How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionandstyle1 View Post
Yes I will definitely look into that and ask the cc directly. But I was wondering if anyone knew if the Conde or Hearst would not allow me to receive credit at a community college, since that's not where I actually go to school? Or is that not a problem?
hey there. I was wondering if you figure it out the community college situation? i am in the process of changing schools and thought also of starting something in a CC to save some cash and try for those internships. Hope tit worked out for you

11-05-2012
backstage pass

BetteT, I just read the whole thread, and learned quite a few things from everyone's questions. Thank you for the insight.

I worked assisting stylists in NYC for fashion week and for fashion shoots, and also did my own styling gigs. I built an ok portfolio, but now I believe it is dated. I moved out of the city for a few years and now I'm going back. I plan to apply to a few colleges and my goal is to work as a stylist. What do you think would be my best approach?

12-05-2012
V.I.P.

Your approach to get an internship for a stylist? Internships is what this thread is about ......

If you want to learn how to become a stylist, go here: All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist #2
And the beginning of this long, long thread is here: All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

13-05-2012
backstage pass

Hey guys, question for you! I have already received an internship at a local lifestyle magazine, but as a backup I went on interview with a similar local mag and I *might* get that one as well. So, if I end up taking both of them, I was wondering if it's dishonest in any way not to tell each mag that I'm also interning at their competitor's mag at the same time? Is this something I should tell them or is it not a big deal? At the second mag, she said that they have to always keep an eye out for what the competition (ie the first mag) is writing about and try not to duplicate their stories...so obviously I won't be taking ideas or anything.

I also intend to put my internships on my LinkedIn page, so if I don't tell them and they see it on there, would they think I was being dishonest or anything? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

13-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionyork View Post
hey there. I was wondering if you figure it out the community college situation? i am in the process of changing schools and thought also of starting something in a CC to save some cash and try for those internships. Hope tit worked out for you
I ended up getting an internship at a local magazine, and my interviewer was actually the one who suggested that I try to get credit at a community college instead of paying my private school tuition. So that answers the question of whether or not it's okay to get credit at a school you don't actually go to...at least for this specific company.

However, I found it very difficult to find a community college that offers internship credit, because many of them require you to have a certain number of units at the school before you can enroll in the internship class. So, you have to do some homework and look around in the area you want to find out what their rules are for getting into the class. Hope this helps!

13-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionandstyle1 View Post
Hey guys, question for you! I have already received an internship at a local lifestyle magazine, but as a backup I went on interview with a similar local mag and I *might* get that one as well. So, if I end up taking both of them, I was wondering if it's dishonest in any way not to tell each mag that I'm also interning at their competitor's mag at the same time? Is this something I should tell them or is it not a big deal? At the second mag, she said that they have to always keep an eye out for what the competition (ie the first mag) is writing about and try not to duplicate their stories...so obviously I won't be taking ideas or anything.

I also intend to put my internships on my LinkedIn page, so if I don't tell them and they see it on there, would they think I was being dishonest or anything? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
It's a longshot that you will be able to work both internships at the same time .... even if you did get both ... due to conflicting schedules.

So, I think that if you get both of them ... you should tell them both that you have been fortunate enough to be selected by both magazines and ask them how they would like you to handle it. Most likely they will tell you to choose one ... and that is what you should do. I highly discourage you trying to hide it ... they will find out (even if you don't put in on your linkin page, an employee or someone else will notice and talk), and that would damage your reputation (and reputation is everything in fashion) and probably you'd be fired from one or both internships.

13-05-2012
backstage pass

^about the conflicting schedules, it's summer for me so I have 5 full days free, meaning I could potentially commit to 2 days at one, 3 days at the other. I'm a little surprised that you think that they would ask me to choose only one..but then again, I've never been at a magazine before so what do I know. I suppose I should tell them upfront then if I'm able to get both. Thanks!

13-05-2012
don't look down

In terms of starting out as an intern, be straight with people, don't muddy your reputation or give them the slightest reason to doubt your integrity, or else you could end up working for no-one in the end. It can be a surprisingly small world, and once word gets around...

Besides, if you progress to being a freelancer, you can certainly work with a range of clients then - just because you have to pick which one magazine to work with today doesn't mean you can't broaden your client list in the near future.

V.I.P.

As far as the schedule goes ... most likely they will tell you when they want you there and if you can't commit, then you won't get the internship. You don't usually get to pick and choose your own own hours, especially in the summer because they know that you won't have classes. An internship is a practice job and you are expected to conduct yourself as any good employee would and play by their rules.

15-05-2012
backstage pass

BetteT,

I worked as a stylist before by myself and assisting more seasoned ones. My question was more related because I am going back to NY after a few years off the market. So I was wondering if there was anything someone might know about an intership/assisting with a stylist.

---

fashionandstyle1 , thanks for answering my question it helps. hope you have a good intership!

15-05-2012
V.I.P.

I get approached all the time with resumes, etc. for assisting jobs and occassionally an internship so I know what I look for.

What I like to see is a well written cover letter, briefly explaining the applicant's goals and background, with an attached resume and references. I want an phone number and an address too ... so if I am interested, I can actually talk to this person to get a better reading.

For an internship candidate, in addtion to hype, referrals and info about themselves, I will want to know what school they are attending, whether or not it is for credit (important since in the US the labor laws say that I must pay an intern if they are not getting credit at school), I will want to know how long the intership being requested will last, what days and hours the intern will be available.

I would want to be sure the intern/assistant has a reliable car (maybe not in NY .... but certainly in any other city) because running errands will be a big part of the job.

I don't really care if they are experienced or not .... it's not important to the duties they will be performing. I just want someone who is happy to be working with me (positive attitude) and who will work hard, is a self starter and can think on their feet.

An intern is there to learn, but also to work hard ... so I need to get that sense from them or I won't be interested. If I felt that an intern or an assistant is out to grab my contacts to use to compete against me later, they will not be hired. If I sense that someone is using me to "break into" the styling biz rather than just to absorb the information I can share, I will not want them working with me. Confidentiality and trustworthiness is probably the most important thing I look for (with having a strong work ethic a close second).

15-05-2012
backstage pass

Bette,
Thanks so much for sharing this Its good to know the opinion of professionals. I'll look into the other thread you suggested as well just to see what people are saying there.

16-05-2012
tfs star

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could advise me on this:
I live in Uruguay and I'd love to do an intership somewhere else during our summer (Jan/Feb). Do you think it is possible to apply for an intership for example in London, while I'm still in Uruguay? Or is it necessary for me to go first to London, try to find something there and leave it all to luck?
Thanks!

V.I.P.

You probably can apply from your country. In fact, you probably will need to apply early, because internships are usually lined up long before school is out. And, in the case of cities in the Northern Hemesphere, you will need to do some research to find out if any companies even offer internships during their Winter. The good news is that if you can be there during that city's Fashion Week (depending on the city), they may need extra help then.

Two things you will need to tell them, in your cover letter:
1. That you will be living in London (or whatever city you are looking at) during the period of the internship.
2. That you will fly there, to interview, if they need to meet you first.

That means ... you have to bear the cost of the flights and the housing, etc. If you cannot do that ... not likely you will get an internship overseas. Oh .... and take time now, to investigate what visa's you will need to intern in the other countries ... the paperwork can take up to 6 months or longer in some countries.

Do not expect to fly there and just walk in and get an internship where you can start right away. It would be very unlikely to happen. Internships are usually planned months in advance ... so there probably will not be any that are not allready filled.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.
17-05-2012
tfs star

Thank you so much BetteT!!

Tags
#2, experience, internships, placements, work