How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2006
Power to the 99%

^ You should always do a cover letter if you can. It would probably also be a good idea to have a separate version of your resume that includes a generic cover letter for when you can only upload a single document.

10-09-2006
front row

I have a few comments...

Lying... I agree with everybody else: do not do it. Somebody that I interviewed told us a few fibs about her past experince. Basically, she listed the software we use in the "computer skills" bit; then, when it came to do the job, she cheekily demmanded that I train her... she was out in two weeks.

Length. I couldn't comment on this. If you join a recruitment agency, they always shorten it to just one page and modify A LOT of the content. I am always grateful when a candidate brings in their own copy because I can see everything they have done. Personall, I like long CV's.

Lack of experience. This is a tricky one. I have just recruited somebody with no experience for my team. In fact, many of the aplicantes had little to no experience, whichI thought sucked at first. Anyhow, main reason for recruiting her is I liked her personality. So don't give up, somebody may see the potential in you a give you the chance you deserve!!

Also...
- Please do not list your retail jobs. If you do, just mention the last one and combine all the skills you gained all into one. Honestly, retail jobs will not impress anybody. Neither will customer services, for that matter. Sorry if it sounds rude but unless the interviewer asks you, please, under no ciscumstances, mention how important you felt when you balanced the till or how calm you remained when a customer was abusive. No-one cares!
- Do not make yourself sound like you're trying hard to impress. Be yourself and adopt the posture of the person that's interviewing you.
- When they ask you if you have questions, ASK THEM. If you don't, you'll make yourself sound uninterested. Standard quesions ("will i be trained", "why did the previous person leave") are OK. Please leave smart-*** questions for another time (they make the interviewer feel unconfortable and hate you with a passion!!).

Any questions, please ask

Last edited by MissP; 10-09-2006 at 11:57 AM.
10-09-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ WOW. Lots of info, MissP. Thanks for sharing.

I did, however, leave some retail experience on my resume... I worked for the same company for 3.5 years, and thought it'd be nice to have a longer job on there... also, it spanned into college, so it's fairly recent. Not sure if I should still leave it... will have to juggle with that one.

10-09-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
^ WOW. Lots of info, MissP. Thanks for sharing.

I did, however, leave some retail experience on my resume... I worked for the same company for 3.5 years, and thought it'd be nice to have a longer job on there... also, it spanned into college, so it's fairly recent. Not sure if I should still leave it... will have to juggle with that one.
Yah, my tips were way too general... when you have interviewed 5 girls, who all happen to have been "supervisors" at the shop, it does rub in a little.

Personally, I'd use the length on your favour. 3.5 years IS a long time and it shows you are a stable person. You're also loyal to your employer and of course, a good worker (or else they would've fired you!!). I take it you're young, so, you can also mention it's helped you mature, learn how to deal with routine and responsibilities (e.g. I am sure you've had to do overtime more than once and be flexible about your rotas). Hope that helped!

offline.

Maybe some of us could post our existing resumes in this thread? Blanking out all of the Specific personal information and company names... just to give people an idea...

But the only thing about that is people might copy it? I dunno I think my resume is pretty good.

10-09-2006
offline.

I had a lit class where we talked about resumes and cover letters and stuff.

I guess nowadays the whole one page thing isn't very strict? But I've been told that people will throw away a resume that is two pages where the person's experience doesn't WARRANT two pages full of information... Like if you've been in the business for 20-30 years.. then yea, maybe you need a two page resume.. but if you're starting out, just graudated... new to the world... a 2 page resume from a novice will be laughed at

Last edited by Luna; 10-09-2006 at 12:41 PM.
10-09-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ That's how I view it, Luna.

I like your suggestion... but I know I'd be leary of people copying my resume/details/format if I posted it...

05-10-2006
tfs star

Im applying for a sales assistant job; on the form it has the headings why do you think you will enjoy working here, what can you contribute ect. what do you guys think i should put here? im really stuck, any help would be much appreciated! (the jobs at monsoon/accessorize)

08-10-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I had a lit class where we talked about resumes and cover letters and stuff.

I guess nowadays the whole one page thing isn't very strict? But I've been told that people will throw away a resume that is two pages where the person's experience doesn't WARRANT two pages full of information... Like if you've been in the business for 20-30 years.. then yea, maybe you need a two page resume.. but if you're starting out, just graudated... new to the world... a 2 page resume from a novice will be laughed at
Luna, as I said I cannot comment on this. I really don't want to misguide anybody. Agencies have sent me lots of CVs of 1 page so I guess that's the standard. Honestly, I would have two CV's: the short one for applications and the longer one for the interviews. The application is normally received by the HR team who filters CVs but the interview is usually held by the person you'd be reporting to... I think making an effort for that person is very helpful

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastars
Im applying for a sales assistant job; on the form it has the headings why do you think you will enjoy working here, what can you contribute ect. what do you guys think i should put here? im really stuck, any help would be much appreciated! (the jobs at monsoon/accessorize)
I wish I could help you more with this...

