How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-11-2011
front row

does someone know of companies that offer long paid-internships for students? in europe?

28-11-2011
V.I.P.

^most of long-time internships are paid in germany.

windowshopping

I have a lot of experience with internships since I live in Italy and with this financial crisis there are more internship offers than job openings. Anyway, last year I got a chance to work as an intern for 6 moths at Vogue Italia, in particular for Vogue.it website. Since I had some previous writing experience, the fashion editor of Vogue Italia allowed me to write articles for Talents channel, in particular for Eco Talents which is dedicated to eco-sustainable fashion which is one of my passions. I was very happy with the fact that after 6 months I had about 35 articles in my portfolio. On the other hand, I didn't get paid anything, even though I worked much more than all other interns whose job was just to upload articles on the website... I know that in most European countries - Austria, Germany, Spain included- internships by law have to be paid... Unfortunately this is not the case with Italy.

Last edited by ffashionist; 01-12-2011 at 04:34 PM.
07-12-2011
windowshopping

Hey, guys! At the moment, I am a Film and French student, second year, in the UK, with a major passion for fashion.Anyway, thepoint is that I am a fashion obsessed person and I'm planning to go for a career in fashion editing (hopefully, it will be more than just a plan ).
I am originally from Romania, and I just found out that they have summer internships at Elle Romania and Harper's Bazaar.Do you think that I should take this opportunity? I mean, would it count as a real work experience even if it's not London, Paris or NY? Thanks in advance

V.I.P.

Take anything you can get that is related. I agree with you ... it's still work experince so it counts ... but probably not as much as in a fashion city.

31-12-2011
windowshopping

I'll graduate from fashion design school this summer and want to do at least one internship in london (I'm from switzerland). My biggest question is who to contact? The press contact of the label or...? And is it fine to contact them via email or should I send in my portfolio?

My school isn't very helpful with these thing
Also I found someone on the linkedin website who's an intern at one of my favorite designers. Is it rude to just message them asking if they can tell me how I can get an internship there too?

31-12-2011
V.I.P.

I think asking anyone who has interned, anywhere, how they found the job, who they had to contact and so on, would be helpful to you. Asking someone you don't know to help you "get their job" (there may only be one internship, not many, you don't really know)... well ... I would suspect that they would not want to talk to you if you were going to compete with them. You will probably get a better response if you just say you are doing research about the best way to apply for internships and are asking people what the process was for them.

Secondly, I always suggest that you contact the headquarters of the company that you want to intern for and ask whoever answers the phone, if they take interns and if so, ask who would you need to conatct about that. Get a name, if you can ... it's always better to talk to someone directly. Then see if you can talk to that person, or at least, that person's assistant and ask for the procedure to apply. They should be able to tell you if they want portfolios or not, whether or not they take it via email, etc. They might have an online application form and instructions ... so you can also look for that on their corporate site.

I'm really suprised that your school ... if it's a fashion design school ... can't help you. I would think they'd have student advisors to help with these sort of things and usually they have a list of names for companies who take interns from thier school.

01-01-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I think asking anyone who has interned, anywhere, how they found the job, who they had to contact and so on, would be helpful to you. Asking someone you don't know to help you "get their job" (there may only be one internship, not many, you don't really know)... well ... I would suspect that they would not want to talk to you if you were going to compete with them. You will probably get a better response if you just say you are doing research about the best way to apply for internships and are asking people what the process was for them.

Secondly, I always suggest that you contact the headquarters of the company that you want to intern for and ask whoever answers the phone, if they take interns and if so, ask who would you need to conatct about that. Get a name, if you can ... it's always better to talk to someone directly. Then see if you can talk to that person, or at least, that person's assistant and ask for the procedure to apply. They should be able to tell you if they want portfolios or not, whether or not they take it via email, etc. They might have an online application form and instructions ... so you can also look for that on their corporate site.

I'm really suprised that your school ... if it's a fashion design school ... can't help you. I would think they'd have student advisors to help with these sort of things and usually they have a list of names for companies who take interns from thier school.
thank you so much for your response!

well, I think my school would be more helpful if I'd want an internship in my country or germany. Most of the students don't want to go to other countries because they don't want to do unpaid internships (here and in germany most interns do get paid).

11-01-2012
backstage pass

Hey guys- I have a question about receiving college credit for an internship. My dilemma is that I want to do an internship over the summer (hopefully a conde/hearst mag) but they require you to receive credit, which means I would need to pay $1400 tuition for a class because I go to a private school. So, my question is: is there anyway to just sign up for a community college course and get credit there, even though that's not where I'm enrolled full-time? Or is this not allowed? Thanks in advance.

11-01-2012
V.I.P.

You would have to ask the community college (maybe a counselor?) if they have an internship program where you can get credit in any of their courses ... that's the only way you can know for sure.

14-01-2012
backstage pass

Yes I will definitely look into that and ask the cc directly. But I was wondering if anyone knew if the Conde or Hearst would not allow me to receive credit at a community college, since that's not where I actually go to school? Or is that not a problem?

14-01-2012
V.I.P.

I would think that "college credit" means college credit. And, I don't think they care. It's more about labor laws anyway. In the U.S., technically they have to pay you if you don't get college credit ... so that is why they insist on that. So they don't have to pay minimum wage.

In addition, the schools usually have some sort of "internship class" if it's not credit for a regular class ... therefore you would actually be going to that school... anyway.

15-01-2012
backstage pass

Ok sounds good, thanks BetteT!

16-01-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionandstyle1 View Post
Hey guys- I have a question about receiving college credit for an internship. My dilemma is that I want to do an internship over the summer (hopefully a conde/hearst mag) but they require you to receive credit, which means I would need to pay $1400 tuition for a class because I go to a private school. So, my question is: is there anyway to just sign up for a community college course and get credit there, even though that's not where I'm enrolled full-time? Or is this not allowed? Thanks in advance.
I can't speak for Hearst but Conde requires that you receive college credit from any college or university, community college included. As long as you can provide all the appropriate signatures from the community college you'll be all set.

backstage pass

^thank you!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, experience, internships, placements, work