How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2004
Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 4th, 2004 - 6:32 pm
i think she means the height of the actual catwalk.....not the models
I know. That, believe it or not, was my attempt at Sunday evening humor.

04-01-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 5th, 2004 - 1:47 am
Lena that costs are for real BIGGGGG shows

you can really cut back on costs........eg......invitations 1000+ u can DEFINATELY make that down to 200

as for dressers......students JUMP at the chance to do it.......for free

$200? printing invitations and POST COSTS?
are you kidding?
how many invitations do you plan to sent?
and to how many people?
printing should be up to $400 for a real simple thing, so if you find this for cheaper, let me know aciiiid

i agree regarding dressers, but its always better to have profesional dressers that have done a show before anyway, this is the least important expense makes no huge difference, venue & PR is where most money goes .

04-01-2004
Wanderlust

Oh. lol

04-01-2004
etre soi-meme

the hight of the runway can vary from show to show salvatore, it can be anything you like but no more than 60-70cm high, best thing is to avoid a raised catwalk altogether

04-01-2004
yes

i dunno how much it costs to post a letter in greece or print for that,
but im certainly not planning any fancy schmancy invites for my shows......none of these leather boxes with scrolls inside like p.diddy

just something that tells u where and when

04-01-2004
Wanderlust

Thanks for the advice. That saves some money

04-01-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 5th, 2004 - 2:40 am
i dunno how much it costs to post a letter in greece or print for that,

you should invite 200+people right?
will they all be local?
like from london?
is it less than a $ for print and invite per person??
you must be joking

ps. my rates are PARIS rates acid

04-01-2004
windowshopping

whooa!! craziness!!! thats a whoole lottta money for a fashion show...!!!

15-08-2005
windowshopping

Wow!!! Lets scale it back a bit..... for a fundraiser for a school of any sort your numbers are going to be much much lower. I've produced/directed and created fashion shows since 2001 and I can say that i've never paid over $4000 per show. All the shows i've done have been for charity so the overhead was my main concern. Here's what my money went to for the fashion show where we raised money for child abuse:

Venue & Food-worked out a deal with a club that had a big arena seperate from the bar that went like this: they keep all the profit from the bar, we keep all the profit from the door. They provided hord'ouerves for the pre-party that took place at their regal martini bar (very upscale) for free

Models-held a model call 3 weeks before the show to scour all the beauties, making them walk a faux catwalk, based their value on the catwalk and their personalities on the runway and chose 30 girls. Later after the first model meeting we narrowed it to 10-15 per set. All the models worked voluntarily (most just wanted the exposure and photos-not provided by us)

Light-very high priority!!! paid $1500 for light and this made the show

Music-we had a musician from phunk junkees and paid much to much for what was done, because of the name $250 all he did was pop in our cd's and let the room go silent between sets (not what we asked for at all) so if you could pretape your music you may get by with just hiring a local dj at much less.

Printing-nothing!!!! we teamed up with a local printer that wanted to donate to our cause and let them put their logo on all the posters, flyers(8x5inch used as both flyers and invitations) & programs.

Entertainment-nothing!!!! we also teamed up with a hair salon and they did 4 sets of hair for the show, put their logo on the flyer and did trade ($50 per performer) with a dance company that supplied 5 sets of dancing entertainment ex. salsa dancers, african dancers etc..

Stage-nothing!!!! the stage was composed of 6 uneven plattforms that we're part of the dancing boxes used in the arena-i staggered them by height and made a snake like shape that went out into the crowd. the height varied from 2 feet to 4 feet high. we practiced walking and turning on the ground for 3 days before the show so the models would be comfortable on the stage.

Clothes-nothing!!!! since our company deviouswigs.com sells to a few local boutiques in the area, and they always welcome publicity- they lent us clothes for free (yup 5 stores lent us clothes for our show at no out of pocket cost) some boutiques had a person there in charge of the clothes and styling them-FREE i designed and had a friend sew my clothes for my set-bought all the fabric at a going out of business sale where all the stuff was $1 a piece.

Make-up-nothing!!!! after posting information about the upcoming show, looking for talent and models a few make-up artists contacted us and volunteered their time for nothing other than getting their name on the program and getting to see the show

Decorations-less than $50 i bought huge black fabric pieces at a scrap place and had someone sew them all together to create a hugh black back drop. we also used the black behind a tarot card reader-she came for free too! and the huge flower arrangements we're donated by a local florist in exchange for being listed on the program. The arena was pretty ornate with huge columns and beautiful big pieces on the walls so we really didn't have to change much.

EmCee-$75 we had a drag queen come out like a renisance girl presenting the show and then after the intro he ripped off the big skirt and started singing "like a virgin" in a body suit. It was the best intro and he did the whole show in drag for the nominal price of $75 (since he is a very prominent make-up artist in the television world he was awesome!!)

For the door people, helpers, security and everyone else we needed to put this thing together we found lots of volunteers and they we're all very happy to be a part of it for nothing.

If your cause is good, your a great networker and you are dedicated to producing a good show you can do it for nearly nothing as long as you put in the neccessary research of finding people who will work with you. In the case of fundraising for a school you can cut out lots of costs just by utilizing your surroundings ex auditorium, lighting, sound and local sponsors of your yearbook are probably more than happy to join in on the fun!!!

Anna Marie

Anna Marie-
"I believe fashion is a canvas for all self expression"
22-11-2005
V.I.P.

HELP! - Putting together a Fashion Show!
Hey guys, so I'm doing an oral presentation (again!) and I would like to know how it's like to put together a Fashion Show.

Any information on the subject (organizing, makeup/hair, picking models, backstage, etc) would be really appreciated Thanks!!!

23-11-2005
V.I.P.

Anyone?

02-05-2006
windowshopping

fashion shows* how to
Hi, i'm new to this forum and is a prospective fashion student who's still currently in high school. I'm very interested and willing to start designing and creating cloths immediately, and for that reason, im wishing to set up a fashion show for my school to display some of the designs that my friends and I will be accomplishing in the next year. So I was wondering if all you fashion experts can give me some tips and advice on the best way to set upthis fashion show.

Some of my concerns are that since the only source for models is inside of my school, and i hafto say that most arnt model material and probably little people would even think of cotributing, what is a good method of promoting and getting people interested to participate?

25-05-2006
windowshopping

looking for advices for holding a show
hi there,

does anyone have some idea about the location and devices and so on?

it'll be even better if it's someone in paris.

i'm just thinking about planning a student show there.

thanks for reply

25-05-2006
etre soi-meme

why dont you try contacting a PR agency in Paris, there are only too many locations and production offices to choose from

26-06-2006
windowshopping

Hi suika blues,
I hope your show turned out good. If your still in the planning stages I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Anna Marie-
"I believe fashion is a canvas for all self expression"
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fashion, music, post, posting, producing, read, shows