How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
29-06-2006
  136
V.I.P.
 
Diorling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,725
Well, I agree partly. But occassionally there is a gem, with spectacular taste! One I found is John at Saks in Chevy Chase, omg, he has a J12 and that's all you need to know!!

  Reply With Quote
 
30-06-2006
  137
fashion elite
 
Ianastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Engulfing a Lobster Roll
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,930
I've applied for over 60 Marketing jobs in Orlando and have not heard back from one.

I move next week.

I've given myself enough time and money to go without working till August. If I don't get a Marketing job by then, it's back to retail for me.

I just can't figure out if I want to go back to doing hair, or skincare/makeup in a department store, or clothes in a department store.


Luckily the Millenia Mall in Orlando has some great choices (I checked last night). Im actually shocked that some of those stores are in Olrando.


Makeup is pretty easy job. It actually gets rather boring. I worked at Chanel (among other companies) and pretty much I would get customers who knew what they wanted already.

I very rarely actually did a makeover.

__________________
It's said,
The map of the world is on you
The moon gravitates around you
  Reply With Quote
30-06-2006
  138
tfs star
 
shoexgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,651
Maybe you should try MAC? MAC sounds like its funner than other counters, more traffic..

*Groan* I'm going to my last day at Rampage tommorrow. Wish me luck closing!

__________________
"Only happiness is intrinsically valuable; other things are valuable insofar as they contribute to happiness"
  Reply With Quote
30-06-2006
  139
fashion elite
 
Ianastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Engulfing a Lobster Roll
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoexgal
Maybe you should try MAC? MAC sounds like its funner than other counters, more traffic..

*Groan* I'm going to my last day at Rampage tommorrow. Wish me luck closing!
I don't think Im MAC material. Im not a drag queen


What I mean is............most of the guys I see working at MAC look like trannies or something. Plus their music is always blaring.

I want to go with something a bit more upscale if I wind up going back to retail. I'd love to work for Chanel again. Or Dior, Prada, Nars

__________________
It's said,
The map of the world is on you
The moon gravitates around you
  Reply With Quote
30-06-2006
  140
V.I.P.
 
Diorling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
I've applied for over 60 Marketing jobs in Orlando and have not heard back from one.

I move next week.

I've given myself enough time and money to go without working till August. If I don't get a Marketing job by then, it's back to retail for me.

I just can't figure out if I want to go back to doing hair, or skincare/makeup in a department store, or clothes in a department store.


Luckily the Millenia Mall in Orlando has some great choices (I checked last night). Im actually shocked that some of those stores are in Olrando.


Makeup is pretty easy job. It actually gets rather boring. I worked at Chanel (among other companies) and pretty much I would get customers who knew what they wanted already.

I very rarely actually did a makeover.
Iana, so wierd, I was just thinking that too, I have one week left and I dont have a job! I mean, I can survive about 1-2 months jobless in NYC, but I dont want to do the uneccessary. It's getting me nervous...I might have to get a job at like The Gap or something (well, then quit after I get another job). What I really want is a job on commission at Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, et al. I have a rack of malls to choose from, Short Hill, Garden State Plaza, Manhasset...All of which have uber-expensive high-commission stores...Okay, Ill give myself till next Tuesday then Ill put in more applications at those malls...

  Reply With Quote
30-06-2006
  141
fashion elite
 
Ianastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Engulfing a Lobster Roll
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Iana, so wierd, I was just thinking that too, I have one week left and I dont have a job! I mean, I can survive about 1-2 months jobless in NYC, but I dont want to do the uneccessary. It's getting me nervous...I might have to get a job at like The Gap or something (well, then quit after I get another job). What I really want is a job on commission at Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, et al. I have a rack of malls to choose from, Short Hill, Garden State Plaza, Manhasset...All of which have uber-expensive high-commission stores...Okay, Ill give myself till next Tuesday then Ill put in more applications at those malls...
I did a test actually. Because of my experience in hair, skincare and makeup, I can easily find something.

I applied at Bloomingdales and within 8hours was called for an interview. So Im not worried about getting a retail based job.

I just REALLY don't want to.

But I guess if it's temp...........till I find something else, I can do it. I just HATE giving up my nights and weekends.

I defintely want to go more upscale in the department store/boutique/store/whatever and the line that I work for though. I'm going to at least be choosy about that.

I had a friend who managed the Nars and Prada counters at Neimens at Tyson's Galleria. She started out making over $20 an hour for them. And she told me that some of the women that worked at the cosmetic counters there were making between $60,000 and $90,000 a year. COMMISION???!!!

__________________
It's said,
The map of the world is on you
The moon gravitates around you
  Reply With Quote
01-07-2006
  142
rising star
 
apertures's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 103
I'm planning on applying to a few small boutiques in my city. I have SOME retail experience, and several jobs where customer interaction is obviously key, however, i really want to translate these onto my resume in a way that looks VERY good for retail. Does anyone have an example of their resume for an entry-level position in retail (preferably one that got you the job)?

  Reply With Quote
07-07-2006
  143
backstage pass
 
Rightguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 545
Hi I wanted to know what age Lacoste starts hiring

  Reply With Quote
15-07-2006
  144
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 3
High-End Retail and Botiques
i worked @ Bloomingdale's from last december to the end of June this year..we got standard 20% off and on certain days 40%. I've applied at D&G and various botiques but never got any responses back. One of my co-workers used to work for Neiman Marcus and said it all comes down to client lists, that is what will get you those jobs...

  Reply With Quote
16-07-2006
  145
fashion elite
 
Ianastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Engulfing a Lobster Roll
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDandGx
i worked @ Bloomingdale's from last december to the end of June this year..we got standard 20% off and on certain days 40%. I've applied at D&G and various botiques but never got any responses back. One of my co-workers used to work for Neiman Marcus and said it all comes down to client lists, that is what will get you those jobs...
Exactly!! That's why those women make so much in cosmetics. The client lists. They have been there so long that they have worn trenches behind their counters. Build up relationships with the old, retired, plastic-ratti housewives.................and can quarantee a sale.

__________________
It's said,
The map of the world is on you
The moon gravitates around you
  Reply With Quote
18-07-2006
  146
front row
 
pinkpalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 460
how strict is polo ralph lauren on hiring?

  Reply With Quote
18-07-2006
  147
V.I.P.
 
Diorling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalm
how strict is polo ralph lauren on hiring?
They consider themselves a boutique, along the lines of Dior, Chanel et al. They're very particular.

  Reply With Quote
18-07-2006
  148
front row
 
pinkpalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 460
I was actually approached by the girl that is in charge of hiring, who stated I had the right look...I found this a little off, but agreed to an interview. i guess what I'm wondering is how to go about acing the interview.

  Reply With Quote
18-07-2006
  149
V.I.P.
 
Diorling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalm
I was actually approached by the girl that is in charge of hiring, who stated I had the right look...I found this a little off, but agreed to an interview. i guess what I'm wondering is how to go about acing the interview.
Oh, so you're already in. She already has a good impression of you then, just show them your customer service skills, they work on commission at Ralph Lauren, they want you to be able to build a client book. Where have you worked previously?

  Reply With Quote
19-07-2006
  150
front row
 
pinkpalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 460
a small boutique that specializes in contemporary lines (trina turk, milly, tibi, 7, R and R; plus luxury accessories. I am just wondering what she'll ask me as I have only interviewed at Neiman's before and I think that was way over my head (the other people interviewing with me were in their 40's, I'm 24). Thanks for all your help!

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.