How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2013
trendsetter

I've had previous work experience at a national newspaper and I'm looking to study a fashion based business degree at university in the future.
I think it would be quite difficult for me to get an internship for a retailer or small designer because I don't have specific enough experience for that area. Do you think it would make more sense for me to look at internships at fashion publications (perhaps in their digital marketing or just general fashion departments) and use it almost as a stepping stone, to gain more work experience in fashion before applying for internships at retailers?
Hypothetically speaking of course, not that it's easy to get an internship at a fashion publication in first place! But do you think an internship at a fashion publication would be appealing to a retailer?

06-09-2013
scenester

Fashion Design Internships in London
HI, I'm a fashion student studying in NYC and am interested in internship opportunities in London. Does anyone know websites where London students go to look for internship opportunities? Thanks!

backstage pass

If this was answered before I'm really sorry and please point me to the post with the answer, but here's my question. I know this sounds silly, but when a magazine or a fashion PR firm asks you for a writing sample does it have to be fashion related? The web site doesn't specify and I have some great research papers, but they are all related to politics Any information you have about writing samples will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SevenWeeksLater; 05-05-2014 at 02:32 PM.
05-05-2014
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWeeksLater View Post
If this was answered before I'm really sorry and please point me to the post with the answer, but here's my question. I know this sounds silly, but when a magazine or a fashion PR firm asks you for a writing sample does it have to be fashion related? The web site doesn't specify and I have some great research papers, but they are all related to politics Any information you have about writing samples will be greatly appreciated!

It'd be the best if the sample is fashion-related. after all, writing fashion is quite different from writing politics.

Of course, when it comes to some serious fashion articles, they need to have high clarity, clear structure, just like those in politics. but if it's just copywriting, the tonality, choice of words are totally different.

09-05-2014
windowshopping

I would definitely opt for a fashion-realted writing sample - It's your one chance to shine; think creatively both in terms of content, but also in terms of visual/physical presentation - You want to really "wow" them. I know it is much easier said than done. Best of luck

09-05-2014
backstage pass

Thank you both for the advice!

windowshopping

retail internships
Hi everyone. Perhaps this question was addressed in the earlier pages of this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on retail internships for like Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Ave. I have been told that Neiman's HQ are in Dallas, TX, so I was wondering how it works. Do they pay for any type of expenses like airfair or accommodations? Any info would be great. Thanks

29-05-2014
V.I.P.

In general ... nothing is the answer to what they pay for.

US labor laws insist on pay (then it becomes a real job) for any work you do. The only exception is that you may receive school credits instead of pay, if it's an internship. So don't expect pay for any internship in the US ... it usually won't happen.

Also, don't expect anyone to pay for any of your expenses. It's your schooling , so getting there is your responsibility. It's pretty much the same as if you took a job with them.

On occasion, if you are working on location (away from your assigned place of business) they might provide accommodations, transportation and food for the number of days you have to be on location. However, normally they would not send interns on location, because they are not a necessary members of the team ... no sense in spending the money for that.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-05-2014 at 03:29 PM.
07-07-2014
windowshopping

I applied for a design internship in London and they want me to do a "trial day". Has anybody experienced something like this?

I mean It's not an interview, which to me sounds more "secure" to finally get the whole internship, although I know a lots of people would have applied and of course they're asking all of us to do the trial day.

I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation, I want to know how "sure" it is to get the whole internship once I pass the trial day, and considering I haven't lied neither on my resume or cover letter and that I want it so badly I'll try my best. This is driving me nuts because I live in a foreign Country and traveling there will be expensive

tyia for any contributions

07-07-2014
V.I.P.

I would guess that they are only asking a few of the top candidates to do a trial day ... so assume that you have a good chance of making it.

I think what they will probably be looking at is how hard you work, if you are a self starter, how you take direction and your general attitude. So, I would say just listen carefully, do the chores they give you to the best of your ability, then ask for more work. And don't waste time. If there is a break between chores and you are waiting for further instruction, find something productive to do ... even if it's just to tidy up a bit. Stay busy, be polite, and have a positive attitude.

Look at it as a fun experience .... and good luck!!

Last edited by BetteT; 07-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.
07-07-2014
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I would guess that they are only asking a few of the top candidates to do a trial day ... so assume that you have a good chance of making it.

I think what they will probably be looking at is how hard you work, if you are a self starter, how you take direction and your general attitude. So, I would say just listen carefully, do the chores they give you to the best of your ability, then ask for more work. And don't waste time. If there is a break between chores and you are waiting for further instruction, find something productive to do ... even if it's just to tidy up a bit. Stay busy, be polite, and have a positive attitude.

Look at it as a fun experience .... and good luck!!
whoa, that has kinda relieved me

thanks a lot for your quick response, you're always giving great advice

08-07-2014
windowshopping

So I finally booked a trial day next week, but they didn't tell me much, just that they booked me in x day.

Is it normal that they don't give you a lot of details? I mean, all I have is the name of the person I exchanged e-mails with and the studio´s address
(they didn't even say an specific hour, I had to ask and I'm waiting for response)

It's probably not a big deal, but I guess I'm too cautious and I always suspect in lack of information

08-07-2014
V.I.P.

No idea .... never actually heard of a "trial day" before.

Probably they will send a group email with the details, later.

4 Weeks Ago
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
^ It depends on a number of different things, it is very much preferable that you are a still a student to do an unpaid internship in London, because they cannot hire graduates without paying them.
Your portfolio is important, the work you have done, and to convey your capabilities and what you could bring to the company.
For example, if you applying to Mary Katrantzou a high level of interest, a high level of capability and experience in digital printing would get you noticed, I am sure.
You will almost certainly be interviewed, I have interviewed at two different brands in the past, in remote parts of London, I think it's very rare for brands to cover travel expenses. Different brands will require different things (aside from your portfolio), for example, I was asked to bring an example of my sewing skills, I have heard of others being asked to do small projects to bring with them.

As with all internships you also must be aware that you aren't necessarily going to be doing the most creative things, the interns there will all be fashion students or designers but will still have to do menial tasks like photocopying, flat drawings, fetching coffee, etc.
You are there for whatever experience you can gain out of it and at the end of the day you will have 'Intern at Mary Katrantzou' or whatever on your C.V. which will be a boost for your future endeavors.
Indeed, I interned at a London brand only for one week one season and another week the next season and all I did was hand-sew and run errands; often the brands are small and just need the extra hands to work for them without having to pay them.
It seems very strange, and can be expensive (especially in London) but you meet great people and gain experience which is so necessary to further yourself in fashion.

Sorry, this is like a really old post, but I was just wondering, would you put in your resume those 1 week only internships as experience? (in your resume, for example) I did intern 1 week in a fashion brand but I wasn't sure if that short period of time would mean something in my resume

TIA

2 Weeks Ago
scenester

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I really want to intern at Margiela. I know they take interns, however I have no idea how to apply. I emailed them and haven't received a response. I am currently completing my degree at RMIT in Melbourne and would like to relocate to Paris once it is complete and intern. Please help me!!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, experience, internships, placements, work