How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-04-2008
fashion insider

I think it is ALWAYS safe to stick with Mr./Ms. or Mrs. I'm sure no one will run into it but be sure to correctly apply the terms 'professor' and 'Dr.' to an alias. People get really offended when people fail to acknowledge them as a Dr.

04-05-2008
trendsetter

how exactly should i resume look like (like a crib sheet or something)? i'm from sweden and i don't relly know how different resumes look like from country to country. i'm moving to new york and i really need a nice resume since im gonna be needing a job.

scenester

It seems that many focus on content and finally tend to neglect presentation. As I'm not a native English speaker my posts are not good example though.

I've noticed that very often even basic typographic rules are not respected (don't rely on MS Word!) and also the overall presentation of the CV/résumé does often not leave a very positive impression.

While content is important the overall presentation counts a lot too. Don't mix fonts, avoid unrequired font attribute changes (underlining, bold, italic) and choose an easy to read font. Use a reasonable line spacing and font size.Also avoid text in fancy colors. Black or dark blue is fine but flashy colors look more annoying than creative, are harder to read and may also cause problems with photocopies.

Keep a logical structure and remember that those who read CVs usually don't have much time. So keep it simple and to the point. It's better to omit some secondary information as if the document becomes too long it probably won't be read totally. Make sure your contact data appears clearly on the first page.

Rules about CV/résumés seem to change from time to time so I can't give precise advice, it depends also on the job and the country.

I've seen many résumés and overall most were not very well presented. Even many still had some typos and other typographic errors (be very careful with dots, be consistent).

Last detail: Don't neglect the envelope, double check the address for errors and fold the letter correctly.If you use an envelope with an address window (or however it's called in Engllish) check the placement of the address text. The one who reads your letter will not necessarily always get the envelope but still pay attention to such details.

Blunier

09-05-2008
fashion insider

http://jazzimcg.blogspot.com/search/...%20an%20Intern

If you read a couple of her resume articles, I would definitely trust her opinion. Jazzi has held a lot of creditable positions and internships in the fashion industry, including Teen Vogue intern in LA. She talks a little about cover letters as well.

09-05-2008
fashion icon

Thanks for the blog recommendation romantic. I love reading the experiences of fellow interns

10-05-2008
fashion insider

No problem.

10-05-2008
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I visited this thread a couple of years ago after I had moved down to Florida and was looking for a new job.

WELL - the time has come to move back north to Chicago. I will be moving in less than three months, and it's definitely time for me to spice up my resume.

I am revisiting the length question... and though I plan to stick to one page, those individuals with gobs of experience do not necessarily need to stick to one page. If your info and experience is important enough to merit a second page, go for that extra page.

14-05-2008
trendsetter

Does anyone know about contacting Ford Models for an internship? I can only find fax and telephone numbers on their website and I know most places don't like to be bothered with phone calls.

15-05-2008
front row

What program do you all make your resume with? Microsoft Word?

17-05-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
Does anyone know about contacting Ford Models for an internship? I can only find fax and telephone numbers on their website and I know most places don't like to be bothered with phone calls.
This was on their site. "If you have questions or concerns about any of our information collection or handling practices, please contact us at bdillard@fordmodels.com." Phone calls aren't so bad either I called Wilhelmina last year concerning an internship and they were pretty nice.

17-05-2008
trendsetter

Thanks Katherine!

17-05-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitschristine View Post
What program do you all make your resume with? Microsoft Word?
Microsoft Word has a program that guides you through the resume making process. Open a new document, then go to File, click New, and a dialog box should come up (depending on your version of Word). Here you should find templates for resumes and/or links to download templates.

fashion icon

I do my resumes in Microsoft word, but then I convert it to a PDF file. You never know what platform the person you're sending it to is using, and it helps in keeping your resume exactly how you want it without it getting scrambled going to different computers.

09-08-2008
rising star

im still new here and im working on my CV now..

but the thing is, i nvr work for any company, since i live in indonesia previously, so most of my job is not listed within the government etc2

i work as a model, and a costume maker before.
i also helped at singapore fashion week as a dresser. is this even counted? @_@

and do i need to include the sertificate or anything inside my cv? when i apply for jobs? or just a plain 1 page cv like what everybody said?

*im sorry if its a silly questions, but im really a noob at this
thx before XD

10-08-2008
V.I.P.

What you put in your CV depends on the job you are applying for, I would think. Make sure that you list all the experience you do have that will help you do the job ... even if it is not paid work ... it's still experience. One page is best ... since they will be reviewing lots and lots of them, so they don't like to have too much to read. It should be neat, concise and jobs/voluteer experience/ etc. usually in date order.

I don't know what country you are living in now, but in the U.S. they do not check with the government to see what jobs you have had ... they check with the people/companies you worked for, So here, they want a name, address and phone number of your supervisor or the "human resources" dept. (what used to be called the "personnel Dept.") at the company. We also do not include certificates or diplomas. If they need to verify that you graduated, they will contact the school.

Again ... I might be different where you live.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, cv, internships, jobs, letters, resumes