curators like Cathy Horyn of The New York Times; Vince Aletti of The New Yorker; Carol Squiers of the International Center of Photography and Eva Respini of The Museum of Modern Art, New York, among many others.

Jimmy Moffat remarks, "Fashion photography is a unique cultural matrix. The best practitioners are equally engaged with so-called high and low culture, and our program will do the same. We don't want to just inspire the most original work--we want our students to shape the future of the medium."

Students will explore the narrative, conceptual and cultural subtext of contemporary fashion photography while cultivating the critical and technical skills to produce original, innovative work ready for publication. The curriculum for the intensive 30 credit program includes: Fashion Photography Critique, a rigorous analysis of individual work by peers and faculty advisors; History of Fashion Photography, a historical survey of fashion photography emphasizing contemporary work of the past three decades; Digital Photography for Fashion Photographers, an exploration of the tools and techniques used in creative retouching and digital manipulation; Fashion Photography, Narrative and Cinema, an examination of cinema's influence on storytelling in fashion photography; Video and Fashion Photography, an exploration of the emerging fashion video form; Light, an in-depth look at the many possibilities of an informed use of light within a fashion image; Logistics, Collaboration and Support, which emphasizes the development of creative collaboration and partnerships with fellow students and the professional community. Students will also gather for a weekly Symposium, which includes guest lectures and critiques, museum and gallery trips, visits to designers' studios and couture shows.

Last edited by kimair; 23-11-2010 at 01:47 AM.
24-11-2010
backstage pass

^ Thanks for the valuable info Kimair!

24-11-2010
windowshopping

BTEC Art???
Hey guys, i'm deciding my GCSE options soon and im unsure whether to take BTEC Art or GCSE art...anyone done either?? Supposedly BTEC Art contains Photography aswell??

Danke

27-12-2010
windowshopping

Oh wow, getting a Masters at SVA would be a dream but LCF is more affordable. Though, with the tuition fees set to rise in England Im not sure if I will be able to apply to either. Scotland however remains free for European citizens, though Im afraid the art schools are about to become even more competitive due to the higher tuition fees in England. Yikes, I should have applied years ago!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, photography, schools