A few things that always sound good: you enjoy team work, you appreciate the nature of the business and are willing to be flexible with the hours you work, you are a regular customer of the brand and know the product and its customers well.

Also, I think they will ask you the following in your interview:
1- have you ever worked with targets or goals / what was the daily target.
2- what would you do if an item didn't sell as well as we initially thought?
3- what would you do if you had a problem with a work mate?

Those three are extremelly tricky and can make the difference between getting the job or not. Unfortunately there is no right answer for them because each shop works in a different manner according to the manager. If you know somebody that has worked / works in Monsoon by all means go talk to them and try get them to answer those three questions and tell you a bit about the manager.

windowshopping

Cover Letters for Fashion Careers
I just recently graduated and am looking for a job currently. I have been having difficulties writing cover letters and find it very hard since I have no ideas what to write. I know that you should write about the company and why you like them, your experiences...

Although, I have done many internships with good companies, all of them have been about assisting. I have not done anything major there or learnt anything. So, that is my problem. I cannot write about success, when I have not done anything. Help??

13-10-2006
V.I.P.

Well, I don't know about cover letters for the fashion industry in particular but I think that it is about the same for any kind of job.

Yes, you need to note why their company, in particular is of interest to you and to breifly summarize your experience (the details will be in the resume/CV). But more importantly it must be a positive, enthusiastic letter that says something about you and why you would be a great employee for them. So, whatever you do, don't take this negative attitude when you write it.

Search all of your experiences since you were a young child ... in school (school activities, clubs, organizations, sports, theater, chess club, etc.) ... any internships or jobs you've had (even if they ar not related to fashion) and other outside activities you have been involved in. Surely, something that you've done has prepared you to be a good employee. If nothing else ...are you consistently reliable, able to work with a lot or details, respond to changing demands, think on your feet, be part of a team, find creative solutions to problems, respond well to customer or employer's demands, work well under pressure, have a great telephone presence ... even just a perfect attendance record? Somewhere along the line you must have learned you your strengths in the work place, in organizations and in school. List all your strengths, everything you can think of ... why someone would want to pay you money to work for them ... why they would think that you would be an asset to the company and make the boss look good. If you can come up with a list ... then try to think about which of those characteristics would be of most value in the job you are applying for ... and use several of those, when you talk about your self.

It's also good to put a bit about your long term goals ... what you'd like to be doing in 5 years and why this company is a good match for your goals. Most employers like to see a new grad with well thought out and resonable goals. Don't make it look like you want to suck the company for all they can give you and jump ship ... make it look like you'd love to have a long time career with them that would be beneficial to both parties. They call that a "win/win situation" and it's the best way to approach something ... you both need to benefit.

For starting level jobs, they don't expect you to be an expert in anything in particular ... unless it's a technical job. They mainly want you to be reliable, hard working, resonably intelligent and a pleasant member of the team. They will teach you the rest if you don't have all the skills yet.

Internships are more for learning how to navigate the working world and it's politics and making contacts than for learning how to do any specific job. You learn how to be an employee in the environment you hope someday to work in ... and that is valuable and worthwhile. Hopefully you have learned how to be a good assistant. No matter what job you get, you will always be reporting to a boss and will in effect be his/her assistant ... so being a good one is really important.

Last edited by BetteT; 28-03-2008 at 03:50 PM.
18-04-2007
backstage pass

Building Experience to Put on a Resume
any ideas?

Naturellement pulpeuse

Volunteer. Ask to shadow someone.

Last edited by PrinceOfCats; 18-04-2007 at 07:00 PM.
18-04-2007
rising star

Honestly, I need help building my own resume experiences.... I'm definitely not studying anything related to fashion or pursuing a career in the fashion industry, but I often hear the following advice: you can call up local businesses and ask if they are interested in an intern or volunteer (maybe your college can accept credit?)
Also, I don't know how it works in fashion related study but at my university they encourage us to directly email several different professors after reading up on their research work. (I think this is more applicable to hard sciences than something like fashion but at my school the "fiber/apparel" major also does their own research, so maybe, lol...)
So if you can get in contact with various professionals in the field and express personal interest in their work, they might be able to offer you advice and/or opportunities.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, cv, internships, jobs, letters, resumes