How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2008
windowshopping

Top Shop In Ny!!? Helpppppp
So I'm super excited about TopShop coming so close to me(NYC)! I'm really excited to apply for the Style Adviser position they are offering-it sounds so perfect for me! I really have my heart set on getting this position and you have to apply through this recruitment site which I always dislike because I feel like they won't get it-I like the old fax method! My resume is complete and up to date and I would love some critique from my fellow TFS members on what you think, as I want it in pristine shape to get a call back from them. The application process dosent require a spot to put your cover page just your uploaded resume but theres other areas like add. info, skills, blah blah where I guess I'de be able to put in that significant selling material! So if your bored and would like to take a peek at my resume please let me know. Much appreciated oxox

20-08-2008
fashion insider

My sister works for Rogers Publication, they Publish Flare, the Canadian Fashion Magazine, her boss, and that bosses boss are pushing me to and in my resume, and I can get a job at Flare, the two bosses are allowing me to use them as a reference, and seeing as their basically head people in the Rogers Publication building, I'm sure I have this in the bag. But what else can I do to my resume or should include on my resume to get the job?

Last edited by BetteT; 20-08-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I answered your question about another thread via PM.
08-09-2008
windowshopping

Great thread! But i guess to send mail to any fashion-house, person should have good CV. If for example all these 7 years i worked as freelancer, what is the prove i can be usefull in working process? Right? Anybody tryed to contact designers with portfolio or CV?

21-10-2008
front row

I'm applying for an internship and one thing that they ask for is an online portfolio. Would anyone recommend any good sites that can help me create this? I want it to be as polished as possible and I'm willing to pay a small fee if I have to, because this is for a big designer, plus I can always use it for other purposes.

23-10-2008
V.I.P.

I don't know if these are applicable or not ... Portfolio Hosting Websites for Designers, Artists, Photographers, Stylists, etc. This thread is about on-line portfolios for freelancers. Many of these sites are very adaptable, have lots of options to customize it to suit your style and you can buy your own domain name for a small fee from some of them, if you want it to look especially professional.

24-10-2008
unspecified

uuuhh that's nice to know! thank you...
i've never lied in my resume, although i've been told to do so and not be "inmature"
however, interviews are a chance to explain why the resume is a little empty. as a contrast looking very sure of yourself, you can say a lot of things that you cannot include in it, but are of most importance to do almost any job such as: i have a very good memory and i always pay attention to little details, i am very organize and i'd never loose anything important, i learn very fast, and i am willing to learn a lot, etc. if however, the interviewer is fixed on the lengh of it, just say, i wish or i'm trying to get it longer (as in: give me the job!!!!!) the mail goal here is to convince the other person that you will do the job very good and that you are not a horrible person to be around. to give a good impression, we have style and fashion!
i haven't apply for many jobs, but i always got them!

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
26-10-2008
front row

What's the difference between a cover letter and a resume?

25-11-2008
rising star

Hi,

I would love some advice on cover letters and their content. I'm looking for some work experience or an internship in New York for a while, up to 6 months, and I need some help on what to write in a cover letter to introduce myself. My CV is up to date and I need something to send with my CV expressing my interest in jobs/internships etc. I'm currently in a Account Management role in my current firm and have a largely client facing role but this I would like to transfer and do something similar in the fashion industry but have no fashion experience.

Any tips or advice on how I can approach this would be greatly appreciated as I have to leave my current job soon before it depresses me even further!!! Thanks so much!! xxx

25-11-2008
V.I.P.

My advice? Read the thread .... and I've already answered what I think in post #44.

19-01-2009
trendsetter

OK, this is a simple, maybe silly question but . . . how do you address unknown people in the greeting of a cover letter? Sometimes all you have is an email address and it has no one's name in it. Or it has part of a name and you can't assume that it's the entire name without any parts omitted or can't tell if it's male or female.

Do you say "To whom it may concern", "Dear HR representative" "Dear sir/madam" "Dear [company name]"? I could keep coming up with ways to address to unknowns but I was just wondering if there is a "best" or a most polite and unoffensive way to approach this.

Thanks!

p.s. If I can find out their real name for sure through some other party I will always use "Dear Mr. Lastname" or "Dear Ms. Lastname" but often there is no one I can ask about this who knows the person.

Last edited by pinksatin; 19-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
19-01-2009
trendsetter

re: my question, I googled around for more info and found some answers to share. And since no one answered the question yet for me and I don't want to hold up my application I'll just choose what I think is best.

For the opening if you don't know the name or sex or the recipient, you can use, "Dear Job Title". But if you aren't sure of that, you can use "To whom it may concern" which seems very impersonal to me. Or "Dear Sir or Madam". This much I already knew but I just didn't know if there was a "best" way or an industry standard. I'm just gonna use the "sir or madam" one since it sounds most polite.

What I found interesting though is the closing. Apparently it isn't correct to use "Sincerely" if you don't know the name of the person. Maybe because then how can you really be being sincere?

So instead you're supposed to use "Yours faithfully" unless you actually know their name (but that seems awkward to me, it sounds too personal and friendly, almost religious or romantic even because of "faith"). Is it just a UK thing or something? Do people use that in business letters about employment in the U.S.? I will probably use it anyway just because the people from the Oxford website say to and they must know better than I do.

From english-test.net, askoxford.com, and wikipedia.

If anyone has better input please enlighten me! But I'll probably just send it now with "Dear Sir or Madam" and "Yours faithfully,".

Power to the 99%

I use Dear Hiring Manager, and I believe that is standard.

I've never heard not to use Sincerely if you don't know them--certainly you can & should be sincere in what you write regardless of whether you know them But an alternative would be Regards or Best regards.

PS I know everyone always says to try to find out the name. But isn't that a bit like stalking? I would find it creepy myself if someone had tracked down my name when replying to a posting that didn't include it ... and I can't help but think the vast majority of other women would feel the same, unless you explained in the letter how you did it, and maybe even then ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 19-01-2009 at 09:32 PM.
20-01-2009
V.I.P.

I've always heard to try to get a name .... and it is usually readily available on their sites or in a company directory for larger companies.

So I don't really think that it's creepy ... I think that it shows that you are doing your homework ... a good trait in a prospective employee or intern. At least, that is how I'd interpret it, if I was hiring. (And I do have management background, so I have done a lot of hiring.)

Also ... calling the department who is doing the hiring can often get a name ... just ask the receptionist for the name of the hiring manager and they will usually be happy to give it to you, along with correct spelling.

20-01-2009
trendsetter

Thank you both for your responses! I couldn't find any directory information online, just a lot of useless other search results. On the website though, they have a part where you can "contact us" so I sent a message asking for a name and explained why I wanted it. Who knows if I will hear anything back. Honestly though, i almost want to just do the sir/madam thing because I always get anxious delaying answering a listing. I always think "they already probably found someone, don't let another day pass!" BTW, if anyone has info or knows how to find the directory, it's for a fashion internship at GQ (listed 1/14 on Ed2010).

Oh, and I decided against the "yours faithfully" thing because although several sites said it was more correct, I never hear that and it feels awkward to me. Plus my dad said he's never seen that used either.

Power to the 99%

^ I agree about "Yours faithfully" ... you don't want to sound stilted, particularly when applying for a cool job

In the case of GQ, you could just call the number for editorial in the magazine ... usually there's one in fine print somewhere.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, cv, internships, jobs, letters, resumes