How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-03-2008
scenester

agency
I started a PR agency a few years ago in the northeast, it was corporate communications / high tech focused. We grew to about 20+ people or so, maybe 50 clients... so it went well, and I enjoyed it.

To those who say you have to be nice to everyone, or be a bs'er - that's simply not true. Maybe if you want to be a bad PR person. The best PR people are authentic and interesting and can have nuanced, intelligent conversation about their industry. They also build strong, mutually-beneficial relationships. Ideally, you are a valued resource to the press and others - this helps you do your job, and them do theirs.

I'm in LA now, doing some PR on a consulting basis, shooting here and there, etc. If any of you need advice/pointers, etc., feel free to PM or IM me - I'm not on the forums often.

Good luck - there are so many bad PR people in the world, good PR people who stand out can do very well.

Last edited by ZigZagLens; 27-03-2008 at 11:52 PM.

28-04-2008
windowshopping

The People's Revolution?
Anyone here have any info or input on The People's Revolution...my school has an internship open with them...not sure if I want to go for it.

28-04-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunitweety View Post
Anyone here have any info or input on The People's Revolution...my school has an internship open with them...not sure if I want to go for it.
NY or LA?

29-04-2008
front row

Hiya I'm 17 years old and currently away to finish my one year course of PR, media and Advertising. I've just been accepted to do a HND in PR and Advertising. Are these qualifications right for a career in fashion PR? What specific qualifications do you need? is there a particular course in any UK univesitites?

XxX

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellness View Post
NY or LA?
The People's Revolution internship is in NY... do they only deal with event planning?

There's also an opportunity with The Britto Agency and Press Office Ltd...never heard of them. you?

01-05-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunitweety View Post
If you watch the Hills, Lauren and Whitney work for them. Check out season 3 episodes 20, 21, 24. Whitney travels to the NYC branch in episode 21.

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/the_hill...episodes.jhtml

02-05-2008
fashion insider

I'm considering adding PR to my list of majors. Would Journalism and PR go well together?

scenester

Ridiculously well, frieda. I'm in my 4th year majoring in Journalism with focus on PR. It's all about making your writing the best it can be, and also communicating with journalists (with regards to media relations and such...)

V.I.P.

Yes considering PR consists of some journalism aka writing press releases, etc.

04-05-2008
front row

^ That is good to know because I am currently majoring in Journalism and was thinking I might major in PR as well.

04-05-2008
V.I.P.

Personally, I wouldn't major in both because I know if you major in PR, there is going to be a journalism course in it. So it's kind of like adding extra baggage, you know? Either or degrees can lead to a career in PR. If anything, I'd do PR with a minor in Marketing or vice versa. That's just me, though!

07-05-2008
fashion insider

At least at my university, PR majors only take one specific journalism course. Thanks for the suggestions, all!

rising star

interesting thread! i'm starting uni soon in aug this year and was thinking of majoring in journalism/publishing and maybe couple with PR too. great information here! x)
cheers!

19-05-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine View Post
Personally, I wouldn't major in both because I know if you major in PR, there is going to be a journalism course in it. So it's kind of like adding extra baggage, you know? Either or degrees can lead to a career in PR. If anything, I'd do PR with a minor in Marketing or vice versa. That's just me, though!
I agree and I'd even go as far as saying you don't have to major in journalism or PR to get a job in the industry. I've been representing consumer brands for a PR firm for over a year and majored in marketing. It definitely helps if you know someone...do a little PR for yourself and set up some informational interviews w/ ppl on the inside before you apply. I don't know about other firms, but my company prefers to higher based on referrals and they offer pretty nice reward bonuses to provide incentive.

31-05-2008
windowshopping

Hello everyone!

I'm interviewing Melissa Davis Co-Owner of Ruby PR. Ruby PR is a Boutique PR agency specializing in Fashion/Beauty related fields. Aside from starting her own PR agency Melissa has also been a Fashion Editor for Harper's BAZAAR, Mademoiselle, and Lucky Magazine.

Wondering if anybody had any questions that they would like me to ask her.. whether it be about the Fashion Magazine industry or her startup PR boutique.. anything.. let me know by this Tuesday June 3 2008 !

And be sure to check up on my blog for her interview and answers to your questions!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pr, public, relations