How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-01-2006
urd
tfs star

I think that if they have a lot of people wanting the same job, it helps if you have previous experience. but if you seem convincing enough, they might not care that you are not that experienced.

you don't have anything to loose if you try, that's for sure

20-01-2006
V.I.P.

At the LV around my ways (which is around your way it seems) the youngest is 20. I think LV is more of a career rather than a job, that's why you see older SA's normally. Did you want to apply at the LV or Gucci in Tysons? That Gucci is known for thier spectacular service, I mean, they have hand delivered things to my sister, which is incredible. That LV are the rudest people ever. Apply at a Coach!

Go ahead. Remember you're a creative teamplayer who is all about service. Also you should send your interviewer(s) a thank you note, just a little note, to show how you go above and beyond service wise.

Last edited by Diorling; 20-01-2006 at 02:43 PM.
20-01-2006
fashion insider

Awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone! My lack of experience is a real set-back, but like you all said, it doesn't hurt to apply!

Diorling-- You're right, I was thinking about applying to one of those stores in Tyson's at the end of my semester. It's about an hour away but I'd much prefer working at a store like Gucci or LV than at a J.C. Penny's

I haven't visited the Gucci there yet but when I went to LV the sales girl who helped me was surprisingly nice (I was actually expecting them to be rude ).

Quote:
Remember you're a creative teamplayer who is all about service. Also you should send your interviewer(s) a thank you note, just a little note, to show how you go above and beyond service wise.
Great idea! I'll def. do that, thanks!

rising star

I shop at LV quite a bit and from what I've seen, there are a lot of super young girls in there and their customer service isn't the greatest in my opinion. They seem like amateurs or like they just don't care. Half of them don't even know the product they sell as well as I do. With that in mind I'm assuming they didn't have a lot of previous experience.

20-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane
Awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone! My lack of experience is a real set-back, but like you all said, it doesn't hurt to apply!

Diorling-- You're right, I was thinking about applying to one of those stores in Tyson's at the end of my semester. It's about an hour away but I'd much prefer working at a store like Gucci or LV than at a J.C. Penny's

I haven't visited the Gucci there yet but when I went to LV the sales girl who helped me was surprisingly nice (I was actually expecting them to be rude ).

Great idea! I'll def. do that, thanks!
You can do it honey! Confidence is what makes a difference. If you do get a job at LV I will of course want a discount....

23-01-2006
front row

I think that if you're applying to a high end boutique it helps if you're either,

A - Older (35+ years old), that way you look "wisdomatic".
B- Sophisticated.

Don't wear a shirt that says "H O L L I S T E R" on it with a pushup bra to the interviewers.

The stores like to create this kind of quite, serene ambience. The music, the people, they all have to fit that ambience.

Out of personal curiousity, how much does the pay vary from a boutique in comparison to oh say, JC Penny? And, is there an employee-discount?

23-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmars
I think that if you're applying to a high end boutique it helps if you're either,

A - Older (35+ years old), that way you look "wisdomatic".
B- Sophisticated.

Don't wear a shirt that says "H O L L I S T E R" on it with a pushup bra to the interviewers.

The stores like to create this kind of quite, serene ambience. The music, the people, they all have to fit that ambience.

Out of personal curiousity, how much does the pay vary from a boutique in comparison to oh say, JC Penny? And, is there an employee-discount?
JC Penney is probably minimum wage or just above, whilst LV is like 13 +.

Oh yes, seem very chic, if you don't have an amazing bag, don't take one, it's shallow but Im serious, they take everything into account. Also imitate the store's dress code (which is normally a black suit with black and more black, so they think "she'll fit in perfectly"

23-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch
I shop at LV quite a bit and from what I've seen, there are a lot of super young girls in there and their customer service isn't the greatest in my opinion. They seem like amateurs or like they just don't care. Half of them don't even know the product they sell as well as I do. With that in mind I'm assuming they didn't have a lot of previous experience.
I never looked at it like this pixie...but it's true. You do want to go to a SA who is more knowledgeable and experienced....and I hate to say that being young in many fields is equated with inexperience. And believe me, I hate that!

24-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Happiness*
I never looked at it like this pixie...but it's true. You do want to go to a SA who is more knowledgeable and experienced....and I hate to say that being young in many fields is equated with inexperience. And believe me, I hate that!
Yeah me too, I'm fifteen years old and whenever I go anywhere my usefulness is equated with that of a bean bag.

29-01-2006
rising star

Neiman Marcus employee discount
Do you really need at least 1 year of experience in sales?
How much discount do they get in the store? 20-30%??
I'm thinking about applying there for a part-time job

29-01-2006
scenester

I friend of my mothers is a bartender in Neiman Marcus and she gets 30% off everything (even sale items)

31-01-2006
rising star

for louis vuitton.. u can only purchase 3-5 items a year for 30% off.. i think they have a few unannouced 50% off days too.

31-01-2006
front row

i work at express (which is a pretty average retail store) and i got 30% off. the managers get 40% and then at certain times we can get an extra 15% or like $20 or so off certain items like denim.

i know adrian vettadini (sp?) can get up to like 50% off but i guess it all depends on the price range of the stores.

front row

i've worked so many places. Aldo, 50% off for 4 pairs a month. Le Chateau (crappier than F21, 50% off, 30% off sale items) Nordstrom 20% plus free makeup when you work as a makeup artist; i've worked at snowboard shops where we get everything at cost.

31-01-2006
front row

all limited brand companies (express, the limited, bath and body works, victorias secret, henri bendel) give 30% to part time employees and 40% to full time ones.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales