How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalm
a small boutique that specializes in contemporary lines (trina turk, milly, tibi, 7, R and R; plus luxury accessories. I am just wondering what she'll ask me as I have only interviewed at Neiman's before and I think that was way over my head (the other people interviewing with me were in their 40's, I'm 24). Thanks for all your help!
Oh ok, so you're already in a concentrated high-end enviroment, I think you're fine. Also what they want is style, so you can give your client tips and possibly become thier stylist (big $$) it's just about the next level, selling, styling, relationships...

19-07-2006
front row

just finished the interview, went really well, their standard hiring procedure is 2 interviews, whicxh IO schedualed the next for Friday. I was there for about an hour and a half, does anyone know if they actually call the references and or really use the background checks? I mean, its retail...I always thought retail was something pretty much anyone could do, it's not like I've had any arrests or anything to hide. I guess the hiring process is more stringent than I thought...

19-07-2006
front row

Also, does anyone know what the average comission rate is for high end retail sales reps? Or even a weekly sales number, like merchandise total?

19-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
just finished the interview, went really well, their standard hiring procedure is 2 interviews, whicxh IO schedualed the next for Friday. I was there for about an hour and a half, does anyone know if they actually call the references and or really use the background checks? I mean, its retail...I always thought retail was something pretty much anyone could do, it's not like I've had any arrests or anything to hide. I guess the hiring process is more stringent than I thought...
They never call, THEY NEVER CALL, though background checks, yes. They don't want an axe murderer folding the cashmere.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know what the average comission rate is for high end retail sales reps? Or even a weekly sales number, like merchandise total?
Ralph Lauren is 10% - 13% comission plus free wardrobe. What do you mean sales numbers? At Coach Id average about 15k a week...

19-07-2006
windowshopping

Burberry
Just got a callback from Burberry. Has anyone worked there? I was told they pay a base plus 1-2 percent commission. Doesn't sound like a lot, but their merchandise is pretty $$$. Anyone know if there is good earning potential? Also any specifics on dress code? Thanks.

Marla

19-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaLP
Just got a callback from Burberry. Has anyone worked there? I was told they pay a base plus 1-2 percent commission. Doesn't sound like a lot, but their merchandise is pretty $$$. Anyone know if there is good earning potential? Also any specifics on dress code? Thanks.

Marla
That's nothing!! 1 - 2%. Higher end stores like that normally have 7% and up...Unless the hourly rate is really good...Burberry's not that expensive, think of it this way, a 1k bag, you will make...$20 off of? They dont have many thousand dollar bags..wow

19-07-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
That's nothing!! 1 - 2%. Higher end stores like that normally have 7% and up...Unless the hourly rate is really good...Burberry's not that expensive, think of it this way, a 1k bag, you will make...$20 off of? They dont have many thousand dollar bags..wow
Right, so I'm thinking it must be a pretty good hourly wage. Even at Macy's I generally made 5 percent commission, although that was draw vs commission. I'm supposed to go in on Friday so I'll guess I find out then.

19-07-2006
scenester

Does anyone know if any high end boutiques hire people on a part time basis? I'd really like to work at a nice store while I'm at school but I can't commit to a full work week. Thanks!

19-07-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
Exactly!! That's why those women make so much in cosmetics. The client lists. They have been there so long that they have worn trenches behind their counters. Build up relationships with the old, retired, plastic-ratti housewives.................and can quarantee a sale.
Those ladies really make some of the makeup counters impenetrable for new MAs.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation? Their hostility at the thought of new blood scares me away!!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
They never call, THEY NEVER CALL, though background checks, yes. They don't want an axe murderer folding the cashmere.

Ralph Lauren is 10% - 13% comission plus free wardrobe. What do you mean sales numbers? At Coach Id average about 15k a week...
ahhh...thanks! yeah, the interviewer asked me what my weekly average sales number was, so I est. and figured out my weekly averages of what i was ringing up. Hadno idea it was free wardrobe, I just figured it was a discount. I wonder what they will want to cover on the second interview

20-07-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePrincess2250
Those ladies really make some of the makeup counters impenetrable for new MAs.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation? Their hostility at the thought of new blood scares me away!!
It really depends on the store that you go to, and what counter.

I would just be as sweet as pie, and stay away from their sales. Dont ever go behind their counter. Stay at your own.

Cosmetics is like a war zone sometimes. You just have to pick your battles in order to win the war.

Just be so sweet, that they become diabetic in your presence!!

20-07-2006
windowshopping

Thanks for the advice, I'll try my best to be super sweet and not threaten any of their sales -- I don't want their claws to come out!!

I'll be at Tysons...I think you mentioned something about knowing people who work there?

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePrincess2250
Thanks for the advice, I'll try my best to be super sweet and not threaten any of their sales -- I don't want their claws to come out!!

I'll be at Tysons...I think you mentioned something about knowing people who work there?
Yes!! I know a few.

What store and what counter will you be at??? If you don't mind telling me.

20-07-2006
fashion icon

i'm thinking of applying to be a sales associate at neiman marcus or saks...maybe even barneys co-op..i only worked at one store in high school..but i do have a B.A.

Am I wasting my time or is there a chance for me?

btw.im moving back to the DC area..

V.I.P.

Interview at Neimans tomorrow, I would kill* for this job!!

*I would, don't tempt me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales