How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
That's hilarious. I have yet to have a customer freak out on me, mainly because I feel they fear me. Im not kidding, I never get any lip. Maybe because Im a homoseccal and they fear what I may do.

I actually did tell someone to get out the other day, what it was like 30 minutes till close, I was tired, I asked "are you planning on buying anything?" she said "Im just looking" I said "We're closed, then"
oh my, you are the SA i wish i could be! my managers would kill me.

i'm considering a different job at the moment but i'm reluctant to leave my place. it's easy, the money is good for my age, the hours are little (i can't take on too many) and lots of my friends work there. however, i could earn more and have a more exciting job elsewhere with more prospects really, i'd love to work somewhere exclusive, so i don't have to deal with the people who have a total lack of respect for the products. i know what looks good and i could advise people but i just need the means to do so...

23-10-2006
fashion elite

Quote:

Whats wrong w/ Florida?
Its dullsville

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
Its dullsville
OMG, you should move to South Beach...Seriously...

Aren't you in Hogan country? Does Hulk Hogan and family live around there? They're really gross. You need to get out of the boonies!!

25-10-2006
fashion insider

i had my first training whatever for forth & towne today.

i'm not really that excited, but whatever. i'm just happy to be leaving banana/the mall.

trendsetter

I'd love to start developing my retail resume. At 16, what stores would have job opportunities for me?

scenester

any tips on how to move to more high scale stores??? currently I've been working at express for 2 years, and know i have so much more to offer, but it's hard to find stores that will give a person a chance...my prior experience deals mainly with customer service, rather than retail...(i'm in nyc)

14-11-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
OMG, you should move to South Beach...Seriously...

Aren't you in Hogan country? Does Hulk Hogan and family live around there? They're really gross. You need to get out of the boonies!!
No...I think they are further south.

Looks like I might move onto Boston. Great shops there to choose from. One Saks that I'll probably transfer to, but I'd like to move to a boutique at some point I think.

14-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
No...I think they are further south.

Looks like I might move onto Boston. Great shops there to choose from. One Saks that I'll probably transfer to, but I'd like to move to a boutique at some point I think.
Boston is good, you should work at Dior or somewhere cushy. You're too good for department stores...

14-11-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Boston is good, you should work at Dior or somewhere cushy. You're too good for department stores...
Tell me about it.

Ive worked at boutique like places before, as well as department stores. And its MUCH easier in a boutique............as long as you have a good manager. The structure of employees is better...as its small, and usually only one boss.

A department store has so many bosses..........or people who think they are bosses.

I HATE working on commission when there are so many sharks in the department to worry about. And typically the pay at boutiques is better.

17-11-2006
tfs star

does anyone know what a really high-end designer boutique in a smallish city would pay for a senior sales associate/assistant manager? i'm wondering about the hourly rate, as well as the commission.

also do most full-time s.a.'s prefer salaries, and if so, what is the typical salary? should the job come with benefits if it's salaried (even for independent boutique)?

19-11-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepositano
does anyone know what a really high-end designer boutique in a smallish city would pay for a senior sales associate/assistant manager? i'm wondering about the hourly rate, as well as the commission.

also do most full-time s.a.'s prefer salaries, and if so, what is the typical salary? should the job come with benefits if it's salaried (even for independent boutique)?
I would say for an asst manager...most likely you would be put on salary (my guess would be around like 30-35K?????) and probably would not earn commission.

19-11-2006
rising star

I have 0 retail experience, but I'm considering applying for some sales positions for next summer. It'll be my last summer that I could possibly work in retail. I will be between college and law school and I've always wanted to do retail. Would I be able to work at boutiques in LA like Ron Herman or Millk? I am personable and pretty quick. Is there no hope?

22-11-2006
trendsetter

Is there much weight in physical appearance for a job in high end department stores/boutiques? For instance, if one looked just right and fit into the stores image (chic, fashionable, well put together) but lacked experience is there any advanage to them against someone else who might not exactly look the part (fat, old, unattractive etc.) but has years of experience? Who would they most likely hire?

Last edited by kateelle; 22-11-2006 at 03:52 PM.
22-11-2006
tfs star

Quote:
I would say for an asst manager...most likely you would be put on salary (my guess would be around like 30-35K?????) and probably would not earn commission.
thanks so much! wouldn't the asst manager be unhappy not making commission though? how would she be motivated to sell?

22-11-2006
V.I.P.

^ Managers aren't hired to sell.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales