How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-06-2009
trendsetter

i would LOVE an opportunity to do a PR internship at Browns. do you have a lot of previous work experience??

good luck! i'm not much help...

30-06-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie123 View Post
i would LOVE an opportunity to do a PR internship at Browns. do you have a lot of previous work experience??

good luck! i'm not much help...
Ermm... not really I've work at a few retailers & worked at London Fashion Week last year.

30-08-2009
windowshopping

NY Fashion PR
Hey,

I have started a label out of the city recently. Doing a fashion show in two weeks. I understand it is quite late, but I need a PR company or freelancer to work on this asap.

Can anybody recommend a good company?

I know all the big ones i.e. KCD, People's, Bismarck etc. I am more interested in freelancers (ex-employees of the mentioned company's who branched out on their own) or boutique firms that are quite capable.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited by R'Chi; 30-08-2009 at 03:43 PM.
31-08-2009
windowshopping

***Edited*** I am a fashion stylist, always in contact with multiple PR firms and freelancers. Do you know Deborah Hughes PR? What about London Misher, I have an associate who left there recently.

***Edited ****

Thanks

Last edited by BetteT; 31-08-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Please see our no self promotion rules in the Announcements forum.
20-09-2009
front row

What are good places to study fashion pr in NYC (preferably)? or Paris?

16-02-2010
Looking Up

So I know it's been a while since anyone's posted here but I'm planning my journey to becoming a fashion PR.
Im currently doing an Arts degree in English, and I was wondering what kind of papers or topics I should focus on to direct myself and my career towards fashion PR.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

16-02-2010
fashion icon

same here
im starting college in september and my declared major is communications. my goal would be to work at a fashion PR firma in nyc.
would anyone reccomend a summer internship to gain experience first?

front row

I think if you are studying an English degree there is not much that you can really direct yourself towards Fashion PR. Apart from maybe some kind of writing class that might help you in writing press releases? I am not sure.

But to be honest I wouldn't worry too much, I did my degree in European Studies, and apart from the fact that I studied languages my other studies have nothing to do with my job now, and it was nothing to do with my studies that got me the job! That being said I was lucky in one sense. But hey you never know, you just need to do internships, unless you are studying a direct communications or PR course, the only way to get experience and to learn what Fashion Pr is all about is through internships either in-house or with an agency!

And anyway to be honest, even if you do a PR dedicated course, all the studying in the world can't prepare you for the actual realities of life in Fashion PR, here in Paris, they are very focused on only taking people from certain types of schools or courses of study, but every time one of them arrives, even if just for an interview, you realise very quickly that they probably don't understand what their day to day work will involve. It's not all about just sitting talking on the phone to journalists and then going to runway shows and parties, it's very physical stressful work, that's not always very well paid compared to some other areas of fashion and that takes a long time to gain any kind of foothold in! lol

Last edited by christrinity; 16-02-2010 at 06:39 AM.
16-02-2010
Looking Up

^ Wow that helps a lot. A lot!

12-04-2010
Looking Up

I have an internship interview with a Fashion PR company tomorrow!! I've practiced all my answers and stuff. But any tips?!?!?!

12-04-2010
backstage pass

I understand that PR is a full-time job, but do most publicists work like 9-5 type hours with weekends off? I mean do you have a set schedule each week & days off each week? I know that may sound ridiculous, but I genuinely want to know. I realize, in fashion, during fashion week things may be hectic with overtime involved but surely it's not 24/7!

12-04-2010
V.I.P.

Good luck, Squizree! I wish I did have some tips, but I don't ... but I'm sure you will do fine.

missbliss, I think that most PR is not 9 to 5. Maybe in the beginning if you are just a receptionist or a data input clerk. But PR is tons of office work ... then there are many after hours functions and a lot of the staff is expected to be there. Not just in fashion and not just during fashion week, either ... it's any PR. There are promotional activities going on all year. Your client's name needs to be everywhere ... at least everywhere they think their prospective customers are. So there are charitable events, dinners, awards shows, conventions, radio & TV spots, store openings, parites, marathons, competitions, and so much more.

Last edited by BetteT; 12-04-2010 at 02:01 PM.
12-04-2010
Looking Up

The interview went well! The guy took me to a cafe and we had a cool chat about what they do.
He saw my fashion artwork and was kinda impressed.

BUT he confused me at the end because he gave me his card and he was like "Email me with your thoughts"
What does that mean? Do I have it or not? What should I say in the email??

12-04-2010
V.I.P.

That does sound confusing .... but it's PR ... so maybe, just maybe ... he want's you to do a email to impress him like a press release.

So, my suggestion is to send him something that thanks him for his time and the information he shared with you. (YOu should always do this after an interview, anyway.) Then confirm that you are very interested in being an intern and hope that they will take you on as a member of the team. And then try to remember any points he made about what they want from interns or from employees. Then recap some of your stong points that may fit right into those expectations.

For example, if he said it was a fast paced job, point out that you like to work under pressure (hopefully, you do). If he said that interns sometimes don't get a lot of direction, say that you self motivated and are not afraid to ask for more work once something has been completed. If he said the it's a lot of team work, then say that you work best as part of a team and are energized by that. If he said that intern work is boring, then say that you expect to work hard at mundane tasks but will gain a lot from just being in the environment of a PR office. In other words ... try to remember his "hot buttons" and play to that.

Publicists must be able to write well, get someone's interest quickly and leave a positive feeling ... so try to do that with your words. And make sure you spell check it before you send it off ... and have someone who you know is good with that sort of thing, check it for you too, to make sure it's postive and easy to understand.

Last edited by BetteT; 12-04-2010 at 07:15 PM.
12-04-2010
Looking Up

^ Wow, heaps of help Bette. This is what Ive written so far:

Quote:
Dear XXXXX,

Firstly I'd like to greatly thank you for taking the time to talk to me earlier today about Coco PR and the possible opportunities I could partake in.

I would also like to say that I tremendously admire and respect Coco PR's professionalism and passionate purpose towards the fashion industry.

I am extremely passionate about writing as well as fashion, and have great ambitions for myself in the fashion industry and its future, particularly in New Zealand.

I personally think that Coco PR would be a terrifically inspiring place for me to begin these ambitions and I would love to be part of Coco's dedicated and stylish team, in helping shape New Zealand's fashion industry into something bigger, better and global.

Therefore, I would immensely appreciate it if you could accept me as an intern aboard Coco PR.

Thank you, once again and Best Regards,

Joseph George

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pr, public, relations