How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-08-2005
princely

I just may lie about minor things so my resume wont look so blank, and also so it dosent seem like ive been bumming around during my teenage years

09-10-2005
windowshopping

i'm trying out for a job in retail this week (jay Jays) can any one tell me what is required to make a good impression?

19-10-2005
princely

After you hand in applications at places, do they generally pool the applications together and interview everyone on the same day? Or do they call them the next day asking for an interview?

19-10-2005
V.I.P.

It's variable YBF. Depends on the company, the position, number of resumes, etc. If it's been a week or so and you haven't heard anything, I strongly recommend following up if it's a position you really want. Bodes really well with employers

fashion_addict19 - dress nicely and be well groomed. Speak confidently and directly. Have all the information you need to fill out your application (i.e. references, phone numbers, etc.). Personally, I think it makes a better impression to fill applications out on the spot rather than taking them home, but that's probably debatable. And for retail, ask to speak to a manager about employment rather than speaking to a floorperson or cashier. They could care less about helping you so it's best to make your impression on the person in charge. Best of luck

Last edited by Curious; 19-10-2005 at 06:12 PM.
19-10-2005
princely

thanks curious, im anxious for interviews....i want a job before christmas comes around

24-08-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I moved down to Florida with my boyfriend (he's in grad school), so I'm needing to give my current resume an over-haul...

I'm so confused as to what the format should be. Is there a strict format these days? What's the best route to go on this? I'm so confused!

31-08-2006
front row

With format, I would just use whatever the options are in Microsoft Word or whatever software you have. Those usually work fine. I also have one on monster.com, and I know you can print one from the site if you have one.

I agree with not lying. Background checks will show the truth, and most companies do them.

31-08-2006
V.I.P.

The main things to put on your cv are
Contact details (name, address, telephne number)
Personal profile (a paragraph about yourself for example if you are friendly, punctual, and things relating to the job you are after like creativity, computer skills)
Eductation and Training (qualifications, and any courses you have been on for anything, nomatter how small)
Work Experience (All jobs you have done including volunteer work, with dates and description of job. Try to mention things you have done which would be useful in the job you are applying for)
Hobbies and Interests (Be as creative as possible and don't just go for the usual answers)
Lastly references, normally your previous two employers. If you haven't worked before, then school teachers or even friends of the family who know you well and possibly have their own business or are well respected in the community.

Font should be something plain and readable. Don't use more than one font either. It's best if it's all in black too. Also, someone mentioned using off-white paper which is a good idea.

One page is generally seen as too little and more than two is more like an essay, so try and stick to two pages.

I hope that helps.

31-08-2006
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluejen

One page is generally seen as too little and more than two is more like an essay, so try and stick to two pages.
I think the length is very subjective depending on the country you're in, and the field you're applying for. Because in the US, they're supposed to be only one page. I look at a lot of resumes and we really look down on people as being inexperienced when they have 2+ page resumes.

31-08-2006
V.I.P.

so one page is better than two then?

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
31-08-2006
etre soi-meme

^ always

31-08-2006
V.I.P.

okay...i have to do a resume for another class this semester and business cards and portfolio, etc....

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
31-08-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa
Because in the US, they're supposed to be only one page.
Actually... I've been doing my research lately... and from what I've gathered, that "1 page only" rule doesn't apply anymore...

31-08-2006
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Actually... I've been doing my research lately... and from what I've gathered, that "1 page only" rule doesn't apply anymore...
That's very true, but there are some people who still feel very strongly about it.

I know maybe one person who's been doing what I do for any length of time who has a 1 page resume.

What I do to accommodate both the "I'll only read one page" people, and the people who have to see all the detail before they'll believe you've done anything, is put everything I think is truly important on the first page. Contact info, objective, soft and hard skills, etc. Experience starts on page 2. I'm not going to tell you exactly how long mine is

If someone's a recent grad, that's where one page is really appropriate--IMO.

What you really don't want is your resume screened by some junior clerk who doesn't know jack about what you do. If that happens, you're likely SOL as they may reject your resume for a variety of random reasons ... Like you wouldn't want to use British spelling, or a less common spelling of a word ...

01-09-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Resumes can be tricky.

I'm also curious about something else... cover letters... should you only attach one when requested?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, cv, internships, jobs, letters, resumes