How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2007
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellness
Most leading fashion companies have inhouse PR persons
exactly

try to contact PR through official websites

using a bit of web search will be painless and essential
please dont expect us to do your homework for you

Last edited by Lena; 05-05-2007 at 07:20 AM.

07-05-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
exactly

try to contact PR through official websites

using a bit of web search will be painless and essential
please dont expect us to do your homework for you

of course i don't expect something like that,i just want your opinions.thank you anyway.

07-05-2007
windowshopping

Part of being a good PR person is being good at finding contact information for anyone. who represents who etc.

19-06-2007
scenester

I have a question about PR positions in an-house fashion company. Are PR assistants considered interns and is a PR coordinator considered an entry-level position? Thanks for the feedback.

20-06-2007
loaded and locked

Here, a PR assistant is merely someone who is not the head of PR/PR manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinie View Post
I have a question about PR positions in an-house fashion company. Are PR assistants considered interns and is a PR coordinator considered an entry-level position? Thanks for the feedback.

20-06-2007
scenester

Thanks so much. But how about in New York? If I wanted to contact companies should I apply for a PR assistant or PR coordinator? Since I already have some experience in PR through internships and freelance gigs I wonder which would suit me best? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to change careers and break into PR. thanks

30-06-2007
windowshopping

Im studying Advertising design, but i really want to go for fashion, is there such a thing like fashion advertising as a career??? Or is there a 2 year fashion program that could value the courses ive taken in advertising design???? thank u..
Marcela

08-07-2007
rising star

My friend is interested in studying public relations and communications in college. It sounds like a fascinating job, but it must require an outgoing, sociable personality.

13-07-2007
windowshopping

I want to do fashion pr in my hometown Amsterdam!

20-07-2007
scenester

Does anyone know who does the PR for YSL in NYC?

20-07-2007
kabhi alvida

I need the knowledge of someone in the industry.

I sent off my CV to a well known British PR fashion firm. I got a reply a few days later saying their program was competitive and could I tell them my dates and availability. I replied in the most professional and polite way. A week later, no reply. I called last friday and the guy said he's been out of the office and is still replying to mail, he'll get back to me at the beginning of this week. It's now friday, no reply.

Have I been rejected? Should I call him next week?

Thankyou

Impossible

scenester

I hope this hasn't already been discussed but I was wondering if someone could explain the difference betweena showroom and a PR firm in terms of managing fashion samples and the role they lay in fashion shows. Thanks!

23-07-2007
V.I.P.

I believe that most showrooms are primarily used for selling the line to retailers, wholesale ... like to boutique owners and such. One showroom might represent many lines, take orders and get paid a percentage of what they sell. The retailers who are interested in carrying one or more of the lines go to the showrooms to see the merchandise and place thier orders.

The PR firm or publicist has a sample room for stylists to pull from. It's thier job to get the clothes displayed on as many celebrity backs and in as many magazines as they can ... for the purpose of publicity and promoting the brand. They lend out the samples over and over for the entire season ... but don't actually sell anything.

I think that samples for fashion shows, if it's the designer's own show, are often the samples that the designer has ... separate from the other 2 sets of samples. If it's a charity show or something like that , usually they will need to contact the PR office.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-07-2007 at 05:30 PM.
24-07-2007
V.I.P.

Ew, lol. Sounds like a LOT of worn clothes. Over and over again.

And @ Impossible: I hate that too when companies do that. Even if they promise you a letter or even a memo, saying that you got rejected, it's a lot more confusing NOT to receive anything.

27-07-2007
backstage pass

Well I know that in Sydney, at my university (Sydney University) they offer a Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and a Post-graduate Masters of PR aswell.

From the research I've done experience whilst you're at uni/studying works in your favour, try apply for PR assistant/ PA positions to gain an insight to the field, no matter if it's a minor PR company or a major one, because in all honesty (and reality) you aren't going to land a fabulous PR position fresh out of college/university and that's a fact of life unless you've got connections.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pr, public, relations