How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-07-2009
windowshopping

Thank you BetteT and Guis, your advice has really helped me!

28-05-2010
scenester

Hi,
I just finished my resume but one of the magazines I would like to write for is European and requested that I send a CV. Does this mean that I have to write a new, longer resume (length is the foremost differentiation between the two, right?) or can I just send my standard, 1-page resume along?
If a new one is in order, then does anyone have any input on how to create a CV?
Thank you so much!

28-05-2010
fashion icon

Resume and CV are the same thing. You can just send your resume along Of course for every employer, you need to customise/tailor your resume/CV to what their corporate image is like, what they're looking for, the job, etc. Good luck!

04-06-2010
windowshopping

How do you know who does the hiring if you want to apply for a job, besides making a phone call? If you check out their website and they have a few emails listed, who should you email? Can you email the director your CV right away?

05-06-2010
V.I.P.

Human Resources in a big company, is the department that takes the applications and narrows them down to see if they can find any "Matches'" to jobs that are available in the company.

But making a phone call to get a name and a title of the person who is tha actual hiring manager is a better way. That you can address your cover letter (always do a short, but specific cover letter) and CV directly to that person and you don't get lost in the HR pile of applications. And HR is notorious about eliminating applications over a technicality. Whereas, if you find a manager or someone in charge who needs to hire and he happens to like you, he'll possibly bring you in for an interview, before HR see the application ... or at least, might advise HR that he's interested in interviewing you so they don't throw your app out. It's a better strategy, if you can get to the hiring manager first. Tricky ... but more likely to get results, if you can impress him before being turned down over somthing "missing" from you application.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-06-2010 at 03:29 PM.
06-06-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Human Resources in a big company, is the department that takes the applications and narrows them down to see if they can find any "Matches'" to jobs that are available in the company.

But making a phone call to get a name and a title of the person who is tha actual hiring manager is a better way. That you can address your cover letter (always do a short, but specific cover letter) and CV directly to that person and you don't get lost in the HR pile of applications. And HR is notorious about eliminating applications over a technicality. Whereas, if you find a manager or someone in charge who needs to hire and he happens to like you, he'll possibly bring you in for an interview, before HR see the application ... or at least, might advise HR that he's interested in interviewing you so they don't throw your app out. It's a better strategy, if you can get to the hiring manager first. Tricky ... but more likely to get results, if you can impress him before being turned down over somthing "missing" from you application.
BetteT, but lets say its a small company like a modelling agency where their websites list all the directors, bookers, etc. Who should we make the call to, or if we're overseas and email seems a better option to make contact? Should we email the director of the agency to ask if their hiring or...?

06-06-2010
V.I.P.

If a phone call is possible, I'd still call the office and just ask anyone who answers. Just say that you 'd like to send your CV and ask to whom should that be directed. Try to get a real name and their title ... and ask how they like to get it ... via email or snail mail.

If you can't make that call, then an email to a director is probably your best bet.

Then ... do a follow up in a week, to ask if they got it, by phone if possible. That shows them that you care enough and have enough gumption to actually do a follow up. If you are looking for work as a booker or to assist a booker .... you'll need to proove that you are good on the phone and don't mind making difficult calls, anyway ... since that is what they do all day long.

Last edited by BetteT; 06-06-2010 at 12:52 PM.
13-06-2010
windowshopping

What if i'd like to work for a photographer? Do i contact their agent or email them at their 'studio@photographer.com'? photographer's websites don't have much info!

13-06-2010
V.I.P.

Don't know for sure ... direct is best, as always ... no matter what kind of business they are in. Look for a phone number and a street address ... you don't always have to use email .. a resume and cover letter by snail mail is sometimes even better ... will make you stand out. They might be right in your phone directory. But if you can't get to them after extensive research, then I'd try the agent.

Last edited by BetteT; 13-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
14-06-2010
windowshopping

Okay cool. Thanks for your advice! you're really helpful!!

14-06-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovesbeer View Post
Okay cool. Thanks for your advice! you're really helpful!!
I forgot to ask!
I'm currently trying to work for a photographer, probably in NY, London or Paris. But i'm not living there now. How do i ask to work for a photog. thats why far from where i'm living? How do i ask if they would hire me? I'm willing to move! Do i state that when im asking for the hiring manager's details or do i tell that to the hiring manager before giving my CV? And do photogs. have hiring managers?

14-06-2010
V.I.P.

Cover letters have been so hard for me, I never know what to write to stand out. But my resume is finally on point--I recommend using Quark or InDesign, it really makes a huge difference in presentation.

14-06-2010
windowshopping

I agree with LUXXX on using InDesign. I know how people always say to be neat, but i think being neat + creative is a plus. It draws the viewer's attention.

14-06-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovesbeer View Post
I forgot to ask!
I'm currently trying to work for a photographer, probably in NY, London or Paris. But i'm not living there now. How do i ask to work for a photog. thats why far from where i'm living? How do i ask if they would hire me? I'm willing to move! Do i state that when im asking for the hiring manager's details or do i tell that to the hiring manager before giving my CV? And do photogs. have hiring managers?
You state that you are willing to move in your cover letter and you must also say that you will travel to him at his convenience, so he can interview you and assess your skills.

That is what a cover letter is for ... to explain a few things they need to know about you beyond your experience, acheivements and schooling.

Off totpic: Photographers usually do the hiring themselves, but sometimes you might talk to his studio manager first, then if that person is impressed, the photographer will schedule an interview.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-06-2010 at 02:45 PM.
17-06-2010
windowshopping

Is it appropriate to list hobbies & interests in your CV?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, cv, internships, jobs, letters, resumes