How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2009
windowshopping

HELP PLEASE

i wanna apply for a job as a merchandising assistant with a luxury brand here in australia.. but im scared bout how to write my cover letter.. i have a business degree majoring in marketing, 3-4 years experience in fashion retail and have been working as a data anaylst for the past few months so i have strong analytical skills.. i am very good at math (and enjoy it ) and have also got experience in fashion pr and fashion week..

any tips of how you all got into merchandising?

19-02-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I would just say mention what you believe are your key selling points--part of which is going to be the breadth of your background & versatility. I always explain how I match the requirements/nice to haves of the position, and then throw in whatever else I have that I think would be helpful. Does that make sense?

19-02-2009
scenester

What are some tips or things to write within a CV? I contacted a fashion magazine if I could do work experience over there and they responded that they have no spots currently open but if I sen in my CV, they'll consider.

23-02-2009
windowshopping

what mag is that mods_ms17??

24-02-2009
fashion icon

Usually Australian fashion magazines leap at the chance for more free labour, so persist

Priss expand what you wrote in that post, and relate it to merchandising, you can skew anything into what you want it to be if you focus on what is relevant Good luck!

24-02-2009
windowshopping

hmm welll no lukc for me i got a rejection letter a day later! not even an interview.. i find just getting an interview the hard part.. once i get an interview they always offer me the job!! (never been turned down, but ive turned them down hehe) but i can never get to that stage,.. i think it is my cv that is the problem!!

15-03-2009
windowshopping

sorry if this has already been asked!!!

Im applying for work experience/ internships soon and along with a C.V. and cover letter, I was planning on sending an attachment of a powerpoint presentation of examples of my design and illustration work.

Do you think this is a good idea? Any tips?

thanks in advance!!!!

31-03-2009
windowshopping

Hi everyone- I am currently living in Europe and planning to move to NYC in the summer. I have work experience, but I'm looking for a career switch to buying/merchandising. I am going to enroll part-time at FIT and/or Parsons in merchandising courses to supplement my undergrad degree but definitely need to make some money and get a job.

So here is the question- I am looking for an entry/lower level job and of course would love to have one before I move- should I apply now? Or should I wait until I'm in NYC and have a chance to meet the career center people at the design schools? I'm scared to go to NYC without a job, but I'm wondering if my resume/cover letter, etc. will be a million times more effective once I have an NYC address and some feedback from people in the industry. Opinions on this? Thanks!

fashion icon

My internship adviser said that it was pivotal to have an "objective" section to a resume but I've also heard that it's outdated and unnecessary -- anyone have any thoughts on that?

31-05-2009
V.I.P.

how about having your objective as your cover letter ^

31-05-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisBelle View Post
Hi everyone- I am currently living in Europe and planning to move to NYC in the summer. I have work experience, but I'm looking for a career switch to buying/merchandising. I am going to enroll part-time at FIT and/or Parsons in merchandising courses to supplement my undergrad degree but definitely need to make some money and get a job.

So here is the question- I am looking for an entry/lower level job and of course would love to have one before I move- should I apply now? Or should I wait until I'm in NYC and have a chance to meet the career center people at the design schools? I'm scared to go to NYC without a job, but I'm wondering if my resume/cover letter, etc. will be a million times more effective once I have an NYC address and some feedback from people in the industry. Opinions on this? Thanks!

Oh boy, I do not know what to say. I have been living in NYC for 6 years now, and gave myself a break after graduation from Parsons, but worked outside the country, so it was not a complete waste. I have graduated from Industrial Design with a very good degree, and always wanted to work in the luxury design industry. That is why I had chosen Industrial Design to begin with, little did I know.

Now looking back at it, studying design, spending all that time and energy and all those sleepless nights was the biggest mistake of my life. I cannot find a job, not even an internship. It is my personal problem, so I will not bore you guys here, but DO NOT COUNT ON THE CAREER SERVICES OF THE SCHOOLS. That is all I can say. The economy is horrible, that they do not have any time or opportunity to help anyone really. There are so many recent graduates etc. who are hungry for the same jobs. I was hopeful that I was going to work as a 'designer': created a very good portfolio, built up a somewhat strong resume (all work experiences are outside the US, but still), went to the best design school in the world, and cannot even get an internship this summer.

I am not trying to bring anyone down: I bet most of you are ten times more qualified to do the jobs you want to do than what I am in my field. And good luck to all. But times are tough, and if you have to work and earn a living, don't leave it to last minute before your move here... would be my suggestion.

I wish I had studied something more substantial, because today almost anything related to design is all about connections and who you know. Even the school or portfolio doesn't count all that much. If you know people in the city WHO CAN HELP YOU TO FIND JOBS, then it is fantastic. If not...

31-05-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynjane View Post
My internship adviser said that it was pivotal to have an "objective" section to a resume but I've also heard that it's outdated and unnecessary -- anyone have any thoughts on that?
Granted I did not have that much success with my own resume, but I think objective is really not necessary. You will most likely apply for positions via email, and you can write that to your subject line like 'regarding an entry level..... etc. etc.)

Plus there are many diff. jobs you will apply to, I feel. It is impossible they will have the exact same job description and/or be in the exact same area. You will have to change your objective constantly, which is silly.

Last edited by b9409; 31-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.
26-07-2009
windowshopping

Hi there,

I am updating my CV and have taken a gap year after education. During the year i took time to re-evaluate what i want from life and where i was heading whilst supporting myself selling vintage clothes on ebay. I am slightly unsure if i should include this on my CV, i didn't achieve anything major and it's not particularly relevant to the job i am going for but i don't want to leave a gap and let them draw their own (possibly negative) conclusion.

I am slightly worried this gap in employment or education could hinder my chances of a successful career in the future!

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!

Last edited by clooojooo; 26-07-2009 at 08:04 PM.
26-07-2009
V.I.P.

I have a gap year in my CV^ but haven't had anyone (or even myself) take a second glance at it.. It's hard to notice anyway, it was between 2003-2004, so when I began listing post-secondary courses it was starting from 2004.. It looked like I didn't have a gap year. I often don't bother writing the months even, so it blurs the dates even more.

I have a lot of stuff on my CV though.. So maybe you could somehow really emphasize the other aspects of your CV. Put your skills and accomplishments in bold titles, and the education history in a plain font

26-07-2009
V.I.P.

I don't think a gap year is much of a problem if you just explain it that way. Then, you could always say exactly what you told us and it can be spun towards whatever field in fashion you are headed. It would work well by giving it a business slant (a young entrepreneur able to support herself) ... for any fashion biz career like buying, merchandising, marketing and possibly PR. And you could give it a fashion slant by showing your learned expertise in vintage fashion ( and the history of fashion) ... for the creative side of fashion such as design, styling or an editorial career.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, cv, internships, jobs, letters, resumes