How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2007
front row

^ Can you tell us a bit more about PR in publishing? Also what are some international publishing houses that take interns ie in China? thanks, any info is much appreciated.

06-02-2007
backstage pass

I guess I'm curious about the PR people who represent socialites and fashion celeb types.

I follow the socialite scene somewhat closely and it seems that a few new girls (young and in college) pop out of nowhere wearing designer clothes and going to events and front row at fashion shows. I guess I'm curious about how PR works to take an obscure girl to that ind of level.

Last edited by thefrancofille; 06-02-2007 at 05:06 PM.
06-02-2007
V.I.P.

^ You mean Tinsley Mortimer, the Traina sisters, Genevieve Jones and PARIS HILTON...Ya, those people are so dull in real life, they need PR people.

06-02-2007
fashion elite

^trainas dont exactly need PR to get into fashion shows. Andre Leon Talley is their god-father...and I disagree that they are dull in real life, but the rest, yeah dull and horrible.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
^trainas dont exactly need PR to get into fashion shows. Andre Leon Talley is their god-father...and I disagree that they are dull in real life, but the rest, yeah dull and horrible.
I didnt know that. I just thought b/c of thier mom, Danielle Steel.

06-02-2007
fashion elite

^well yeah, my point was that they are legit. the real thing. not like tinsley mortimer with no fashion cred what so ever.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylephox
^ Can you tell us a bit more about PR in publishing? Also what are some international publishing houses that take interns ie in China? thanks, any info is much appreciated.
Not sure about China, but you can always look up international publishing houses like Penguin or Doubleday. Many publishing houses also outsource their PR to agencies. PR in publishing is like PR in anything else. Sending out press releases, arranging interviews, giving authors and publishers media advice, etc...

06-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
^well yeah, my point was that they are legit. the real thing. not like tinsley mortimer with no fashion cred what so ever.
So, is she a product of PR? If so, can someone break it down for me?

08-02-2007
scenester

"I find people generally refer to entertainment/fashion/party PR when they are talking about PR"

when applying to colleges keeping those kind of jobs in mind what would be the best thing to study? any colleges you know of?

08-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne&Dreams
"I find people generally refer to entertainment/fashion/party PR when they are talking about PR"

when applying to colleges keeping those kind of jobs in mind what would be the best thing to study? any colleges you know of?
Syracuse University has a PR program

http://newhouse.syr.edu/

08-02-2007
fashion elite

champagne...
in a dream world i would take a dual program in communications (or journalism) and design&manegement. but since few schools would really have both those majors and allow it, you are best going the communications route and just blanketing fashion PR firms with your resume.

backstage pass

If you're interested in coming to Canada, Ryerson University has a fashion communications program.

http://ryerson.ca/undergraduate/admi...s/fashion.html

Does anyone know if Parsons or FIT have fashion communications programs?

Last edited by writergal28; 08-02-2007 at 09:21 PM.
08-02-2007
fashion elite

^I know that Parson's does not. I can't say for FIT, but its doubtful. Unfortunately most of the fashion business programs that are offered are geared primarily to buying/merchandising and not the other elements of the industry. However, the Parsons D&M program does offer classes in these areas, just not a degree in them specifically.

front row

I'm very interested in PR! I would like to do an internship in Germany. Any suggestions?Thanks.

09-02-2007
fashion elite

I worked for three years in Events...which is basically PR. Ive worked with some major corporations such as Conde Nast, and some major law firms as clients.

I am going back to school in the fall to study PR, and hope to move into a more corporate environment. Instead of having numerous clients, I think I want to work for one corporation, and just handle thier PR/Marketing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pr, public, relations